• ...and so much more!
  • IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    Hey all,
    Looking for some suggested hardware and also some possible sources.

I am involved with a very unique summer camp for kids 8-18 years old who have been seriously burned. It's called Hoosier Burn Camp and the Summer week is held at Camp Tecumseh outside of Lafayette. It's a place for a number of these kids to escape the other 51 weeks of the year and be "Just one of the Kids"... there is more on line if you are interested at www.hoosierburncamp.org so I wont go into any more and get to the point of why I am posting here.

We are looking for some place or some one to donate or alternatively sell at a discount 12 identical, or operationally very similar rifles which we could maintain and care for, for the use of our campers. Now I know no one individual out there has a dozen of the same or similar rifle, so I am mainly looking for programs or sources where we can obtain these, obviously as a charity, or if we have to buy them, for as little as possible... Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Do any of the manufacturers or big distributors have youth education programs which this would qualify? Would any of the manufacturers be interested in some great public relations for supporting the Burn Camps program? If you have contact names or phone numbers, please send them to me in a Personal Message, as for the privacy of the individuals or companies, I would not want their information as part of this thread. (at least and until something is actually worked out...)

2. Type and make...? Here is where I am SURE to see lots of opinions... My thinking is that it should be VERY simple, bolt action, and single shot... Or perhaps a basic auto like a Remington 10-22. Throw out some ideas... I love my little S&W MP15-22 I have, and the kids would love it cause it looks "cool" , but it hardly qualifies under the above criteria.

3. Got an old gun safe you want to donate? If it holds 12 or more 22 cal. rifles we could sure use it, and as a 501(c) 3 charity, the donation would be tax deductible. (Hey, if you're wanting to get a new bigger one anyway, what better justification than to tell your Significant other, "I donated it to a charity and had to replace it!!" We would prefer to have a resettable combination type, so that the access can be limited year to year. As a number of people come and go as counselors at the camp, it would be best to have the ability to change access code year to year.
    Let me know by a separate PM,and I will figure out a way to get it transported...

The Riflery activity is one of if not the most desirable for all the kids regardless of age. It is also a great teaching moment and opportunity for us as counselors and leaders to start the next generation on a respect for, and reduction of media fear mongering to the next generation of gun ownership...

Any suggestions or comments welcome... On behalf of these great kids, I thank you in advance...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thinking out loud here so bear with me.

Your looking for 12 riffles a 10/22 or Cricket are around $110 each (AVG). So about $1400 for hardware if what you need. Hum.. perhaps a possible "reverse" group buy here on INGO?

We have had at least 3 that I know of. One was when we sent all the IN sherriff's a book about a $600 donation drive I think and we also had 2 "give to the troops" drives as well.

I assume your organization can "buy" the rifles yes? Meaning your organization is doing the forms to purchase.

Another possible suggestion is contact the Michicago City Rifle Club. They were trying to start a youth rifle program this year with 4-H out of Purdue North Central in the area. They were going to use .22 rifles not sure if they were buying them, getting them loaned out, etc..

Another suggestion is Appleseed. They have loaner rifles (10/22) for their events which you may be able to borrow as well.

Heck you might be able to get some of use here to lend you 10/22s as well.
    I'm sure with so many members we are bond to have at least 12 10/22s.
    The NWI INGO MEET & SHOOTs typically have 6+ 10/22s at the events.

What are the dates you would need the rifles?
    You got ammo covered as well?
    Range?

Perhaps the appleseed people from IN would do a special session with your group.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    You might contact Anthony Emparado at Henry
    They have a very nice single shot bolt action and I can help thinking they would make you a deal on them for a good cause
    Anthony@henryrepeating.com
    (201) 858-4400

Best of luck.

Another Idea, Mossberg has made a bolt action 22 they call the plinkster for several years it retails at about $100.00 I'm thinking there are enough owners around with them in the closet that you might be able to get some donations.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is a Remington 10-22? You mean a Remington 552? Or, a Ruger 10/22?

Regardless, let us know where to send money, and for those of at INGO garrisoned in Lafayette, let us know where to drop off ammunition donations.

I am willing to convert to .22lr and donate the tens of thousands of rounds of .45acp that rhino owes me. Contact me and we can make the arrangements for the boxcar to travel from Crawfordsville to Lafayette.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Thinking out loud here so bear with me.

Your looking for 12 riffles a 10/22 or Cricket are around $110 each (AVG). So about $1400 for hardware if what you need. Hum.. perhaps a possible "reverse" group buy here on INGO?

We have had at least 3 that I know of. One was when we sent all the IN sherriff's a book about a $600 donation drive I think and we also had 2 "give to the troops" drives as well.

I assume your organization can "buy" the rifles yes? Meaning your organization is doing the forms to purchase.

Another possible suggestion is contact the Michicago City Rifle Club. They were trying to start a youth rifle program this year with 4-H out of Purdue North Central in the area. They were going to use .22 rifles not sure if they were buying them, getting them loaned out, etc..

Another suggestion is Appleseed. They have loaner rifles (10/22) for their events which you may be able to borrow as well.

Heck you might be able to get some of use here to lend you 10/22s as well.
    I'm sure with so many members we are bond to have at least 12 10/22s.
    The NWI INGO MEET & SHOOTs typically have 6+ 10/22s at the events.

What are the dates you would need the rifles?
    You got ammo covered as well?
    Range?

Perhaps the appleseed people from IN would do a special session with your group.

I would participate in this. Any Site Supporters want to help us?

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    DUFUS ALERT.. yes i meant RUGER not REMINGTON !

