• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Congrats to Litlratt for outstanding shooting at this match. He shot a 39x40 in the Master Course for a new high record. We had several INGO shooters represented, total entries was 25, also a new record. Perfect day for shooting long range. Thanks for all the help on the Friday setup and making teardown go so quick.

Match results are up at Riley Conservation Club | Indiana Shooting Range | Terre Haute Indiana.

Riley Conservation Club | Indiana Shooting Range | Terre Haute Indiana Long Range Rifle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Great match and great bunch of guys and gals to shoot with. Match ran little long but that can't be helped. Looking forward to the next one.

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Earlier start time possible?
    I do cherish my weekend afternoon/evening time mowing or doing some other mundane chore around the house

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Earlier start time possible?
    I do cherish my weekend afternoon/evening time mowing or doing some other mundane chore around the house

I think there are some things to make the match run faster when we have 5 shooters to a position (which is a good problem to have).

1) Set up an addition swinging target to allow 6 positions. This would let us shoot 24 entries (plus Novice on their own targets) and only have 4 shooters per position.
    2) Target setter was painting targets at 110 each time. Normally we only paint at end of 4th shooter.
    3) I'm gonna trial some Shoot-N-C blank sheets behind the 200y targets. With only a few Master shooters and only 8 shots per shooter at 200, there should be no need to paint or patch at that distance.
    4) Change to an all swinger format. One target at 75, 2 at 110, 2 at 165, then reverse. Only paint at end of each relay (every 4th or 5th shooter). Will need to decide between straight swingers that hang from a stem vs. dancing swingers hanging from a strap.
    5) Regardless of items 1-4, we have to start restricting the number of sighters. Lay down, shoot 10-15 shots, get up. In Handgun Silhouette, I get 5 shots in 2 minutes just prior to shooting for score. So this:

Start time at 10:30. No firing until then. First shooter in each squad is called to line, gets a 3 minute timed fire for sight-in. Followed by one minute of jot notes and reload your mag, then shoot for score. Second shooter in squad gets same thing, and so on. That way everyone has an equal amount of sight-in time immediately prior to shooting for score. Make sense?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Good plan, seemed like we took a while to get going so this will definitely move things along.

I think there are some things to make the match run faster when we have 5 shooters to a position (which is a good problem to have).

1) Set up an addition swinging target to allow 6 positions. This would let us shoot 24 entries (plus Novice on their own targets) and only have 4 shooters per position.
    2) Target setter was painting targets at 110 each time. Normally we only paint at end of 4th shooter.
    3) I'm gonna trial some Shoot-N-C blank sheets behind the 200y targets. With only a few Master shooters and only 8 shots per shooter at 200, there should be no need to paint or patch at that distance.
    4) Change to an all swinger format. One target at 75, 2 at 110, 2 at 165, then reverse. Only paint at end of each relay (every 4th or 5th shooter). Will need to decide between straight swingers that hang from a stem vs. dancing swingers hanging from a strap.
    5) Regardless of items 1-4, we have to start restricting the number of sighters. Lay down, shoot 10-15 shots, get up. In Handgun Silhouette, I get 5 shots in 2 minutes just prior to shooting for score. So this:

Start time at 10:30. No firing until then. First shooter in each squad is called to line, gets a 3 minute timed fire for sight-in. Followed by one minute of jot notes and reload your mag, then shoot for score. Second shooter in squad gets same thing, and so on. That way everyone has an equal amount of sight-in time immediately prior to shooting for score. Make sense?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

These all sound like good ideas. Regardless whether it goes to all swingers, or just on the added position, I think any swingers should be the dancing type. Having one extra position shooting straight-stem swingers - while everyone else shoots conventional steels - presents a fairness issue because if your spotter / scorer blinks at the wrong time, the straight type can be difficult to visually register hits on at the longer distances (and less painting makes it moreso). With increased interest in the match, "somebody" is going to have to shoot swingers, and you would prefer to not have match outcomes decided by who gets ink to paper first on the signup sheet.

Glad to hear this match is being successful! When is the next one?

Top Bottom