• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I want to start getting into some competitions. I'm looking at getting a .223. I have narrowed it down to three rifles.

1. Savage Model 12FV, 26" barrel heavy barrel, and weighs 8.75 Lbs.
    2. Savage Model 11FLNS, 22" barrel, and weighs 6.5 Lbs.
    3. Stevens Model 200 short action, 22" barrel 6.5 Lbs.

In the competitons there is one string of fire, that is conducted in the standing position. All strings fired at 100 yards. So weight is important to me. I have never shot a .223 in a bolt action. Can someone who has, tell me what the felt recoil is like? I will probably be using 55 grain bullets. If there is not a huge difference between the heavy and standard barrel, then I would like to go with a heavy barrel. However I'm concerd about the weight, possibly hurting my accuracy. Any help would be much appreciated.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't know what type of competition you've decided on it doesn't sound like NRA Highpower, but if your back is healthy you will want as much weight as you can handle, when the wind is moving you around you don't want a light rifle, The Savage's are fine rifles and not to second guess you but there are more aftermarket goodies out there for remington 700's, and something like “The Original Tube Gun” is one way to really push the 700 into a competition grade gun. You didn't mention if you can use a scope or Iron sights and you will have a harder time finding Irons for a savage.

I don't know if you reload or not but if your staying at 100 then the 55's and the 52's work great. I don't know what the twist rate of those barrels are but if they are 1/14 - 1/10 then the light bullets are great, if they run 1/9 or 1/7 then you MIGHT find the 62's will shoot better.

There are a few folks out there making Savage's into dandy switch barrels.

If there are strings of rapids or timed fire you might want to consider a bolt gun with a magazine of at least 5 and that accepts stripper clips.

But the weight of the barrel won't hurt the guns accuracy in fact it helps it when the barrel starts heating up. Some of the light barrels will shoot 5 shots or more without wandering around. But more than likely a lighter barrel will start to wander around when the barrel starts heating up. You will want to keep an open mind to free floating the barrel or bedding the action. A synthetic stock will help in tuning the bedding of the rifle, some rifles take a free float some take a tension usually right at the end of the stock.

I don't know where your shooting but in a lot of places there will be someone who would loan you a rifle that they have set up for this competition and you might want to shoot someone who's been in it for a while gun to get a leg up on the learning curve.

I hate to say it but every match has its equipment that it takes to be competitive. Why don't you at least check out what everyone else is shooting to see what the natural evolution of the equipment is.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    1. Savage Model 12FV, 26" barrel heavy barrel, and weighs 8.75 Lbs

I had one of these for a while and it was a very accurate and smooth gun. The Accu-trigger was nice and I likec the long barrel. Twist was 1:9" and it was accurate with 55gr up to 68gr.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    #1 vote here as well. Had one topped with a 4200 8-32x and it would pop ground squirrels like no tomorrow. However, it was not my competition gun. Now a Savage with a .308 bolt face would be tempting for a .260 switch rig.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If you are asking about an NRA Match rifle for use at a reduced 100 yard course of fire, none of your choices are suitable unless they can accomodate a globe front sight and a side mounted 1/4 minute micrometer style rear sight. All of your choices can possibly be modified for sights, but for the rapid fire strings, you need stripper clip feeding. None of your choices have that.

An AR15 service rifle is probably a better choice out of the box for shooting the NRA reduced course.

If the matches consist only of standing strings of fire, one round at a time, anything will work. Heavy barrel may balance better, maybe not. The nice thing about a heavy barrel is that it can be turned down if you don't like how it feels standing. Kind of tough to add weight to a light barrel.

BTW, to answer your original question, the 223 has no recoil. At least as far as I can tell.....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't know what type of competition you've decided on it doesn't sound like NRA Highpower, but if your back is healthy you will want as much weight as you can handle, when the wind is moving you around you don't want a light rifle, The Savage's are fine rifles and not to second guess you but there are more aftermarket goodies out there for remington 700's, and something like “The Original Tube Gun” is one way to really push the 700 into a competition grade gun. You didn't mention if you can use a scope or Iron sights and you will have a harder time finding Irons for a savage.

I don't know if you reload or not but if your staying at 100 then the 55's and the 52's work great. I don't know what the twist rate of those barrels are but if they are 1/14 - 1/10 then the light bullets are great, if they run 1/9 or 1/7 then you MIGHT find the 62's will shoot better.

There are a few folks out there making Savage's into dandy switch barrels.

If there are strings of rapids or timed fire you might want to consider a bolt gun with a magazine of at least 5 and that accepts stripper clips.

But the weight of the barrel won't hurt the guns accuracy in fact it helps it when the barrel starts heating up. Some of the light barrels will shoot 5 shots or more without wandering around. But more than likely a lighter barrel will start to wander around when the barrel starts heating up. You will want to keep an open mind to free floating the barrel or bedding the action. A synthetic stock will help in tuning the bedding of the rifle, some rifles take a free float some take a tension usually right at the end of the stock.

I don't know where your shooting but in a lot of places there will be someone who would loan you a rifle that they have set up for this competition and you might want to shoot someone who's been in it for a while gun to get a leg up on the learning curve.

I hate to say it but every match has its equipment that it takes to be competitive. Why don't you at least check out what everyone else is shooting to see what the natural evolution of the equipment is.

