• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Very odd that yours is a 1 in 12. Mine is a 1 in 9 with a 26" barrel. I wasn't aware that Remington made them in different twists.

EDIT: After doing a google search Remington did indeed do different twist rates on the Police model 223. Learn something every day I suppose.

I have one and I can do 69gr bullets depending on velocity and bullet type, but I stick with 55s in it.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Very odd that yours is a 1 in 12. Mine is a 1 in 9 with a 26" barrel. I wasn't aware that Remington made them in different twists.

EDIT: After doing a google search Remington did indeed do different twist rates on the Police model 223. Learn something every day I suppose.

I wondered when you said PSS. The more modern P has the 1 in 9"
    The last one we bought in 223 has the box marked PoliceP and it has the 1 in 12"

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    The change in twist rate was made specifically to accomodate the Federal GMM 69 Sierra round. By my way of thinking, that was a damned good decision on Remington's part. Only thing they could have done better would have been to use a 1:8".

-Nate

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    The change in twist rate was made specifically to accomodate the Federal GMM 69 Sierra round. By my way of thinking, that was a damned good decision on Remington's part. Only thing they could have done better would have been to use a 1:8".

-Nate

You also have to remember 15+ years ago 223 was a varmint caliber in most rifles.
    And with some companies ( Exspecially bolt guns ) it still is.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany

1:7, chambered in Wylde, 26" Varmint and 20" AAC-SD threaded 1/2-28, with BDL magazine able to accommodate 2.55" OALs.

THAT is the mousegun Remington should build.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    7.0 twist is wholly unnecessary for 99.9% of the shooting public, and extremely so at 26". Here in the lowlands east of the Mississippi, a true 8.0 twist match barrel is a 5-600 yard gun at any length 16" or longer...and the Eights don't spray ball ammo quite as badly.

I've used both and 7.7" to pretty decent effect as far as 1,000 yards from a 20" tube. I sit in that 0.1% that thinks the world is flat and .223 = .30 Gov't.

But I agree with the rest...if Holliger is at the wheel.

-Nate

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    7.0 twist is wholly unnecessary for 99.9% of the shooting public

You're probably right...but 1:7 wouldn't handicap 99.9% of the shooting public, either.

But it would allow somebody that wants to run a 80gr VLD/Amax/ELD-M the ability to do so without sacrificing any BC due to stability the way a 1:8s do.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    avboiler, I know what the number say, but the truth says I never had any issues with 82 Bergers in that 8" Badger. Mid 190's on the 600 yard targets looks tough to argue with. Test groups of the finalized loads were in the 0.6-0.75 MOA range at 100 and 300. I'm far from the only one.

I'd guess most people utilizing a .223 at ranges long enough to legitimately worry about a BC reduction of 5% on an AMAX single-fed probably already knows what twist they need to be running (and that VERY much includes 7-twist).

Fast twist .223 barrels DO handicap the shooting public, if they are willing to take the time to shoot well enough to show it. 55 ball--by far the most expended ammo in the US high powered rifle usage spectrum--invariably shows patterns on paper, not groups.

7" bites. HARD.
    8" bites. Pretty hard, but better.
    9" starts to show some improvement.
    12" looks as good as 55 ball ever will.

avboiler, I'm playing devil's advocate here for the correct points for the average needs shooter...which I am not.

-Nate

Last edited:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Any yall tried 760 behind heavies?
    Hodgdon listed 27 to 28 grains for a 70 grain bullet.
    26.7 behind the Sierra 69 HPBT (seated for AR, not bolt gun) showed significant pressure but not maxed out.

Top Bottom