• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Another thing to factor is different materials suppress differently, lighter materials sound different than denser materials. Aluminum has a different tone/pitch than titanium and they both sound different than steel. That being said....any suppression is good suppression.

Like many I went with a Huntertown Guardian with aluminum baffles as my first can and while yes it did do the job, I'm now stuck with a $400 paperweight (with tax) when the baffles get trashed unless something happens with Huntertowns status of closed, which I doubt.

The market in the past 5-6 years exploded with newer companies, while Huntertown offered a 22 can for $200 this was a time where the Silencerco Sparrow was $500 all day. Now, Silencerco lowered the price on the Sparrow and they're now under $350 for an all steel 22 can and PTP Tactical came out with the Scout which has an aluminum tube but stainless baffles for $200. So the market has gotten a lot more competitive and prices have came down

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Another thing to factor is different materials suppress differently, lighter materials sound different than denser materials. Aluminum has a different tone/pitch than titanium and they both sound different than steel. That being said....any suppression is good suppression.

Like many I went with a Huntertown Guardian with aluminum baffles as my first can and while yes it did do the job, I'm now stuck with a $400 paperweight (with tax) when the baffles get trashed unless something happens with Huntertowns status of closed, which I doubt.

The market in the past 5-6 years exploded with newer companies, while Huntertown offered a 22 can for $200 this was a time where the Silencerco Sparrow was $500 all day. Now, Silencerco lowered the price on the Sparrow and they're now under $350 for an all steel 22 can and PTP Tactical came out with the Scout which has an aluminum tube but stainless baffles for $200. So the market has gotten a lot more competitive and prices have came down

You have brought out another question...worn out baffles...I’m assuming aluminum baffles are more prone to wear vs other materials. I’d also assume individual mileage may vary, but generally speaking, how long would I reasonably expect baffles to last? I’m 100% clueless here...100 rounds, 1000, 1,000,000? I want to avoid a federally regulated paperweight, but at same time, don’t want to put extra money into durability my application may not require (no full auto, maybe 1-2k rounds/year).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You have brought out another question...worn out baffles...I’m assuming aluminum baffles are more prone to wear vs other materials. I’d also assume individual mileage may vary, but generally speaking, how long would I reasonably expect baffles to last? I’m 100% clueless here...100 rounds, 1000, 1,000,000? I want to avoid a federally regulated paperweight, but at same time, don’t want to put extra money into durability my application may not require (no full auto, maybe 1-2k rounds/year).

I have a huntertown with probably 40k rounds through it, and it works fine. I dont clean my rimfire suppressors often (changes POI when I do) so that might effect things.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

I have a huntertown with probably 40k rounds through it, and it works fine. I dont clean my rimfire suppressors often (changes POI when I do) so that might effect things.

My Huntertown doesn't have that many rounds through it (started getting more and more 22 cans and centerfire cans) but still probably has an easy 20k through it. My baffles are mostly fine, they were damaged a bit from cleaning once taking the suggestion from another, didn't ruin them but pitted the aluminum a little.

My Oculus I recently cleaned after about 1300 rounds and was amazed how much easy it was than my Guardian (not having to beat the baffle stack out was great too). Seems like lead sticks to aluminum differently than steel. At the same time it's been so long since I cleaned my Huntertown I kinda forget what it's truly like kinda thing, just remember it being a bear and always worrying about damaging the baffles due to incorrect cleaning

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

If you want to spend the money, you could have it re-cored. ECCO Machine is one place I know of that will do that type of work. I have no experience with them, it's just one outfit that I remember will do it and other people claim to have had a good experience with them/like their work. As long as the serialized part doesn’t get replaced, it’s just considered a repair. No new tax stamp and no FFL required on your end, so they send it right back to you.

If you're stuck with a really old, long suppressor (like a Sionics) that doesn't perform well compared to modern standards, not only can it be re-cored, the tube can be shortened too! Might as well make it more useable, because in it's original form, you can't really sell it because it isn't even worth the cost of the stamp.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My Huntertown doesn't have that many rounds through it (started getting more and more 22 cans and centerfire cans) but still probably has an easy 20k through it. My baffles are mostly fine, they were damaged a bit from cleaning once taking the suggestion from another, didn't ruin them but pitted the aluminum a little.

My Oculus I recently cleaned after about 1300 rounds and was amazed how much easy it was than my Guardian (not having to beat the baffle stack out was great too). Seems like lead sticks to aluminum differently than steel. At the same time it's been so long since I cleaned my Huntertown I kinda forget what it's truly like kinda thing, just remember it being a bear and always worrying about damaging the baffles due to incorrect cleaning

Its definitely a pain, you have to use a dowel rod to drive out the baffles, and worry each strike will be the one that does it in. Had I know then, what I know now, I would have gone a different route, but lessons are not free.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks for the insight here. I’ve had a chance to play around with a few different cans. My biggest surprise was the difference in weight of the many suppressors out there. I believe I think I’ll wind up spending a little more than I’d originally planned, but I know and appreciate where that extra money is going. Now to get my ducks in a row with this stamp!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Thanks for the insight here. I’ve had a chance to play around with a few different cans. My biggest surprise was the difference in weight of the many suppressors out there. I believe I think I’ll wind up spending a little more than I’d originally planned, but I know and appreciate where that extra money is going. Now to get my ducks in a row with this stamp!

You won't regret spending good money on a rimfire can. Once you have it you won't go to a range without it.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I haven’t made my first suppressor official yet, and I’m already thinking how to suppress my other guns.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    First suppressor should be a 22. Second should be a 30 caliber can. Most will cover anything from 223 to 300 win mag.

Top Bottom