• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    im going to be picking up a .22 of some kind fairly soon. Im really just wanting it for plinking and cheap fun target shooting at around 100 yards (i have room for up to 430yards but not with this gun LOL) with the occasional rabbit or squirrel. Im looking at options for what rifle would fit what im doing with it. Of course the 10/22 and the Marlin model 60. I also saw on Gander Mountains website the Remington 597 and it had good reviews. Im not looking to spend a ton (as you can tell by the choices i have presented) but i want something reliable and pretty accurate. I would like to keep it a couple years then hand it down to my son also so a sturdy gun is also on that list of wants. Thanks in advance guys.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's hard to go wrong with a 10/22. We've got 2 of them and an old Remington Nylon 66. None have ever let us down.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    im going to be picking up a .22 of some kind fairly soon. Im really just wanting it for plinking and cheap fun target shooting at around 100 yards (i have room for up to 430yards but not with this gun LOL) with the occasional rabbit or squirrel. Im looking at options for what rifle would fit what im doing with it. Of course the 10/22 and the Marlin model 60. I also saw on Gander Mountains website the Remington 597 and it had good reviews. Im not looking to spend a ton (as you can tell by the choices i have presented) but i want something reliable and pretty accurate. I would like to keep it a couple years then hand it down to my son also so a sturdy gun is also on that list of wants. Thanks in advance guys.
    My opinions on this are as such. First choice, for what you will be using it for, are the Ruger 10/22. Second choice would be the Marlin. Third choice would be the Remington, and fourth would be the Mossberg Model 702. I have the Ruger, the Mossberg, and the Marlin, but don't own the Remington. I have shot one though and it was very accurate, but was having some magazine issues. From what I hear they are a good gun though.:twocents:

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    IMO I would avoid the Marlin...Mine died on the first shooting session and it is being replaced by Marlin. It has been 3 weeks and no new rifle yet. Also Remington now owns Marlin. I'm going to get a Ruger.

eatdessertfirst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    These threads re .22 often occur. My vote is for the 10/22. What I've never seen anyone say is how comfortable they are. I like carbines. Short swing to hit the target. . .

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Hard to go wrong with the 10/22 for a semi-auto. If youd like a bolt action take a look into the Savage MKII series, these are very accurate gun. Good luck with your purchase.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Downside of the Ruger 10/22: too many awesome options, upgrades, and accessories to choose from. Not that the stock gun really needs any upgrades or accessories to totally rock your world.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    For a plinker/squirrel gun, the Marlin 60 for semi or Marlin XT-22TR bolt rifle for me... I really prefer NOT to have a bottom feeder for my squirrel rifles, tubular magazines for me thanks.

Savage MkII gets my vote for cheap and good though.

I've never been able to get into the Ruger 10/22 to 77/22. Sorry, just not my cup of tea.

For a squirrel rifle I would also love to have a Browning Semi-Auto .22, but I can't see spending that much money.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Marlin 795 - reliability & accuracy of a 60, with detach. mags, instead of a tube. The button rifling is arguably more accurate than the Ruger, and cost is less than half. If you plan to dress it up like a Barbie doll though, there is really no aftermarket support to speak of, for the Marlin. Aftermarket for 795 includes: tech-sights available, dragunov stock (built for 60, think it requires magazine modification for 795), installed my own sling mounts in order to put a proper sling on it for Appleseed, krylon, sandpaper to kind of free-float the barrel.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    at the few appleseed shoots ive done, most people there had 10/22's. they are reliable, well built rifles. there is a myriad of options from mild to wild out there for them. i personally picked up a marlin 795 for a plinking rifle, and love it. put upgraded iron sights on it, spot on. ended up picking up a second 795 and put a scope on it. i would recommend them to anyone.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Stock 10/22 has a heavy trigger pull, but can group as it did below with a novice shooter, no fancy rests just a good seated hold; for $30-50 that trigger pull can be pulled to less than 3lbs. (or a few $$ in polish if you're brave and know what you're doing), so for mild-to-wild options the 10/22 is great out of the box and become almost anything you want it to be.
    Fullscreen%2520capture%25201232011%2520123755%2520AM.jpg

Some of the other non measured groups of the day and the simple 10/22 that was "the cheapest 10/22 you've[Bradis] got" These are the baseline that I'll be comparing to as I change, tweak, tinker with and otherwise have fun with my plinker. (Oh and they're also from the very first time I ever shot a long gun, so it's not like it takes a ton of skill to start making these fun for plinking purposes)
    021.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I recently picked up a Marlin XT22-VR, and have been very happy with it. If you are looking at a semi-auto, the Marlin 60 is nice, but so is the Ruger 10-22. If you intend to hand it down to your son (presumably as a first rifle) it might be a good idea to look into a bolt gun. Not that semi's wont do, but a bolt gun wont enable him to dump an entire mag, helping him learn to take his time with the shot.

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    Here is my :twocents:. I see three options in your future:

1. Semi auto--like everyone has said you can't beat the 10/22. Lots of aftermarket stuff if you want to dress it up.

2. Bolt action-- CZ, Savage, or Ruger 77/22.

3. Lever Action-- (My personal favorite!!) I have a lot of friends who have the old Marlin 39 but I'll take my Henry any day of the week.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    10/22 is just the all around best way to go. They have the reputation for a reason: they're cheap, well made, accurate, reliable, and fun. Plus, there are tons of aftermarket parts for them so basically you have the option of doing anything you want with it. No other .22 has such a big following, and like i said, there is reason for that.

Top Bottom