• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    I got this for 25.00 dollars,It has no # on it and no name it verry short. would like to know how old it is. Is there any way to find out.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Is it a Remington? Model 6? If I remember right (assuming it's a Remington) the last one was built pre WWII. They are neat old rifles designed for young men. Stevens or Remington you did real well at $25

hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Is it a Remington? Model 6? If I remember right (assuming it's a Remington) the last one was built pre WWII. They are neat old rifles designed for young men. Stevens or Remington you did real well at $25
    Thanks for info .

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "Rolling block" or "Falling block"?

I have a Winchester 1885 "Low-Wall" that is known as a "falling block".

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    IMO, this is a Remington No.4 rather than a No.6, as it lacks the take-down screw always found on the No.6. There was a take-down version of the No.4, but they are relatively rare and seldom seen.

Also just MO, but it has almost certainly been refinished at some time. Original receivers were case hardened. While this would devalue it considerably to a collector, I personally think that $25 for an intact and functional RB rimfire is a steal.

About 50,000 of these were made chambered for various varieties of the .22 RF (some exclusively for Shorts or Longs, some in LR, and even a few with a smooth bore exclusively for "shot" cartridges), .25 Stevens RF and .32 RF from 1890 to 1933. From your pics, I can't really tell whether or not the barrel has been relined from one of the larger RFs, but it appears not to be the case. Many that I've seen at shows, etc. have been, FWIW.

From the muzzle pic, the bore doesn't seem to be in too good shape to me. Is this the case? It otherwise appears to be in pretty fair condition overall.

IIWY, I'd contact Remington to see if an approximate manufacturing date can be determined from the serial number (should have one somewhere, if it hasn't been erased in the refinishing process) before even attempting to fire it. I'd also have a knowledgable professional gunsmith go over it, just for peace of mind. FWIW, I'd personally stick to CB's or (at most) Standard velocity .22 RF loads only in it if I were going to shoot it. It's most likely around 100 years old, and I'd rather be a bit too cautious than too bold where antiques are concerned.

Congrats on your bargain, in any case. These are very nifty little rifles with a great history and you got one for a song.

Last edited:

hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    IMO, this is a Remington No.4 rather than a No.6, as it lacks the take-down screw always found on the No.6. There was a take-down version of the No.4, bit they are relatively rare and seldom seen.

Also just MO, but it has almost certaily been refinished at some time. Original receivers were case hardened. While this would devalue it considerably to a collector, I personally think that $25 for an intact and functional RB rimfire is a steal.

About 50,000 of these were made chambered for various varieties of the .22 RF (some exclusively for Shorts or Longs, some in LR, and even a few with a smooth bore exclusively for "shot" cartridges), .25 Stevens RF and .32 RF from 1890 to 1933. From your pics, I can't really tell whether or not the barrel has been relined from one of the larger RFs, but it appears not to be the case. Many that I've seen at shows, etc. have been, FWIW.

From the muzzle pic, the bore doesn't seem to be in too good shape to me. Is this the case? It otherwise appears to be in pretty fair condition overall.

IIWY, I'd contact Remington to see if an approximate manufacturing date can be determined from the serial number (should have one somewhere, if it hasn't been erased in the refinishing process) before even attempting to fire it. I'd also have a knowledgable professional gunsmith go over it, just for peace of mind. FWIW, I'd personally stick to CB's or (at most) Standard velocity .22 RF loads only in it if I were going to shoot it. It's most likely around 100 years old, and I'd rather be a bit too cautious than too bold where antiques are concerned.

Congrats on your bargain, in any case. These are very nifty little rifles with a great history and you got one for a song.
    Thanks for the info,I will try to find the seral number on it. I will also try to find a gunsmith to look at it.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Im kinda leaning to it being an old Flobert ....or a Hopkins & allen

If remington #2 ....#4 ,

Either way it has been redone ..

definatly well worth the $25 you paid for it
    GREAT find

Keep us posted on what you find out :ingo:

ngroark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Greensburg
    good deal on the 25 dollar .22 haha id get that thing checked out pronto and with the gun smith's okay id go strait to shooting it : ) my uncle had an old favorite... all i have to say is looks cool and fun to shoot!! (makes you feel like a mini quigley)

Top Bottom