• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I won the auction, so I have an old Remington Model 24 on the way. :rockwoot: They were patterned after the Browning 22 and were made from 1922 to 1935. I've always liked the little Brownings so I'm excited to get this one.

Pics from Gunbroker:

pix666743484.jpg

pix836408430.jpg

DoggyDaddy,that is one handsome piece of hardware. Love the old school .22's.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I love shooting my single shot 22 Chiappa Little Badger with Suppressor. With .22 CB shorts, it's hilarious. Like quieter than a small rock dropping hilarious.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    WWalker that's a good top tip.....I inspected the buffer. It is not at all brittle and looks to be in "like new" condition. Both aluminum rails in the receiver, that the top of the bolt slides across as it cycles, still has the majority of the factory over spray still on them.
    That being said....a modern plastic replacement buffer, to have on hand, isn't a bad idea. Can you recommend a source?
    It’s been a while since I needed any spare parts for my Marlin Model 60’s, but always had success contacting Marlin directly.

That being said, you can also find spare parts at Brownells … https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=marlin+60&ksubmit=y

A few other modifications you may find useful ...

I’ve never installed a trigger spring kit from MCarbo, but have fired several rifles with this modification. The difference between a factory new trigger and one using the MCarbo springs is like night and day. The difference between a factory trigger set-up with 10,000 rounds fired and the MCarbo springs isn’t so dramatic.

Trigger Spring Kit: MCarbo https://www.mcarbo.com/

If you plan to scope your M60, look to add the Diversified Innovative Products (DIP, Inc.) scope base, rather than use tip-off rings on the receiver. The DIP base makes for a much more stable platform for the scope. Diversified Innovative Products - Product Detail - 3/8" Picatinny Scope Base - $29.97

If you prefer iron sights, then Tech Sights are the way to go … assuming you have a front sight that is held in place with a screw to the top of the barrel, and not the slip-on sight that is held in place with a set screw. If you go with the Tech Sights, be sure to pick up the sight adjustment tool also.

Tech Sights: Marlin 60 & 795 Rifle Adjustable Aperture Sights | Tech Sights

Sight adjustment tool: Sight Tool for Adjusting 200 Model Sights | Tech Sights

Finally, to help with your fun at the range, build some speed prepper tubes. Listed below is my method … to be sure, there are more ideas on the interwebs … aluminum arrow shafts, McDonald’s straws, etc. and so forth. I found the solution listed below to be the easiest and best for me.

View attachment 60993

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good pick DoggyDaddy! I grabbed a M24 from my LGS about 5 years ago; .22 short only. It is a fantastic little rifle, can't go wrong with any of Mr. John Moses Browning's designs. If you have trouble finding a manual online let me know, I have a .pdf somewhere. One thing to be careful of is retracting the bolt a bit and unlocking the latch before separating the barrel from the receiver.

This one is 22 LR only. Thanks for the tip about taking off the barrel. I was going to do a youtube search to see how to break it down for cleaning, etc..

Lanternman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2017
    East Central
    .22s are a lot of fun. I'm glad you rediscovered them.

I've never seen a buffer go bad in a 60. Makes me want to go check all mine. I wonder if it is lubricant related deterioration?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I only have a 10/22 right now, but that thing has been a workhorse. I have more fun with my friends .22 Henry, so I'll likely pick one up. I want a 514 pretty bad, too.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I just ordered my dad a magazine tube for his 60. He bought his in the mid 70’s for like 49 bucks at Kmart. I think the new tube was $30.00.

rolodetective

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It’s been a while since I needed any spare parts for my Marlin Model 60’s, but always had success contacting Marlin directly.

That being said, you can also find spare parts at Brownells … https://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=marlin+60&ksubmit=y

A few other modifications you may find useful ...

I’ve never installed a trigger spring kit from MCarbo, but have fired several rifles with this modification. The difference between a factory new trigger and one using the MCarbo springs is like night and day. The difference between a factory trigger set-up with 10,000 rounds fired and the MCarbo springs isn’t so dramatic.

Trigger Spring Kit: MCarbo https://www.mcarbo.com/

If you plan to scope your M60, look to add the Diversified Innovative Products (DIP, Inc.) scope base, rather than use tip-off rings on the receiver. The DIP base makes for a much more stable platform for the scope. Diversified Innovative Products - Product Detail - 3/8" Picatinny Scope Base - $29.97

If you prefer iron sights, then Tech Sights are the way to go … assuming you have a front sight that is held in place with a screw to the top of the barrel, and not the slip-on sight that is held in place with a set screw. If you go with the Tech Sights, be sure to pick up the sight adjustment tool also.

Tech Sights: Marlin 60 & 795 Rifle Adjustable Aperture Sights | Tech Sights

Sight adjustment tool: Sight Tool for Adjusting 200 Model Sights | Tech Sights

Finally, to help with your fun at the range, build some speed prepper tubes. Listed below is my method … to be sure, there are more ideas on the interwebs … aluminum arrow shafts, McDonald’s straws, etc. and so forth. I found the solution listed below to be the easiest and best for me.

View attachment 60993

TJ.....Awesome information.....many thanks for sharing that!!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Captain Caveman used to have, and may still own, a model 60 that he could hit a steel t post, (1 1/2" wide) at 100 yds with. Using the iron sights. Then he'll hand it to you and say, "Now you try it."

What he doesn't tell you is how far off you have to hold to hit it. :):

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    It's funny how easy it is to forget that shooting a nice old .22 rifle can be such a pleasurable experience. My preference aside from the universal Ruger 10/22 is an old Mossberg target .22 rifle that was a lend-lease gun and made its way back across the pond.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    It's funny how no matter what else you bring to the range, the .22lr can produce the most smiles per gallon. Same thing happens to me on a regular basis.

Top Bottom