• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    I don't know witch way to go , buy bullets / brass combo $218 per 1000 ( military/crimp primers) and start out reloading . Or maybe just by pmc 223. new loaded ($440. to door) and shoot them . The PMC will give me more time to get all the reloading gear to get started . Is PMC brass good ? I have dies and press but need the the little things. With the cost of primers / power / and combo I don't know.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Personally I would buy the PMC and shoot it up and reload. One of the reasons is crimped primer pocket are extra work. I use them but prefer not to have to

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'll second Allen's recommendation with the caveat: anyone who can't pick up .223 brass at a range by the bucketfull shouldn't be operating a gun. I only rarely go to a range (as I have my own) and I still have more .223 and 9mm pickup brass than I can think of (about 30k last count for the .223).

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Range brass can sneak up and bite you, and PMC brass is not great brass, Finding some Lake city once fired is a safer way to go. I've had some AR's really stretch brass and cause weakness in it after 2 loadings, So My 223 brass that goes through production guns gets reloaded 2 times and hits the ground, (don't pick up brass behind me, its probably not worth having)

I've had some PMC brass early on bite me, it was very brittle and I had several cases break both back at the web and also just behind the shoulder. I've seen on AR kaboom and they aren't pretty luckily it wasn't mine and nobody got hurt but it made me really respect 223 cases,

Also with range brass you might have to size with a small base sizing die.

Try this get several cases of several different brands, some quality stuff and some that you wonder about and size them, pay attention to the feel, and then measure them and compare that to the pre sized measurement. Once you develop a feel you'll find that some brass just is harder to resize than others and the "brittle' brass is what I've had trouble with. While the smooth forming brass that will flow well during resize is safe and reliable.

To really get a feel find someone who will let you resize some Top end Match Brass, like Lapua or Reminging Bench rest brass, you will notice a massive difference in feel.

Yes you can anneal and sort and ect. You just need to figure out your Time Vs. Expense ratio that is right for you.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm, sorry but I have my own range and I don't shoot 223s by the bucket full but maybe I will some day .

Just bustin yer chops a little. Except for recently (right after Newtown) it seemed like I couldn't give .223 brass away and since I have my lifetime supply set aside and go to some public range or shoot maybe 2-3 times a year the stuff just piles up. Then post Newtown when supplies became really short and I decided to sell some of my stockpile for folks who couldn't find any anywhere for a price that was consistent with what the reputable dealers who were now out of stock were asking, I had some doofus accuse me of scalping fellow reloaders because I wouldn't sell to him at a price that was much lower than current reasonable market. Said doofus then a couple of weeks later was selling brass for more than I had been...

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    I'm fortunate to be have been able to stock up on LC brass over the years and am able to consistently find XM193 as a relatively cheap source of brass from my LGS. I think if you are going to seriously consider reloading any .223 you should invest in a good swager. I would rather buy ammo and reload it than buy brass for my everyday shooting. As mentioned, not all brass is equal and you really get a feel for it on the press.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm not onboard with the swager, I've reloaded for over 30 years, I borrowed a dillon a couple times but I use a 3/8 drill bit or a deburr tool and don't have any problems,

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I'm not onboard with the swager, I've reloaded for over 30 years, I borrowed a dillon a couple times but I use a 3/8 drill bit or a deburr tool and don't have any problems,

Top Bottom