• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    Can't say enough good things about shooting the ruger mark II and III series. Taking them apart is not that bad at all if you learn how to do it right and repeat it a few times. I love my mark III hunter

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The Ruger Mark I, II, and III are all good serviceable semi-autos. I have owned all of them at one time or another. You can find a really nice Mark II 678 model used for about $250 to $300. Of all the Ruger .22's that model has always been my favorite.
    If you really want a nice gun, shop for a used High Standard target model. Citation, Sharpshooter, even a Field King. These can all be had for $500 or less. Even a Sport King is a very good shooter. And they hold their value and even go up in value because they went out of business in 1984. I have several and love them. Always work well and are extremely accurate. Target models have adjustable trigger pulls....John

High Standard is back in business.

High Standard Weapons and Arms Manufacturing Company

Though you are correct that the pre-1984 guns will tend to hold their value.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    To answer the question, if you want an entry-level target gun, the Browning Buckmark, the Ruger Mark II or 22/45, the S&W 22A or the Beretta Neos are all fine choices.

Please note that if you want a decently legitimate target pistol, the Walther P22, the Sig Mosquito and any similar gun really does not qualify. They are simply not as accurate as the others and do not have a good enough trigger for target shooting.

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    I have aruger Mark II with a competion triger that shoots very well with no issues, My Hi Standard Sports King is great too but alittle more money, My daughter shoots a Walther P22, fun to shoot. You have alot of choices. Try them all out and its important that it fits your hand well.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I have been thinking about an Heritage Rough Rider. It's a revolver, but it would still let me practice hitting the sweet spot for very low cost. Of course, a semi-auto would be more like my EDCs, but I am thinking a little variety is nice.

If it's ever offered nearby for $170 again (instead of the normal $250—I know, you can find it cheaper online, but by the time I pay shipping, FFL and taxes it is no longer a bargain), I think I will jump on it.

Have you looked at the RoughRider close enough to realize that it doesn't have an actual rear sight only the original style groove in the top strap??

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Years back I bought a phoenix arms .22 for that same purpose, I think it was $99 or so. It jams on cheap ammo sometimes but if you run cci's through it it does pretty well, has a lifetime warranty.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I have a 92g Beretta, and ive seen the uppers for those but im not sure if i wanna just buy an upper or just have a dedicated .22

Do you like to shoot it? Are you good with it? If so then I say YES! You can practice with what you like to shoot and also upgrade it as you go. You'll never pay for an action job on a p22. You would on a beretta though! Nearly every upgrade you purchase for your 9mm (holster, trigger, controls, grips, etc. etc.) you are also purchasing upgrades for your .22. Makes total sense to me. I'd rather do that than buy something that has different trigger pull, grip angle, and sights than what I'm used to.

I'd rather put 100 rounds of 9mm and 300 rounds of .22 though my carry gun than switch between different pistols. Just my .02. Doing that made me a jack of all and a master of none.

If you've got about $3000 to spare you can run a rig just like TAS4. He let me try it at 42769vette's shoot and it is truly a sweet set up.

For an inexpensive plinker the Buckmark or the Ruger MK's and the S&W lower priced models are a good place to start.
    If you already have a Glock or Sig or 1911 you can find .22 uppers that do just what TAS4 said. Same trigger, controls and feel. Makes for cheap centerfire practice.:yesway:

:cool:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    For the semi autos look at Ruger MKII, GSG 1911, Browning Buckmark or Walther P22. You might get real lucky and find a used S&W Mod 41, my favorite, but I doubt if you find one under $800. For revolvers look at S&W Mod 17 or 617, Colt Trooper MKIII or the Ruger Single Six. :twocents:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    To answer the question, if you want an entry-level target gun, the Browning Buckmark, the Ruger Mark II or 22/45, the S&W 22A or the Beretta Neos are all fine choices.

Please note that if you want a decently legitimate target pistol, the Walther P22, the Sig Mosquito and any similar gun really does not qualify. They are simply not as accurate as the others and do not have a good enough trigger for target shooting.

This Glock/Apple fan boy is correct.

Ltemfly4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    .22 puchase

i am in the same boat, want something just to have fun with on the range, and shoot for cheap, i have a sig 9mm, and was looking at the mosquito's, any advice or feedback on those????

Top Bottom