• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was priming some .223 brass this evening. I use a primer pocket uniforming tool on all my .223 brass. I ran into some that had crimped primer pockets, I was not able to insert a new primer into the pocket. It happend on 4-5 pieces of Lake City brass. Is there an easy fix for this?

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    The Dillon Super Swager is the easiest way to get rid of crimped primer pockets that I have found, but I think it was like $100. I also have a Honady primer pocket reamer I picked up from Midway like $10. I use the Dillon when I do large batches of crimped brass...It is amazing. When I am doing stuff I pick up from shooting at our cabin I use the Hornady. It works real well just slower and it removes brass from the case rather than just pushing it back like the Dillon. If you only are getting a few crimped primers here and there that you can't fix with what you have pick up something like the Hornady.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    You have to swage the primer pocket, it's from military crimped brass. You can do a few things, you can buy a swager that you can put into your press or you can buy a dillon super swager or you can use your deburing tool and cut a little bit of the brass out. Try YouTube and see if you an get an idea of what I'm talking abut if not I can text you a video.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Swage Mil. Brass.

USPat, in your previous post I know that you are well on your way with the .223 Rem.
    I thought we had discussed removing the crimp on Mil. cases (IE-LC Brass)??
    I use a RCBS swage tool+a case mouth de-burr tool to do this job. I do use a flash hole de-burr tool on the inside of the case also. I have not used a primer pocket uniformer tool--not needed.??Bill.

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    I use a 8 $ ceramic tile 3/8 drill bit,its shaped like a pointed bullet ,a few twists easily takes out the crimp & makes the proper bevel for primer insertion.

Menace67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Noblesville
    If you plan on doing a lot of .223 you might want to look into a small case prep center,I picked up the lyman case prep for like 100 bucks and it takes out military crimp, chamfers deburs, cleans primer pocket and it does other things as well. It really makes case prep a breeze.

Good luck.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    RCBS used to sell primer pocket swage tool but it is slow, and sticks on the case a lot, Dillion device is better but cost more

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I'll just order a swage tool. Out of all the brass I have procesed so far, I have not ran into the issue until last night.

all military brass will need swagged as primer pockets are crimped....i did 2k a week ago with a dillon.....wacthin' paint dry is funner....

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I've successfully used the L.E. Wilson chamfer tool to cut out the stray military crimp. I've even put it in the chuck of a variable speed drill to speed things along. It's $15 at Midway.

Since I had a pile of Lake City brass, I also finally got a Dillon Super Swage 600 for the bigger jobs.

If you end up with more brass than you want to process by hand, you are welcome to make the trip to my place and use the Dillon.

Chamfer Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Cal

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I've successfully used the L.E. Wilson chamfer tool to cut out the stray military crimp. I've even put it in the chuck of a variable speed drill to speed things along. It's $15 at Midway.

Since I had a pile of Lake City brass, I also finally got a Dillon Super Swage 600 for the bigger jobs.

If you end up with more brass than you want to process by hand, you are welcome to make the trip to my place and use the Dillon.

Chamfer Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Cal

Thanks!

Top Bottom