• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I like the way the rugers look. I'm going to go see how they feel im my hands they look like a good, simple gun. Thanks guys.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    If you are talking about the Mark XXX Ruger, it is a sweet gun; you can't go wrong with one and they have made them forever. Go forth and find yours and enjoy!

Last edited:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Add me to the list of Ruger, Browning supporters. The others are fun plinkers. A good target type Ruger or Buckmark will be a pleasure you can have for a lifetime and leave to your childern arter your gone. I've got a bull barrel Buckmark. Like Epsylum's Ruger target, it will punch the center bull out of targets all day long and will last forever. Why buy a good gun only to want a great gun later on? Both have nice crisp triggers that make you a better shooter. Your choice: toy or tool.
    The only thing better would be a S&W 41 or a ture olympic pistol but they are truely dedicated target guns. The Browning and Ruger will hunt too.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    My most accurate wheelgun

I will probably get some rolled eyebrows but I have to say my favorite handgun to shoot and probably my most accurate is my S & W Model 29 revolver with 6.5" barrel in the 44 mag. It does have a kick but not as bad as people might anticipate for this size load. The problem is the ammo costs so darn much and it is so loud when shot in an indoor range.

I enjoy shooting my Ruger and Browning but still have to get the old Dirty Harry gun out ever so often and blow the dust out of the barrel. The last time I shot it at Pops the checkered grips cut into my palm so I put my rubber grips back on. The gun does not look as sharp without the wood grips but it sure feels much better when it goes off. :twocents:

Add me to the list of Ruger, Browning supporters. The others are fun plinkers. A good target type Ruger or Buckmark will be a pleasure you can have for a lifetime and leave to your childern arter your gone. I've got a bull barrel Buckmark. Like Epsylum's Ruger target, it will punch the center bull out of targets all day long and will last forever. Why buy a good gun only to want a great gun later on? Both have nice crisp triggers that make you a better shooter. Your choice: toy or tool.
    The only thing better would be a S&W 41 or a ture olympic pistol but they are truely dedicated target guns. The Browning and Ruger will hunt too.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I know the thread was origionally started to discuss favorate .22 pistols BUT, since Michiana brought it up, my fun boomer is a 357 Maximum Blackhawk or 44 Mag Super Blackhawk with some stout H-110 reloads (ported barrel. Really echos off the walls.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I know the thread was origionally started to discuss favorate .22 pistols BUT, since Michiana brought it up, my fun boomer is a 357 Maximum Blackhawk or 44 Mag Super Blackhawk with some stout H-110 reloads (ported barrel. Really echos off the walls.

Yeah, I tried to sight in my .22 rifles a lane next to a .357. So I stopped that for a bit and pulled out my .44. :)

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Years ago I kept some hot (23.5 gr. 2400) 45 Colt loads in reserve for my 3 screw Blackhawk to use when I was getting pelted with hot brass form the kids and their 22 auto's. They didn't have ear protection, I did.
    PS DO NOT USE THIE ABOVE LOAD - VERY OVERPRESSURE

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Don't buy anything yet. Get to as many gun shops/gun shows as you can, and handle everything you can get yer hands on. You're shopping for "feel right". You'll know when you get hold of it. It doesn't matter what I shoot best with........ it doesn't matter which gun was voted "most likely to succeed". What matters is if the handgun "feels right" in your hands. Just like shoes, if it doesn't "feel right", you'll never wear them / shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

I have Buckmarks, Mark II's, S&W's, Taurus', and others, but the Buckmarks "feel right". I shoot all of them, but i shoot the Buckmarks better......

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I agree 100% with Jay on this one; find the gun that is "right for you" and stick with it. For me I have two favorites, one being my Ruger Mark 1 and the other my Ruger Single-Six. I enjoy wheel guns the best so given the option of keeping only one I would choose the Single-Six. Target shooting should be enjoyable and it is hard to really enjoy getting pounded from a .357 or 44mag for an extended period of time. You can shoot 22's for hours without going deft or ending up with numb hands.

I took my wife shooting at Pops a couple weeks ago and it was her first time shooting a gun so I took my Rossi Gallery pump and loaded it with 22 shorts for her. It has almost zero kick and she really enjoyed the experience. Of course we had some ear pounders a couple lanes over that made it uncomfortable for her. Next time I will take her to an outdoor range where there is less smell and noise.

Again you need to find the gun that feels right for youand you will have a lot more fun at the range. :twocents:

What matters is if the handgun "feels right" in your hands. Just like shoes, if it doesn't "feel right", you'll never wear them / shoot it enough to become proficient with it.
    quote]

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I hear that is a nice range to shoot at and is in the city. Is it only open on weekends?

Yes. IMPD has it during the week. It is one of the cheapest places in town if you buy the 10 visit pass ($65). That makes it $6.50 a day (not an hour, the WHOLE day), the pass has no expiration date, and you can share it with guests that you bring. They allow pistols and rifles in handgun calibers (basically, what kind of gun was the round originally chambered for, 5.7x28 is considered a pistol round), all rimfire, and all shotgun loads (except ones that can catch things on fire, so no dragon's breath or whatever). Only black powder substitute is allowed for the front stuffers though. Targets can be anywhere from 3-60-ish yards. There are even rifle tables for those who want them.

There is also a wacky cast of characters there that you may semi-recognize from this very forum. ;)

A link to the website should be on the left side of the main page here.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    I'm thinking about buying a 22 handgun. I have three 22lr rifles and find them fun & alot cheaper than my AK to shoot. So I know how dirty they are and that feed problems are usual. I have several handguns. But they get expensive to feed. I want a fun, reliable, and affordable plinker. So what would you recommend? And why?

THE important stuff is bold!....lol THANKS! Turtle! Turtle!

I recommend a S&W 22a or a Heritage revolver.
    22a - Under $200 (Wholesale)
    Heritage Revolver - $120 (Wholesale)

Both are reliable solid pistols.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Add another vote for the S&W 22A or 22S good price, excellent accuracy, and it feels like a full sized pistol. :yesway:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If this was a poll I would pick the Ruger MKII or MKIII.

They can be a pain to clean the first time or two. After that it is cake.

Also the price of extra mags. The gun comes with two and new ruger mags are right around the 20.00 mark or less. I believe that the other guns only come with one mag and the extra ones are a lot more money.

-James

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have a Colt target pistol and used to have a Ruger MkII with a Bull barrel that I want back. I just bought a Walther P22 for plinking and for fun. I also bought a Gemtech silencer for the pistol just so I can plink in my back yard and not disturb the neighbors.

I live in the country but have a 10 house subdivision that butts up to the north side of my 24 acres.

Top Bottom