• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    I'm slowly getting into reloading and the only powder I found local was varget and benchmark. Im curious if anybody has used them both and could tell me which one was more accurate. I know every gun is different, but I'm curious. I have a few rounds loaded with the different powder, I'm just waiting on a day that I have time to try them out.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    WW 748 has been my go to powder for 223. Thousands of rounds ground through an M16 with no stoppages at all.

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    I've heard that's one of the best for .223, I just can't find it local and I am not going to pay a hazmat fee to get it shipped to me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Varget works GREAT in 223 over the entire range of bullet weights (probably "best" for 68gr+) though 1. it doesn't meter well, 2. it typically doesn't provide maximum possible velocities, and 3. most accurate loads are often a bit compressed, which isn't a big deal at all but can be unsettling to a new reloader.

I've used 24.0gr Varget over a 75gr Hornady HPBT with CCI-400, and it has shot sub-MOA in a number of different ARs and bolt guns.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    IMR 8208 XBR. I'm not a great shot but I can get MOA with this powder and a 55gr Nosler ballistic tip out of a Rainier match barrel. I've been able to find it often at Profire.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    Just look up some load data for Benchmark and try it. I know I am using powders that I have never used but this shortage will change how alot of us load we will all have our pet loads but some new powders have hit my bench.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I'm also a fan of W748 but in the end, I have one rifle that seems to prefer H4198 and one that likes Varget the best. Varget doesn't measure consistently in my Lyman powder measure but if I use a trickler, it's easy to work with.

Last edited:

CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Benchmark and Varget are my go to powders for .223. One of my rifles really likes Varget with a 55 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip. The case won't hold enough Varget to get max velocities with a 55 gr. bullet but it is very accurate and I'll take accuracy over speed any day. My other rifles love Benchmark and I keep a good supply of it on hand. I use it mostly with 50 gr. Vmax bullets. It meters great.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have used both and didn't see a difference in accuracy. The range I shoot at is inside of two hundred yards. I imagine when shooting long distances is when powder bullet combos come into play. If you are just plinking grab what ever is cheaper.

I prefer 748 because it meters like water and actually gave me a little better accuracy in my rifle. Could be because it metered better and was more consistent.

This day and age I would grab whatever was available to you and shelf it.

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I know there are a lot of different loads, and I have a bunch to learn about them. I'm hoping I get some time to mess around more and figure out what my gun likes. Oh, my .223 is a Savage 11vt, which is a Dicks Sporting Goods special. 69 gr bullets are the heaviest my gun likes. I have 100 55 gr hornady soft points that I plan on testing the loads with.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    REloader 15 is right there with Varget and H4895 as far as being good performance in the .223. It is also a stick powder about the same size so it meters a little chunky.

AA2460 is like little ball bearings, it meters really well and shoots pretty good, too.

Top Bottom