• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I'm looking to get a new .22 pistol in the near future. General use will be plinking and having something for the wife to get comfortable with shooting. I'm not real familiar with the .22 handguns, I've always had that caliber rifle though. Growing up my dad had (a HighStandard Sport King, and an Iver Johnson TP-22) and I shot both of those quite a bit over the years. I currently borrowed those to possible use to teach my wife, etc. Though I took out the Iver and it was a jam-o-matic, not to mention it was a noisy little thing. While the HighStandard shot amazingly, it has a very low trigger weight. So, I really don't think either of these would be the absolute best to teach her with. I will most likely try to buy used to save a little if possible, but would like to stay under $300-400, again, if possible. I'll sacrafice on quality just a little since it's only a plinker but still want a good gun. I've looked a little at the S&W 22a's, kinda like them. Looked at some Walther P22's, kinda liked them. On the other end, I've looked at the Ruger MkIIIs (and similar style guns) and like those as well, plus I'm very fond of the GP-100 and 10-22 Rugers that I aleady own. What are everyone's recommendation for a .22 pistol to help a wife getting into shooting? I guess another possibility would be a wheel gun, that's what she'll eventually carry if/when she decides to, so would a revolver be better? Not limited to the models I mentioned, what do you think? Personal experiences with anything would be helpful.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)

There is a large variety for what you are looking for. I prefer my Ruger's but own several other brands. The Ruger MkIII and the Buckmark are excellent handguns for a semi auto. Bersa also makes a .22 semi auto that is small enough for plinking or carrying.
    Revolvers are pretty much Taurus unless you will to spend what you can buy 2 guns then I would look at Smith. Taurus makes the 94 in a 2 in. snubbie, or a 4 or 5 inch model. Smith makes the 317 in a snubbie or the 617 in a 4 or 6 inch barrel. Hope this helps

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My wife really likes my P22. It has been a good "training" gun for her, her mother, and some other folks. Heck, I still plink away with it!

However, if your wife will eventually carry a revolver, then I would find a .22 wheel gun for her to start with. No sense in learning on a semi-auto if she is just going to switch. I've seen several move through the classifieds on here recently. You should be able to find a good deal.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a P22 and a Charter Arms Pathfinder. Love them both and shoot the crap out of them for cheap. There is the Taurus 94 I have heard mixed reviews of and S&W makes some .22 revolvers. I would look at something that is SA/DA like the carry revolver would be. Good luck with your decision.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I've got several, but I like the S&W 22A for a plinker. You can pick one up for about $200. new if you watch the sales.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It has already been mention but I must agree that the Walther P22 is a very fine gun. I trained my girlfriend on it and by brother has taught his two kids how to shoot with it as well. It is finely made, accurate, low-recoil, and relatively quiet. The only thing that you need to be aware of it that you don't use cheap ammo with it. I've used Remington and it jams every other mag in it. Federals about 1 every hundred and with stingers, have yet to have a single jam. They last for along time. My brothers has about 3k-4k rounds through it and it still shots beautifully.

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    I purchased a P22 for my daughter that she really likes. I shot it several times nice shooter 5 inch barrel, looking to buy one for myself. My favorite is a Hi-Standard Sport King with bull barrel and red dot, and an AR15 flash suppressor- I get a steamer everytime I shoot it!! wow

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Ruger MK II is the only way to go.....I have one with a 10" bull barrel and it is a REAL tack driver at 50yds......true that is with a scope and bench rest but makes me giggle every time I shoot it.....You can't beat the Ruger for accuracy....I now looking at one of the new 22/45's with the 4.5" threaded barrel....get some new sites on it and I think it will be my new fav.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    I've owned a P22 for about 3 years, and it is a great little gun. It's fun to shoot, inexpensive, and fairly accurate. There are several possums and a couple of raccoons who could (if still alive) testify to its accuracy. if I take the time to aim. But, addition to that,
    it's great cheap plinking fun.
    :rockwoot:

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I've been toying with picking up a Buckmark, but the M&P22 looks interesting.

smokestack

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Lafayette
    We all love shooting my P22, it's an inexpensive to shoot pistol. It can be ammo picky sometimes but all I can say is try some before you buy a bunch of it, other than that no problems at all.

Top Bottom