• Which do you use?

• Total voters

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm about to order equipment to reload .223 for an AR. From what I have read, some will say use Lee's full length sizing die, others will say use RCBS small base resizing die. I'm not here to discount anyones recommendations. The more I read though, I'm getting mixed answers. So for those that reload .223 for the AR platform what do you use?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I personally use the RCBS small base dies. I reload on the Hornady LNL AP. Haven't had a problem yet with FTF or FTE. Accuracy definitely goes up by reloading your own!!! I've been using BLC2 for powder and Sierra 52 gr HPBT's

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have never had the need for small base dies and have loaded and shot hundreds maybe a thousand or two 223 through my AR's
    I got the same mixed advice when I was trying to decide but I chose opinions I trusted and they were right as far as my experiance has been that the samll base dies wern't needed.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    well, there you go. Two opinions and two differant answers :)

I vote for Redding dies though

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I use Lee Fl dies for .223 AR, 30-06 Garand ,and 308 M1A.
    My brother has FL RCBS for all the same calibers and I've used them, didnt notice any difference except for the fact that if you get a berdan case and break the pin its easier to replace it than the whole mandrel of the Lee

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I use Redding dies almost exclusively, because I own a concentricity gauge.

Dillon are all right as are RCBS. I'd take an anything over Lee, but you don't really want to use small base dies unless you have to, and you are fireforming to the same chamber you most likely won't. Working brass more than you have to wastes accuracy as brass life.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yeah is right about excessively sizing your brass killing the life for no good reason. I have also seen over worked brass cause FTF because of light firing pin strikes.

I know that Lee recommends their factory crimp dies for the AR. I don't know why. I shot enough rounds to wear out five Kreiger barrels in 5 years feeding them almost exclusively Sierra MatchKings, 69 or 77 grain and Hornady 68 or 75 grain bullets. I NEVER crimped a single cartridge. I do not think it has to do with me using the longer bullets, because I used the little Sierra 52 gr MatchKing for the short 100 yard matches. A clean neck that has been sized in a full length sizer will have the proper tension with a simple metal to metal interference fit. Oh, and I used the same Lee die set the whole time I was wearing out those barrels

Last edited:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I have both and find that I use the Lee dies the most. I've never had a problem with the ammo feeding in any .223/5.56 gun I've shot my ammo through and that includes using surplus military brass for the reloads.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I know that Lee recommends their factory crimp dies for the AR. I shot enough rounds to wear out five Kreiger barrels in 5 years feeding them almost exclusively Sierra MatchKings, 69 or 77 grain and Hornady 68 or 75 grain bullets. I NEVER crimped a single cartridge. A clean neck that has been sized in a full length sizerwill have the proper tension with a simple metal to metal interference fit. Oh, and I used the same Lee die set the whole time I was wearing out those barrels

Good info to know, thanks for sharing:yesway:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    IIRC, you ONLY need the SB die, or neck die, if you use the SAME brass, in the SAME gun, ( bolt action) and as I have read, on this forum, sooner or later, you will HAVE to FL resize ..... I use Lee, and have NO problem, with an AR... I shoot plinkers, and MATCH .....ammo

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I always use the Lee Full Length die, but I did get the heavier decapping pin for crimped cases. I have probably reloaded 10k with the set of dies I am using right now and not had any issues at all.

Top Bottom