• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    My local gun shop owner likes me to report back on different ammo I shoot. She uses my reports to let others know what they are getting if they ask her.

My buddy has a Daniel Defense barrel he gets the same results. You might want to try it if you haven't yet. Wolf Military Classic 62gr HP. We had trouble with about everything else wolf but this round.

I must have slept in that part of class my writing is horrible. My boys usually translated my notes to the teachers lol. Finally they got smart and said please use our emails in the future.

I just got done with some M193 in mine very disappointed. I just picked up some American Eagle XM855 have not had a chance to test it in my new Anderson 16" 1/8 twist barrel. My 1/8 barrel hates anything under 62gr usually. Loves 75gr.

I just may need to track some down. Nothing wrong with saving a few $, but that usually means I end up shooting more, not that there's anything wrong with that!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    It may have been said but also keep in mind a lot of ranges won't allow ammo that attracts a magnet. If you are shooting at steel this applies also.
    Wolf gold projectiles are good to go but most all steel cased ammo also has metal cores that are not kosher with these ranges or shooting steel.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I finally got a chance to shoot the XM855 in my Anderson 16" 1/8 barrel. I forgot to take pictures. My best 5 shot group at 100 yards was 1.021" the avg 5 shot groups was 1.287"

So Wolf Military Classic 62gr hp shoots just about as good as the more expensive Federal XM855 in my barrel.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll just reintegrate what has been said above. The ranges that I am a member of have all had problems with naive members destroying the club's steel targets with steel core ammo.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Hornady Frontier 75gr 100 yds 10 shot group. 1.5" over all. But 2 of those at 11 o'clock were on me. 8 shots measured 0.76" I let two go I should not have.

It was a pretty good day so decided to shoot a little.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    the "bear" ammo will have a super strong ammonia smell it gives off when fired. I ran brown bear in my DD just to prove it would run it (and it did--perfectly). But the vapors are overpowering indoors.

I buy Wolf Golf brass and load it for handloaded match ammo. Seems pretty good brass.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    the "bear" ammo will have a super strong ammonia smell it gives off when fired. I ran brown bear in my DD just to prove it would run it (and it did--perfectly). But the vapors are overpowering indoors.

I buy Wolf Golf brass and load it for handloaded match ammo. Seems pretty good brass.

I would have never known about Brown Bear smell. I shoot Outdoor all the time. What do you think is causing the odor? The Powder? Does Brown Bear run dirtier than most?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I would have never known about Brown Bear smell. I shoot Outdoor all the time. What do you think is causing the odor? The Powder? Does Brown Bear run dirtier than most?

Im pretty sure the ammonia smell is from their priming compound.

I only ran 200rds of brown bear as a basic function test.No hiccups at all. It didn’t seem particularly dirty at all. I’m running 18” rifle gas so I expect that helps a lot in both cleanliness and function.

I’d not hesitate to stockpile it, especially if I needed smelling salts while shooting.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Im pretty sure the ammonia smell is from their priming compound.

I only ran 200rds of brown bear as a basic function test.No hiccups at all. It didn’t seem particularly dirty at all. I’m running 18” rifle gas so I expect that helps a lot in both cleanliness and function.

I’d not hesitate to stockpile it, especially if I needed smelling salts while shooting.

Good to know.
    I've never shot BB. I had one box of Silver Bear for 308 Winchester. My rifle didn't like it.

Top Bottom