• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've got an ad up right now trying to trade a .40 caliber pistol for an SR22 or P22 or Mosquito.
    My wife finally wants to start shooting. She's convinced that she should "start" out with a .22lr pistol.
    Doesn't matter what I think...I'm just glad that she finally wants to start going to the range with me!
    Now if I could only get someone to trade me one then we'll be set! :cool:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I can only talk about what I've shot. I have an SR-22 and it does a great job, no real issues ever and pretty fun to shoot. IIRC, I got it for about $260 at ZX up in Goshen a few years ago.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I've got an ad up right now trying to trade a .40 caliber pistol for an SR22 or P22 or Mosquito.
    My wife finally wants to start shooting. She's convinced that she should "start" out with a .22lr pistol.
    Doesn't matter what I think...I'm just glad that she finally wants to start going to the range with me!
    Now if I could only get someone to trade me one then we'll be set! :cool:

She should start out with a .22. Over the years I have seen way too many men introduce people to shooting(male and female) by sticking a hand cannon in their hands. After a couple shots, they decide they don't like shooting anymore. Then it is even harder to get them to take up the sport.

They will let you know if and when they want to up the power factor. My wife shoots all my calibers at least once, but she still prefers the .22. If she decided to start shooting a .38 or a 9, great. If she wants to shoot .22 forever, great. Either way I get to spend time with my wife at the range and I can spend money on guns! lol.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Another +1 for the Ruger Mark III. Mine is a rock but loves hi velocity ammo the best. I'll aslo chime in for the ISSC M22, a Glock knockoff in .22. I have both and my girl likes to shoot both, so they get a lot of use.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    .22 Rimfire in general is more prone to failure than centerfire in my experience.

The Ruger MK II and MK III are very good pistols. They are tricky to reassemble the first time but afterward I can't think of any negatives other than size.

The Sig Mosquito had mixed reviews and it is recommended that you fire a box of CCI Mini-Mags through them before switching to cheaper ammo. However, I have personal experience with two of them that were "broken in" with cheap ammo and both work fine.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    I've shot the M&P, Ruger SR22, Walther P22, and Ruger Mark III. I liked and shot all of them well. The only complaint I have is with the magazine disconnect in the Mark III 22/45 that I own. For me its removal is a necessary mod (but not difficult or expensive) because it adversely affects the seating and release of the mag. Anyway, I think this one comes down to personal preference and use. I've often thought about how nice an SR22 would be to keep in a backpack or bug out bag, etc. I'm also assuming the OP isn't interested in a wheel gun... I honestly think if I ever buy another .22 handgun it will be a Smith or DW revolver.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    A revolver is definitely not out of the realm of possibilities! Heck, maybe I "need" both! I will definitely shop around before making a purchase. I appreciate everyone's input!

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Ruger SR22 if you're looking for something more in the style of larger caliber defensive handguns.

For target shooting Ruger MK3 or 22/45.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Honestly, if you use cci mini mags, no gun should have a problem, but whatever you choose, just remember semi-autos prefer hi-velocity ammo. If you don't want to be tied down to any one kind of ammo, get a revolver.

Personally, I can't believe how much fun my Beretta u22 neos has given me. Very light weight, full length rail up top, and by far the coolest, and most ergonomic gun I own. It is extremely popular at the range as well. But you should definitely shoot them all before you decide. I know, sounds terrible right? ;)

aeroe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I can only talk about what I've shot. I have an SR-22 and it does a great job, no real issues ever and pretty fun to shoot. IIRC, I got it for about $260 at ZX up in Goshen a few years ago.

This past November the threaded SR22 ran me $330 in the ZX Fort Wayne store. MSRP was up to $439 on Ruger's site.
    For curiousity's sake I ran a box of subsonic through it, it cycled fine. But 50 rounds isn't the most comprehensive trial either. The only other 22LR I have on hand is Aguila Supermaximum Hyper Velocity, and I feel silly typing that.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    Just today, I picked up a P22. I was considering a Sig Mosquito, but decided on the Walther. I have shot them before and look forward to shooting this one. I am not pleased with the single mag from the factory. Extra ones are not cheap.

alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I have several 22lr pistols and I like my model 617 10 shot really well. However if you cannot get 22lr ammo, what is the point? You might want to get a 9mm or other center fire, just because you can actually find it!

Top Bottom