• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Okay, so a friend of mine who reloads a lot bought a new bullet which is longer than his usual bullet. He went from a V-MAX to a Match grade BTHP as something different. During the bullet seating process he said he felt it crunch the powder underneath it. He said you can still feel the powder shake inside the cartridge even after this so he doesn't think it's directly to the bottom of the bullet.

He's reloading it with H4895 while using the same charge as he did with the V-MAX bullet, but with this one being a different weight he couldn't find any load data for H4985 and this bullet.

I told him I'd pull it and go by the 10% rule. However I'm sort of new to reloading and have never reloaded a .223 round so I figured I'd ask you veterans if you think it is safe to shoot or if he should pull them and go with a lighter charge. He said he can't set them any longer to make up for the difference and he wouldn't be worried with a bolt action rifle but since it's for his AR he doesn't want to take any chances.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks INGO!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    When you're using voluminous powders like Varget and H4895 and loading near max loads, you'll sometimes experience what's called 'compression.' This is when you're using bullets that, when seated, have more volume than what's left in the charged casing. This will result in the 'crunch' you're talking about. As the powder settles a little (think pennies in a coffee can when you shake it) you may gain a little room in the casing.

It's nothing to worry about at all. Many times the powder manuals will list the charge as "27.5C" which means 27.5gns 'compressed.' It occurs all the time, especially in .223, and as long as your powder charge is correct, again, it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Sounds like your buddy is loading his casings at max capacity so make SURE that the powder weight is correct. Powder has different burn dynamics when it's compressed, and a slight overcharge can be a significant problem, especially with a compressed load. If you're using the hodgdon powder manual (or any manual for that matter) that only states one powder weight per type of powder, that's a maximum powder charge. It's never a bad idea to back off by 5% and check for signs of overpressure.

Last edited:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    When you're using voluminous powders like Varget and H4895 and loading near max loads, you'll sometimes experience what's called 'compression.' This is when you're using bullets that, when seated, have more volume than what's left in the charged casing. This will result in the 'crunch' you're talking about. As the powder settles a little (think pennies in a coffee can when you shake it) you may gain a little room in the casing.

It's nothing to worry about at all. Many times the powder manuals will list the charge as "27.5C" which means 27.5gns 'compressed.' It occurs all the time, especially in .223, and as long as your powder charge is correct, again, it's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Sounds like your buddy is loading his casings at max capacity so make SURE that the powder weight is correct. Powder has different burn dynamics when it's compressed, and a slight overcharge can be a significant problem, especially with a compressed load. If you're using the hodgdon powder manual (or any manual for that matter) that only states one powder weight per type of powder, that's a maximum powder charge. It's never a bad idea to back off by 5% and check for signs of overpressure.

:yesway: Thanks a ton! I tried to rep you but apparently I have to spread it around some more from the last time. I'll let him know it should be safe to try and to watch for signs of overpressure.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    He's reloading it with H4895 while using the same charge as he did with the V-MAX bullet, but with this one being a different weight he couldn't find any load data for H4985 and this bullet.

What do you mean by a different weight? 1g or 10g ?
    If its just a few grains different say a 50g v-max and a 52g hpbt it should be alright, but if he went from say a 50g vmax to a 60g hpbt I'm thinking he's going to have some real issues.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    It was a pretty big difference. I don't remember the weights he said to be honest. I know it went from mid 50's, maybe a 55 v-max to a 62 or 63g bthp

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    50 gr. to 55r. isn't a huge jump, but if you look you will find different load data for each one.
    50 gr. to 62 gr. = equals even a greater difference in load data.
    I'm not trying to tell you two your business, but you may want to reconsider this and do some load research.
    Heavier bullets, in addition to the extra weight, generally have more bearing surface which many times leads to a pressure increase. It's not always just about weight.
    I don't have access to any load data right now so there's really nothing else I can tell you except don't take any chances and pay attention to what you're doing.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    50 gr. to 55r. isn't a huge jump, but if you look you will find different load data for each one.
    50 gr. to 62 gr. = equals even a greater difference in load data.
    I'm not trying to tell you two your business, but you may want to reconsider this and do some load research.
    Heavier bullets, in addition to the extra weight, generally have more bearing surface which many times leads to a pressure increase. It's not always just about weight.
    I don't have access to any load data right now so there's really nothing else I can tell you except don't take any chances and pay attention to what you're doing.

I appreciate it. Like I said, neither of us could find any data for the bullet with H4895 so I came here to ask. I think I'll tell him to pull them and lower the charge just in case. Overpressure was what I was worried about to begin with. I'd hate for him to blow up his AR and hurt himself...

Thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been crunching the grains of Varget and H4895 in the .223 with Sierra MatchKings since '96. It was kind of un nerving at first, but never had any problems. Like Andrew said, even the factory Data shows it will be a compressed load. No Worries.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Check out Hodgdon.com for load data. They should have weights from 40gn up to 77gn.

I'll check it out. I just talked to him and he said the V-Max was a 55gr bullet and the BTHP is a 68gr bullet. Hodgdon has a 69gr BTHP and lists the max load at 24gn of 4895. He said that's what he loaded in them so I'm guessing he should be alright...

Top Bottom