What is a Remington 10-22? You mean a Remington 552? Or, a Ruger 10/22?

Yeup that was a total fingers typing faster than the Brain... My bad and thanks for pointing it out...

Jedidiah, the actual camp is (this year) from May 28th through June 3rd. Although it is only the one week, we have several other get togethers for the kids through the year, like a Lake Monroe Fishing trip, Kings Island, Winter gathering etc, and my hope would be to add some additional shooting type events for the kids. Because of the number of activities at the camp, they often are not able to fit in the riflery for all of them, nor spend as much time as we would like with each of them. Kind of a mass production, get em through type of exercise. Thanks for your extensive PM with some great possible ideas... I think I am out of town for the Meet and Shoot this month, but I would definitely like the chance to meet up with you and discuss this further.

Thanks for all the responses so far...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    IN_Sheepdog, I've just spammed the NWI INGO social group as well as the NWI INGO Updates Tread (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/106004-nwi_ingo_general_post-65.html).

We might be able to come up with 12 Ruger 10/22 loaner rifles for you for the camp. Long term I know it would be nice for your group to have your own rifles but I just can't see raising the money in such a short amount of time to do it.

Do you have any type of flyer info of the program? The 30 APR MEET & SHOOT is an idle place to had out the info and see if I can get more people interested in doing a "loan" for your event.

We don't know you yet so the biggest question is how do we get the rifles to/from the event since I'm sure many will be weary of "here is my rifle when's it coming back." So tentative it looks like my big mouth would be the one that "holds" the loaners unless I can get someone closer to your camp (**COUGH** auntie bellium/bubba I think **COUGH**) to do it. So logistics I'm still working out in my head.

The camp runs for 1 week r you going to be using the rifles every day? Do you need them for just 1, 2 days? This would try to get the logistics in place (provided we NWI INGO can even get you 12 10/22s.)

--UPDATE--
    I got you at least 3 Ruger 10/22s right now that we NWI INGO can loan for your 1 week summer camp.

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    When I worked at Camp Tecumseh, we used cheap Savage bolt action magazine fed .22LR rifles. This was just a few years ago and I’m sure they are still using these rifles.

The kids we supervised were close to the same age range and they never had too much difficulty with these rifles.

I was never available to assist with the Burn Camp when it was in session at Camp Tecumseh.

[STRIKE]Do you use the ranges at Camp Tecumseh during your session there? If not, have you considered just contacting Camp Tecumseh management and asking for permission to use their .22LR rifle collection?

I know this wouldn’t help you with other events, but if you aren’t taking advantage of Camp T’s range facilities it may not be a bad idea to ask.[/STRIKE]

EDIT: Just re-read your second post and it answered my question.

Last edited:

ayerskw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Greenfield
    Recommend checking out the single shot bolt action Henry Mini-bolt H005 (Youth) & Henry Accu-bolt H007 rifles. They are American made, very well contructed (Polymer & Staniless Steel), have a great warranty and are very simple to operate. These are the rifles that we purchased last summer for the kids to use the Flat Rock River YMCA Camp and they were a big hit. Unfortunately, I don't have any good inteligence for you when it comes to an angle to purchase on the cheap.

Frankly, I would like to secure a couple more of these Rifles for our NFP camp so if you should decided to go with these rifles and are arranging a group buy please let me know as we may jump in on it for a win-win.

Hope this helps - Best wishes!

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Re: Use of Camp Guns
    Yes this is the case now in that we use the camp Tecumseh rifles for our activities however this is kind of going the opposite direction. to say that these rifles are overused would be an understatement and some of them are quite a bit older. We recently have built a storage facility on site in the last year and a half, and as a result we now finally have storage capabilities more locally. The reason for looking for our OWN rifles is to be able to keep accuracy, keep them well oiled and maintained, aand make them as functional as possible for the kids.
    Perhaps another avenue that we should be looking at is to work with camp Tecumseh and possibly work out the replacement of the rifles currently being used, but then of course they're going to take the abuse throughout the summer.

The other possibility that we were looking at was the chance to have off-site activities with the kids in other locations of the state, where perhaps we could go into more training and education rather than just letting them go bang a few times and calling it a day.

Great suggestions all, this week I have to come up with at least one additional "gator" vehicle for use the camp as well as a list of other items sso all have to get back on this at the end of next week. L

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    Henry discount

NRA instructors are able to get a discount from Henry.. It would be best if you could find an instructor nearby. However if you can not, let me know I will see what I can do from here. (I live in southwest Indiana)

You may want to contact them yourself first and tell them about your program they may be willing to help you out once they learn about your noble cause.

Good Luck.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Jediegh, I believe, suggested an Appleseed. Though I can not speak for the program as a whole, I can say that I would be willing to donate some time to help with the rifle instruction and have three Marlin 795's available to bring as loaners. I can't let them be out for too long, though, because I keep them available and use them for Appleseed shoots.

How many younguns are you talking about? I would hazard a guess that it may be possible to schedule an Appleseed shoot for them specifically. The number of instructors on the line would have to be great, but with the folks that I've worked with, I wouldn't think that it would be too much of an issue. :)

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Just let me know where to send the check, im always looking for a good cause to donate money too, and I can't think of a better one than childhood burn victims...

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I would be willing to donate as well. It may not be much, but every little bit helps.

Have you talked to any stores as far as getting a break on prices? It never hurts to ask. I am going to think a little bit outside of my knowledge (Im not a tax guy) but if they were to cut a good deal, would they be able to use the donation/break in price as a tax break at the end of the year? Maybe someone with a little more knowledge in this area could chime in.

-MColford

Top Bottom