• ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I'm looking for suggestions on a .22 handgun for my 22 yr old step-daughter. Here's the deal. She has a .38 Taurus model 85 that he ex husband bought her. The problem is that she has always, even as a child, reacted badly to loud noises. Couldn't even take her to the fireworks as a kid.

She has fired her .38 twice and then freaked out.

Recently I took her to a local range during a slow time. Between my own and the range officers coaxing ( I think she thought he was cute) we was able to get her comfortable shooting my wife's S&W 22a. We was able to get her to run at least 200 rounds down range. The report of a .22 firing didn't case her to lose it.

The issue is that she is a college student who lives in a just so-so area of town in an apartment by herself. We want her to have, and she agrees that she needs something for home defense. So, I'm on the lookout for a .22 handgun. The S&W 22a I have experience with, but it's kind of big. What else is out there for under $300 bucks? I have looked at a small Beretta 21a and a small Taurus PT22 semi auto, anyone have any feedback on these?

I know a .22 isn't the best home defense weapon, but that's the best I can do for now and I would rather she have something she is comfortable with than something that she is scared of.

Thanks for the feedback.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    the taurus pt22 sucks. My wife got one new and had nothing but problems with it.

I would recommend either:
    Beretta 21a
    Walther P22 (I love mine, very reliable)
    A 22 revolver (taurus are ok...)
    Pheonix Arms HP22
    bersa 22's (if you can find them)

you might consider 25s instead, same recoil and noise but a little more reliable I bet. Ammo is more expensive though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Lots of things to try:

1. Double up on the hearing protection, plugs and earmuffs.

2. Try a bigger .38 than the Taurus 85. It will not jump and flash as much.

3. What about a suppressed .22 with standard velocity ammo? Sounds ideal for her.

The only reason I have a suppressed .22 is for a training pistol.

What else is out there for under $300 bucks?

What about the Ruger 22/45?

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had a couple of the PT22's and never found them to be something I would trust for defense.I don't have any experience with the Walther P22 other than holding it at a shop.It was a little small for my hands but would seem to be perfect for a lady for around $300. I've also had the Sig Mosquito and wouldn't even think about buying another one. Best bet is to find something she likes and search forums on what people have to say about them.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Is the 22a too big for her to comfortably handle? If she likes it at the range, I don't see any problem with using it at home. For home defense, you aren't worried about something small and concealable.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Is the 22a too big for her to comfortably handle? If she likes it at the range, I don't see any problem with using it at home. For home defense, you aren't worried about something small and concealable.

No, the S&W 22a isn't too big for her hands. I just thought something smaller would probably be easier to get out of a nightstand drawer. I like the 22a, it's just that I'm an S&W guy and wanted to see what else was out there. Should I not find something else I like, I will get an S&W 22a. I mean, they are like $250-260 bucks.

dyoung707

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Mooresville
    As a self defense 22 pistol I would go towards a revolver. Without much training FTF would be easier to overcome. Even with a reliable 22 pistol, ammo could still be unreliable at times.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Should I not find something else I like, I will get an S&W 22a.

Oops. Big mistake there. Check the "Women and Firearms" section or read the Cornered Cat site's section for men on understanding women and guns. You have good intentions in trying to select the best gun for her circumstances, but they often prefer to choose their own and find one that they feel comfortable with. Feel free to point her to a group that you feel are likely to be good candidates, but then get her to a shop (or the 1500) to handle as many possible so that she is happy with the decision.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    what he said:D

Double up on the hearing protection, Muffs & Ear plugs?

Already did that when I took her to the range. Plus, if she is checking out a bump in the night, it's unlikely she will be wearing hearing protection.

I mean, I'd love to see her be able to handle something bigger, but she really freaks out at loud bangs! I've only known her for 4 years, don't know what exactly in her history causes this. One time I brought a stack of text books into the room and dropped them on the floor and she became a basket case. I want her to have some protection, but it has to be something she is not afraid to use.

A suppressor would be great, but I need to keep everything around no more than $300.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Double up on the hearing protection, Muffs & Ear plugs?

Already did that when I took her to the range. Plus, if she is checking out a bump in the night, it's unlikely she will be wearing hearing protection.

I mean, I'd love to see her be able to handle something bigger, but she really freaks out at loud bangs! I've only known her for 4 years, don't know what exactly in her history causes this. One time I brought a stack of text books into the room and dropped them on the floor and she became a basket case. I want her to have some protection, but it has to be something she is not afraid to use.
    QUOTE]

Dang - this sucks. What she may have is a condition called hyperacusis. It is an issue where noises can really set the brain off - basically overloads the circuits. I know as I have had it. For me it was caused by neurological damage caused by Lyme disease from a tick bite. Got to the point to where if my wife dropped a fork in the kitchen and I was in the other room it would set the hairs on my neck on end. After treatment it is much better. For your step-daughter it can just be she has a very low innate noise threshold and there may be therapy. Seriously - i feel for her - this is can definitely be tough to deal with.

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I would reccommend the Walther P22. They are smaller and would fit into most womens hands very easily. They come with two backstraps. I have had very few issues with mine once I broke it in. I got mine for my 11 year old son and it fits in his hands nicely and he is very accurate with it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom