• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I was putting ammo away this morning and looked at the price marked on a case of 223 white box $175 a thousand ...looked inside 8or9 boxes left .the last case I bought was $289 federal bulk.Wish I would have bought more at $175

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    I know the feeling...............I picked up a Mini-14 a few years back and was in Blythes looking around and they had 1000 Federal for $199.......buy the time I got back there with some more money............it was $299:(

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    The best deal for plinking ammunition I find is at Centetfire Systems website. Shipping is cheap and you can drive to Lexington KY. if you need it now. They call it Russian manufacture 1000 rds $199 consistantly. Both 223/5.56 and 7.62x39 ard $199 for 1000 rounds. The ammunition is usually Wolf, Tula, Silver Bear, or Golden Tiger. I think it varies so often what they have they just list it as Russian which all those are. You could call if you really needed to know the brand but it all shoots the same to me. There is better ammo but Im not shooting match with it and it runs great in my rifles.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I live on Russian ammo when shooting my AR. It eats anything i put through it.

I would really like to shoot the better brass stuff but i cant afford it and i dont reload .223.

When i bought my AR i could get the American Eagle for 6.50 a box when it was on sale at Dunhams and that was within a year. Now when its on sale its 8.00 :n00b:

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I remember buying UMC .223 at Wally World for like $5 for 20 rnds.....AHH, the good ol days... A friend and I shot some CCI Mini Mags he had that were Marked $1.99 for 100 rnds and you know what? All of them went bang! They had to be 20-25 yrs. old!

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I remember buying 2 cases(2400 rounds total) of 7.62X39 for $240 at the Indy 1500 several years ago. I knew back then I should just skip the house and car payments and buy more ammo. But dummy me did'nt.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I remember buying UMC .223 at Wally World for like $5 for 20 rnds.....AHH, the good ol days!

Good XM193 can now be bought for .28 cents per round. ;)

A friend and I shot some CCI Mini Mags he had that were Marked $1.99 for 100 rnds and you know what? All of them went bang! They had to be 20-25 yrs. old!

I still have some that I got from Rural King for 2.99 about 6 years ago.

I remember buying 2 cases(2400 rounds total) of 7.62X39 for $240 at the Indy 1500 several years ago. I knew back then I should just skip the house and car payments and buy more ammo. But dummy me did'nt.

The good old $80/1m round russian ammo days are long gone. :(

rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I hope this helps: my online ammo sources

I have been pretty happy with Brown Bear 55 or 62 grain. I have seen some guys have problems with Silver Bear, but my Bushmaster HBAR eats anything.

I shoot a lot of 9 mm Brown Bear and Wolf Military Classic too.

I have not had any FTF or FTE with Brown Bear or Wolf Military Classic in any of my rifles or handguns.

A good website to check ammo prices is: gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals It lists ammo prices by round, box, case by vendor. You can type in your zip code to have it include shipping costs. I buy 99% of my ammo online by the case.

I have bought from Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter, the sportsmans guide, cabelas, www.shop.militaryshooters, Aimsurplus, Dunns Sporting Goods, Luckygunner. Cabelas and the sportsmansguide often have $5 shipping. Dunns has free shipping on cases of .22 LR on occaision.

Ammo got really expensive when California was talking about banning ammo being sent to private homes. People out there were buying it up like crazy. When it was overturned, ammo prices started to drop again. There are deals to be had, but you have to keep an eye out on the internet.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Reload

I started looking into the prospect of hand loading my own ammunition a couple years ago. I purchased a Winchester 94 30/30 and really enjoyed shooting the lever action rifle. I also liked the 30/30 cartridge but was caught off gaurd by how expensive ammo was. I ended up backing away from reloading after several people I talked to said it would be a lot of rounds before I saw a savings on ammunition after initial investment. I was told that people dont reload to save big money on ammo, but to have more precise ammunition. You reload for affect not for cost, is pretty much how I took it.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I started looking into the prospect of hand loading my own ammunition a couple years ago. I purchased a Winchester 94 30/30 and really enjoyed shooting the lever action rifle. I also liked the 30/30 cartridge but was caught off gaurd by how expensive ammo was. I ended up backing away from reloading after several people I talked to said it would be a lot of rounds before I saw a savings on ammunition after initial investment. I was told that people dont reload to save big money on ammo, but to have more precise ammunition. You reload for affect not for cost, is pretty much how I took it.

I reload for cost savings and better accuracy. The trick is to buy your supplies in bulk. ;)

The initial cost for equipment can run you as high as $700 or as low as $300 depending on what you want. I just bought a single stage press and electronic scale. After all was said and done, I had enough powder, primers, and bullets to reload 250 rounds and invested about $400 total. I now reload Hornady A-MAX .308 rounds at $0.26 a shot. That's a round that would cost over $1.00 a shot in the stores.:yesway:

Top Bottom