• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All guns that can fire .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR) can safely fire .22 WRF.
    Edit: Sorry, that last word was supposed to be "WRF."
    Rim diameters are the same, so headspace is no problem, and case and bullet diameters are identical.
    The only physical difference is that the .22 WRF is a bit shorter.
    Happy shooting.

Last edited:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    so enlighten me on the 22 WRF and what is better bout it vs 22 WMR?
    also what WRF stands for if you know?

Well, it's basically an earlier, shorter and less powerful cartridge from which the 22WMR was developed. 22WRF VS 22WMR is sort of like 38SP to 357Mag or 22 Short to 22Long in using a slightly lengthened case developed from an earlier cartridge. It's advantage would be in the purpose of the user. I'm assuming that at least sometimes simple availability would be advantage enough. I believe that in some 22WMR guns it may present feeding issues.
    WRF= Winchester Rimfire
    WCF=Winchester Centerfire
    WMR= Winchester Magnum Rimfire

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    so enlighten me on the 22 WRF and what is better bout it vs 22 WMR?
    also what WRF stands for if you know?
    Nothing BETTER about it, just a different cartridge, thats all.
    The whole story around my OP, I bought some of this mistaking it for 22lr (long before the shortage) then when I realized it, and you cannot return ammo, I knew that my neighbor had a 22 WMR revolver. Well, I gave this ammo to him (again, this was several years ago) and we both forgot the whole thing. Anyway, he was going through stuff the other day and ran across it again. He called and asked me about it....and frankly, i denied giving it to him....LOL. So, then we both got curious, and then I had to research it all over again!!! LOL. Sucks gettin old! But it aint fer sissies!!! ROCK ON!!!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A Brief History of .22 Rimfire Ammunition

The .22 WRF is kept alive primarily as a less destructive small game load for revolvers and single shot rifles chambered for the .22 Mag. cartridge. The .22 Magnum case is a lengthened version of the .22 WRF and the WRF will chamber in firearms designed for the .22 WMR, much as .38 Special ammunition may be fired from .357 Magnum guns. However, .22 WRF ammo will often not feed correctly in .22 Magnum magazines, so one should avoid its use in .22 Mag. repeaters.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Thanks guys, can it still be found? Wouldn't mind trying it for reference.
    Not at all sure about availability, online search would probably help ya. I bought that stuff i was talking about years ago by mistake. somebody in this thread was sayin that its higher priced cause its rare....i cant vouch for that. Look around and see. Good luck. i guess someone would be hosed if they had something chambered for that round and couldnt find any. I do not get the impression that anyone makes this firearms anymore. Kinda outdated i guess. Edit: NOT THIS thread.....

Top Bottom