.223/5.56 ammo for hd with least wall pentration?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • czyhorse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Seymour
    What is the matter with a shotgun? You can even dress it up in tact-i-cool furniture if that floats your boat.

.223 inside the home is a bit overkill, imho.

JRPLANE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Hagerstown, Indiana
    Any one ever try 12ga rifled barrel shooting shot (8's or 9's)? My test show the rifling causes the shot to spread extreemly fast. 21' I get about 25" pattern. This stops alot of the slug effect.
    And a belly full of 9's would be bad. It would be like trying to sew up a screen door. There are 600+ 9's in an 1 1/8 field load

And on dry wall any thing over a few feet it wont make it thru the third layer,

Just a thought.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What is the matter with a shotgun? You can even dress it up in tact-i-cool furniture if that floats your boat.

.223 inside the home is a bit overkill, imho.

Some people just seem to think a .223 is a great HD round :dunno: We are just smarter then that! :rockwoot:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Love my AR and my M1A, but for bumps in the night my 870 Wingmaster police (cost a whopping $215 OTD) is what stands ready, along with the S&W M15-3.

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    If you had no other option then to use .223/5.56 for HD I believe a varmint type bullet lighter then 55grs would be best as far as the least amount of over penetration. These bullets have very thin jackets and are designed to expend all there energy on some very small targets. I have shot water bottles in front of paper targets and only bullet fragments hit the paper. This was with 52gr SMK's out of a 24" barrel so I don't know if a shorter barrel would have the same results. The problem with this is I don't know how much "stopping power" a round like this would have. Although I keep a pistol close at night as the video with Michael Bane shows I believe the "best" inside the home defensive round is a 12 gauge with a 1 1/2 ounce load of #9's. This only takes into consideration "stopping power" and not how much harder it is to maneuver inside a home with a long gun. :twocents:

Top Bottom