• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I thought the wolf was made by SK. Wolf has been a consistent top performer from my Kidd barreled 10/22. I have a couple other brands that did very good. I'll post when I get home. Maybe those brands would work well for you too.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It is, Hop. I also tested Wolf MT last night, but forgot to mention it.

Wolf ME = SK Rifle Match

Wolf MT = SK Standard +

At 50 yards, any of the 4--provided the rifle likes it--will shoot really well. At 100, you will see more dispersion with the MT/Standard +, but even those will still shoot level-up with Eley Club in the rifles I own. Eley Match or Tenex...notsomuch.

I will also mention that I have yet to find a .22 Rifle that will NOT shoot Wolf/SK fairly decently.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I think we can safely rule out the shooter as the source of inconsistency.

I'm sorry, but that's not bloody likely.

That's why I asked Rayne to retest it. We ALL have bad days, and we ALL sometimes have bad groups with a good ammo. I never take one day's test of a rimfire ammo as gospel, no matter how good I think I was holding that day. If I'm REALLY on it mentally, and still shooting like crap, I stop and go mow the yard or whatever. No sense wasting ammo and training the wrong things, even if I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong that day.

Okay...mayyybe if it shoots 2-3" groups at 100 where I just held for 3/4" the ammo before...

But once you have a couple you're really interested in, buying a brick of both, and running that amount through the gun at 50/100/200 will tell you about all you need know for that chamber with that ammo until the chamber erodes enough to bring that round off the lands.

-Nate

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I'm sorry, but that's not bloody likely.

That's why I asked Rayne to retest it. We ALL have bad days, and we ALL sometimes have bad groups with a good ammo. I never take one day's test of a rimfire ammo as gospel, no matter how good I think I was holding that day. If I'm REALLY on it mentally, and still shooting like crap, I stop and go mow the yard or whatever. No sense wasting ammo and training the wrong things, even if I can't quite put my finger on what is wrong that day.

Okay...mayyybe if it shoots 2-3" groups at 100 where I just held for 3/4" the ammo before...

But once you have a couple you're really interested in, buying a brick of both, and running that amount through the gun at 50/100/200 will tell you about all you need know for that chamber with that ammo until the chamber erodes enough to bring that round off the lands.

-Nate

If it was shooter inconsistency, especially in the second test since I was shooting from a sling, wouldn't you expect all the groups to have opened up and not just one or two groups? I absolutely agree everyone has a bad day, where there focus just isn't there. I admit that after the first two groups of ammunition were shot, I got a phone call that my daughter had been in an accident three hours from where I was. I took time off from shooting to check on her and made sure I didn't need to pack my gear up and head for home. I may not have been as focused as I could have been with the last six groups of ammunition. But that wouldn't explain the CCI shooting so well because it was the last group I shot and I was the most fatigued.

All the groups from each brand of ammunition were consistent except for two. I will continue to shoot groups from these two brands along with both Eley and the Aguila Super Extra. I am looking for some SK or Wolf Match Extra to try also. At some point, I may get extremely serious about this but at this point, I am only trying to better my shooting and I have one person, in particular that I wouldn't mind shooting better than occasionally.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The only load that shot as well as everything previously mentioned was Winchester Super X. That's a pretty fast bullet which seemed to hold group sizes out to longer distances. Golf balls at 100 yards are totally possible.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If it was shooter inconsistency, especially in the second test since I was shooting from a sling, wouldn't you expect all the groups to have opened up and not just one or two groups?

No, I don't. There are days when you can hold 1/2 Minute in sling, and there are days when you're just not that tight. There are also groups in drilling that just don't come in as tight as they should have, even though the ammunition hadn't changed from the group just before it.

In this case, think on it:
    --you are resetting NPA,
    ---position,
    ----probably the target,
    ----letting the rifle's bore sit and cool down,
    ------and switching ammunition and wax type without a box or so of fouling rounds to let the barrel get re-coated with a different wax.

I am presuming some on that last one, but some barrels (but more truthfully, some ammunition) REALLY do not like to shoot multiple kinds of lube. Matt Emmons isn't immune to that.

What I'm saying is that I recognize a decent shooter when I see it (and I do), but I also recognize and point out what can be flawed testing protocol (which I feel that I have). Rimfire's are finicky. Once you post two days groups, or several groups in a row on one day, of crappy precision with an ammo, it's probably trash. As I said, the only time I won't do that is if I was running a similar ammo into nice groups, switch for 10-20 rds, then post a 4 Minute group when the hold was fine.

...I got a phone call that my daughter had been in an accident three hours from where I was.

All that having been said, I trust your daughter is a-okay? (things that make parents neurotic)

-Nate

Top Bottom