• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I'm ready to pull the trigger on a Henry Golden Boy. This would be my first purchase on a lever gun. I have plenty of other types but it looks like it would be fun to shoot something different outside. This is just going to be used to plink around outside. Any bad or good experiences? Also, any preference on youth or full size? I'm not a child but thought it was interesting that the youth's price is higher than full size.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Henry has mastered the lever action, having probably the slickest out of the box feel of any lever rifle available.

I personally bought their large loop carbine and am thrilled with it. Great plinker, super accurate using just the iron sights, and digests anything you feed it. Also Henry service is among the best of the best should you need them.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    I have the regular henry 22 youth and love it. Got it as a kid and have had it for 13 years. Still very accurate and like the other poster said eats anything I put in it. I doubt you will be displeased with your purchase.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My dad has a golden boy and the mare's leg. They are both a blast shoot. But his .357 is my favorite.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Congratulations! I've only handled one once and it was sweeeet. The one I handled was through an almost purchase from a fellow on INGO couple of years ago, unfired new in box. A very sad story. We removed the velvet cover off the brass receiver and there was a nice 3" scratch on it. Both buyer and seller were crestfallen.

I love so many things about leverguns, one of them being that it is (I think) an uniquely American configuration for a long gun.

Have fun, and looking forward to a range report.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Hope you have ammo!

I have the regular Henry .22. Took it out shooting with my daughter this weekend went through half a brick. That Henry was slick to actuate. Love it. Golden boys are nice looking, but I'm happy with my regular one.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Also own the standard 22 lever Henry. Fun gun, accurate enough for me, and a blast when teamed with my 1873 Plinkster(Chiappa). Single action and lever are like the old cowboy days!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I purchased one this morning. Now I just need to get out tomorrow and shoot.

Congrats! You're gonna love it. I have 2 Henry's. A 44mag and a 45-70. I love them. I had trouble with the mag tube on my 45-70 and they shipped me a new one and did not ask me anything except address. Customer service would appear to be awesome! We need a range report!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I picked up a full size Golden Boy a few months ago, in .22 magnum.

I don't have a ton of rounds down the tube, but so far I have nothing bad to say about it. The ballance is good, the cycling of the lever is smooth, the feeding and ejection are perfect, and the iron sights were spot on out of the box. I enjoy shooting the caps off water bottles at 20 yards.

Its a little lame that the reciever isnt actually brass, but rather ZAMAK with a proprietary finish... but I cant complain too bad, because it has a nice heft and looks great. I also think the tube mag is a bit slow loading for long plinking sessions, but they make a speed loaded for that i may eventually pick up.

I was actually looking to buy a cheap savage bolt action as a knock around gun, but the Golden Boy won me over. It handles and looks so nice, that I had to give it a chance; I'm glad I did because it shoots just as well.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I took it out today and I have no complaints. It's such a pretty rifle that a deer actually came to check it out. We had a deer come out of the woods and just looked at us. It eventually walked about 10 to 15 yards towards us and looked at us for about 2 minutes before walking into the woods. The deer had no fear of the sound of gunfire and just wanted to check it out. I'm guessing I will never see that again. Back to the Golden Boy, it was accurate and I enjoyed getting used to the lever action. It will take some time for me to get the muscle memory down. I'm definitely shooting cans next time.

Top Bottom