• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This flies in the face of folks with the "shot placement" argument. Then you ask them what do they carry, its not .22

Not really. Shot placement remains the most important part of the equation within your control. A bullet that doesn't do the job when properly placed isn't much good, though, and the .22 doesn't do enough damage to meat or bone to get the job done with a placement that would work with traditional duty cartridges. It greatly limits what effective shot placement now is.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I know first-hand how ineffective a .22 is for defense. My mother was murdered in front of me when I was 3 1/2 years old. As my step-dad was coming in the back door of the house, my mom grabbed the only gun in the house. This was a small Italian revolver chambered in .22 short. This was my grandfather's gun. I know my mother shot him in the face. I remember seeing blood streaming down the left side of his face. I believe the round basically bounced off his cheek bone. Unfortunately, he had a .38 special and didn't have that problem. He put five in my mother and shot one at me when she told me to go hide in the bedroom. He missed me from a distance of around 7-8 feet.

For those that may be wondering, I believe he used a Detective Special or one of the alloy-framed variants. I had seen the gun numerous times because he had threatened to kill us numerous times. His gun was never recovered by the police.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Grandpa used to kill his hogs with a .22 short. he would slop them, then put the rifle barrel on their head and pop them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    /thread.

Damn.

Yep. Thread can end now for sure. That pretty much sums it up.

I have personally seen a .380 fail to penetrate a treated 2x4 at 5 yards. This bullet struck the target stand on the ground when a lady missed the man size target because of the 20 lb trigger and no sights on her 10 oz plastic gun that was sold to her as being good for ladies.

Family from where I grew up had a domestic dispute. Ended up shooting each other the head shot with the Ruger LCP resulted in the guy getting shot being prescribed eye drops. The other person shot did have a couple surgeries because the ball ammo popes the liver or gall bladder or something in the guts

A personal friend of my mother was murdered last fall. He was a youth minister at her church and just returned from his honey moon. Shootout in the street protecting his new bride. Pocket gun because he wanted to be able to protect his new family. He hit multiple attackers, then shot him. They are sucking air he is dead

I know a guy shoot in the face who lost a tooth and then went on to kill his attacker with a 1911.

Like Coach mentioned, Tom Givens hates little .380s and has his reasons .22 is no better.

The only advantage of a quality lightweight .22 revolver is 8 shots and the ability to press the trigger again if there is a failure. I do have a buddy on a swat team that carries a snubby S&W in his vest. It is super light and very accurate. It is a last ditch third gun after his rifle or Carbine, Glock 17, knives and the other officers has already failed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is this really a question?

I recently read of a tragic event of a young girl dying by being shot in the eye with a bb gun. Maybe that is all we need.

Supports the shot placement argument.

...'cause, y'know, you can either have a common self defense round (9mm, etc.) or shot placement. It's impossible to have both.

Have I mentioned that when my kids were about 10, I introduced them to the 9mm and they could handle the recoil.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Yep. Thread can end now for sure. That pretty much sums it up.

I have personally seen a .380 fail to penetrate a treated 2x4 at 5 yards. This bullet struck the target stand on the ground when a lady missed the man size target because of the 20 lb trigger and no sights on her 10 oz plastic gun that was sold to her as being good for ladies.

Was at a class last year where the one female there had a little .380 that her father got her for protection. She brought his 9mm compact with her as well because she had shot it before.

Went thru the class and then after she brought out the .380 for a little testing. At 3 yards she was not hitting a standard piece of paper (8.5x11). The instructor took the pistol and fired a few rounds... he couldn't hit it either. Finally Jason (member here) took it and walked it on the paper... but not even he hit good.

We all gave our opinion that she should return the gun, because unless she was contact shooting it wouldn't hit... then it would probably go out of battery.

I hope that she heeded the advice. She had a good mindset.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I didn't read the thread, has anyone mentioned how this is not Kabul and something about 11 rounds to the face?!?

Yes.

As an aside, and I have mentioned this incident elsewhere, a new attorney at my firm, when she was working for another firm in Louisville, got attacked in a parking garage. She fought the guy off and shot him with her .380, which ended the attack. However, she now carries a 9mm because she saw how the guy was able to get up and run away after being shot with the .380, including a hit in the neck.

It was kinda big news in Louisville at the time and she has since done commercials for the NRA.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    When people ask me in class if a .380 is enough I always ask them, "How often will you be shooting at naked people?"

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    .22 has killed more people than any other cartridge. The problem is when the gunshot wound kills them. .22lr is a slow killer. They will shoot you back.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    Yes.

As an aside, and I have mentioned this incident elsewhere, a new attorney at my firm, when she was working for another firm in Louisville, got attacked in a parking garage. She fought the guy off and shot him with her .380, which ended the attack. However, she now carries a 9mm because she saw how the guy was able to get up and run away after being shot with the .380, including a hit in the neck.

It was kinda big news in Louisville at the time and she has since done commercials for the NRA.

People have gotten up after being blasted by .45. anecdotes don't mean anything. .380 is fine.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Pistol Pastor We need to get to the range this week. Give me a call Monday

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    Pistol Pastor We need to get to the range this week. Give me a call Monday
    Yes! Absolutely! I shot you a text the other day. If you don't hear from me give me a ring. I actually may be able to go Monday afternoon. Will have to check with the family. I just got my son a Ruger 10/22 for his 11th birthday and we went and shot it today. He LOVED it! So, especially now, the more I can learn the better!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    People have gotten up after being blasted by .45. anecdotes don't mean anything. .380 is fine.

.380 is the smallest cartridge I've seen consistently break bone, so it's where I'd put the floor for a carry pistol. That said, while people do walk around after being shot with a .45 and with a .380, not in the same numbers. The main issue with .380 is finding a cartridge that will both expand and penetrate sufficiently, every offering I've seen so far does one or the other. In the common duty calibers, you can get both along with being barrier blind.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have to spread rep before hitting BBI again.

I was at the gunshop yesterday, young lady was in the shop with her Uncle. Her apartment had been broken into and she wanted a gun. OK good! ( Let’s not get into the weeds about training and such). So the goal is find her a gun. She insisted on a manual safety with a total budget of $400. (Context is important). I was with another guy who happened to be a police officer. When she started looking at .22s I thought this guy was going to come unglued. I told him to chill and just hang lose. Let my team mate let her work through the options. Finally she started asking other people what they would do and I told the officer “now is your time to interrupt and give your opinion”. She ended up buying a medium sized 9mm. Sometimes you just have to let people work through scenarios.

Oh and .22 and especially .22 autos suck for self defense. Was that mentioned?

Top Bottom