Yes you are allowed to compete using a scope. Looking at a 4x16x40 Bushnell with red/green recticles. I have looked at Remingtons, Marlins, Savage, Stevens, Browning, and Ruger. I like the Remington 700 VTR. They have them at Gander in Greenwood for $650. However they have a muzzle break, which is not allowed by comp. rules. I own a Savage 22, and it's honestly the smoothest trigger I have ever felt on a rifle. I know a heavier barrel, will help with heat reduction and accucracy. I do have back spazems, so weight is a consideration when standing. All my other rifles are shot off a bench. Guess I have some serious considering to do. Thanks for the responses. Also x10 I'm talking about the comps., conducted by the HHGC. I will be there Thursday to find out more info. I'm looking at the Centerfire Rifle Hadicap Match. That's one purpose, I will use the chosen rifle for.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint (I think that's the right model) in .223. I bought it less than a year ago at Gander and it came with a scope mounted already.

Since then, I bought a VTR in .308 Win and I never shoot the .223 anymore. I'd let it go for $500 if you would like to use it to build on.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a Rem 700 SPS Varmint (I think that's the right model) in .223. I bought it less than a year ago at Gander and it came with a scope mounted already.

Since then, I bought a VTR in .308 Win and I never shoot the .223 anymore. I'd let it go for $500 if you would like to use it to build on.

P.M. sent

wind50cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Kentucky
    May I suggest a Rock River Arms National Match AR-15 with a 1/8 or 1/7 twist barrel. Have the best of everything in one package. If you get it in the M4 flattop configuration, you can attach scope or use the irons. I'll shoot mine (WOA/Rock River)against a bolt gun anytime at any distance. Not knocking bolt guns, I love bolt guns too! The big plus is here, if you are interested in competition then the AR configuration opens many doors to you with "one" rifle.

Just my .02 cents worth! By the way...Welcome to competitive shooting! You made a great choice!

wind50cal
    NRA Expert Service Rifle
    NRA Master Long Range
    NRA Life Member
    KYSRPA Board Member

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    May I suggest a Rock River Arms National Match AR-15 with a 1/8 or 1/7 twist barrel. Have the best of everything in one package. If you get it in the M4 flattop configuration, you can attach scope or use the irons. I'll shoot mine (WOA/Rock River)against a bolt gun anytime at any distance. Not knocking bolt guns, I love bolt guns too! The big plus is here, if you are interested in competition then the AR configuration opens many doors to you with "one" rifle.

Just my .02 cents worth! By the way...Welcome to competitive shooting! You made a great choice!

wind50cal
    NRA Expert Service Rifle
    NRA Master Long Range
    NRA Life Member
    KYSRPA Board Member

Well AR rifles are a bit pricey for me. I agree that autos, can be just as accurate as bolt guns. The gun club I'm looking at joining, has only one comp from what I have read for such rilfes as AR's, M4's, etc. They have more for bolt action, so that's what I'm aiming for. Thanks for the reccomendation, and thanks for the welcome. Hopefuly things will work out.

wind50cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Kentucky
    The CMP offers a great small book on rifle marksmanship written by the "machines" aka AMU. It covers the basics of marksmanship and that is all what excellent shooting is about, the basics! Just executing them properly and consistantly. I HIGHLY recommend it. go to www.odcmp.org I think it is in the literature section.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Hoosier Hills fires the bolt action handicap match once a year in September. They shoot a 100 yard reduced, 50 shot NRA match once a month. Unless you are buying a rifle to shoot once a year in a club match, I think you may be going down the wrong path.

Ask lots of questions Thursday.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Hoosier Hills fires the bolt action handicap match once a year in September. They shoot a 100 yard reduced, 50 shot NRA match once a month. Unless you are buying a rifle to shoot once a year in a club match, I think you may be going down the wrong path.

Ask lots of questions Thursday.

No I will be shooting it as much as I can, when not using it for competition. I have been wanting to get one for a while. Because I lack a long range, high power rifle.

caseychadwell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2009
    Carroll County Kentucky
    I have a Savage with a standard barrel. I have had several 223 bolt actions and my Savage is by far the most accurate. If I were going to shoot a competition, I would take my Savage. It is an awesome shooter. Can't go wrong with one for the money.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    12-FV

A Savage 12-FV will get heavy if you have to shoot offhand much. I have 2 of them and they are always shot off a bench. Just the nature of the shooting we do. Savages are considered by many to be the most accurate rifle available right out of the box. However, the real downside to the 12-FV is the tupperware stock. Fortunately, it can be replaced for reasonable money with a Bell & Carlson that will be much more stable than the whippy Savage stock. Check the flex in the 12-FV forearm before you put your money down. I have not laid hands on the new Savage Accu-stock (I think that's what they call it) but it must be better and I'm sure it's more money.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    I had a Savage 10FP (.223, 24" HB, pre Accu-trigger) and it was very accurate (sub 1" groups at 100 yds with M855 62 gr FJM ball ammo and 3/4" groups with Fed match or Black Hills blue box. I did not like the standard Savage plastic stock at all. It didn't fit me well and flexed. When cold or not under a sling load, the barrel free floated. But when I used a GI sling and the barrel warmed up, the stock touched the barrel and the point of impact changed.

I sold the Savage and got a Colt Ar15 Match Target HBAR. With the same scope I had on the Savage, I shot the same group sizes and as I got used to the AR, the groups tightened up. I missed not having a bolt action and a year later, I found a like new Remington 700 PSS (Police) in .223 with a 26" heavy barrel and a HS Precision composite stock, a Nikon 3x9 scope and a bipod for $650. I put the Bushnell 6x18 I had on the 700 and the Nikon on the HBAR.

Now I am shooting M855 easily at a 3/4" group and Fed GM or Black Hills at 1/2" from the bipod. The gun shoots to the same point of aim from cold to hot and the stock fits perfect.

Savage is now offering the 10FP with the HP Precision stock and I'm interested in getting one in .308!

killer1202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    if it were me I would try to find a .223 24" heavy barrel. But depends on the round count you plan to put through it. The 24" would be easier to handle.

Top Bottom