• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Looking for a 22 handgun for my son. He is 6 and just shoots a 10/22 with the help of me. He has small hands since he's 6. I would also like to plink with it and I don't own a 22 handgun. Any recommendations? No price preference, 22lr, plinking, small/thin grip, reliable, and something to train him on of course is what I'm looking for.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can't really recommend a handgun, but if you decide to get him a rifle he can shoot without help, I'd suggest the Savage Rascal.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Go with a revolver , and Ruger ,they make 2 that are reasonably priced . They are great shooters for kiks to learn on . Ruger Bearcat , 2 Ruger Super Single Six Convertible .

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I second the Ruger SR22. Cheaper than the Walther P22 and more reliable to boot. As bikeman said, the grips are swappable to fit different sized hands

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The Ruger Bearcat is a good suggestion. I gave my son a Bearcat for his 7th birthday. They fit the hand nicely. Being a single action, there is less of a chance for firing the gun accidentally like with a semi-auto. Heck, I still using it for cowboy side matches. They are nice little guns. Also, steel and wood are nice for something special, like his first handgun.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The Sig Mosquito worked well for a friends son.
    2013INGONWIMay_08.jpg

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    At 6 years old I'd wait and buy him a full size pistol later on. He will be grown and be as big as you before you know it. And keeping a 6 year old from sweeping you with a pistol is infinitely more difficult than a rifle.

Let him shoot yours in the mean time.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have a SR22 and it is a great gun. For learning to use a pistol and not knowing how advanced your son is I might have to go with just a good inexpensive revolver, maybe even a 22 short. That way you could even skip a cylinder between shots to keep him slow and deliberate. I could see my 5 year old son trying to go full Rambo with a semi auto.:ar15:

jim b

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    My son started with a couple of mine when he was 7. I had a single action revolver and a semi auto that he started with.

The SA revolver he started with was a Heritage Rough Rider with a 3" barrel and birds head grips. The small birds head grips were just the right size for his hands and the 3" barrel helped to keep the weight low. He could cock the hammer back by himself no problem. These can be had well under $150 and I don't think there is a reason for the combo because 22 mag out of that little gun is to loud for somebody learning to shoot. Bearcat would also be a great choice but I would really check out some birds head grips.

The semi auto was a S&W 2214. Again, small grips and short 3" barrel. These can be hard to find so good luck (if your interested in one hit me up). He has since tried the sr22, and p22 but those hove been sold and he, and I, still prefers the 2214. He could not rack the slide on his own at first. Might also want to check out one of the tip up barrel 22's from Beretta or maybe Taurus.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I, too, was going to suggest the Beretta bobcat or Taurus pt22 with the tip up barrels.
    I've owned them both at one point in time and they'd be decent first guns for a kid.
    at first you won't even need the mag if you want to just use it as a single shot...
    and they're tiny, low recoil guns. the Beretta is a little higher quality than the Taurus

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm not currently in the market for a 6 year old, but good luck with your trade request. :yesway:

Well if the child was a girl, she could just take the gun from you :stickpoke:

To the OP, what other handguns do you have? Is there something that you would be moving him up to at some point? It would be important to know whether that is a consideration and what it is. Also, if you are looking to plink/train with it, might be a consideration. i.e. if you were an M&P guy, it would make sense to get the M&P 22. If you were a Glock guy, might make sense to look at an AA kit, etc. For a 1911 guy, a GSG might fit the bill.

If it is strictly for the boy and his first handgun without that consideration, others have covered the bases.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I Coon fingered the Browning 1911-22 today at my LGS. This is really small. Browning says its 85% the size of a standard 1911. Seems smaller than that. Nice gun though.

Top Bottom