• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgoldsch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Recently moved to a more rural area and now have a large coyote problem. I’m wondering what would be my best option for the removal of those coyotes. What are your guys thought or experience with using and AR vs bolt?

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Recently moved to a more rural area and now have a large coyote problem. I’m wondering what would be my best option for the removal of those coyotes. What are your guys thought or experience with using and AR vs bolt?

As much as I love bolt action rifles, I think if I had to choose one, it'd be an AR. They are so versatile and have so many options and accessories that they are pretty close to a one-size-fits-all anymore. More than accurate enough to thin the coyote population, and low recoil/semi-automatic means quick follow-up shots on multiple targets (and missed single targets).

What's your budget, and what range do you expect to be removing these coyotes from?

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you can get the coyotes in close enough and can get them to stand still, a bolt gun would be fine. If the coyotes will frequently be on the move, I'd suggest a semi-auto in the event you need to take a follow up shot. Or if you're lucky enough to call in multiple dogs at once, a semi-auto would help.

TiMMaY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2014
    Martinsville

What range would you be firing at and how accurate of a shooter are you?

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I use a 556 but shoot 223's out of it , I use a AR for yote hunt'n .... My son - inlaw uses a 22-250 for yote hunt'n... Either will work for your needs... If you want a good duel gun I would think of a 243 that way if the rule changes on deer hunt'n it will work for yotes and deer...

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I use a 556 but shoot 223's out of it , I use a AR for yote hunt'n .... My son - inlaw uses a 22-250 for yote hunt'n... Either will work for your needs... If you want a good duel gun I would think of a 243 that way if the rule changes on deer hunt'n it will work for yotes and deer...

I'd go AR all the way. Yotes are tough and can take multiple shots to kill. I had one last year take 2 12 ga #4 buck from 10 yards (in the vitals too) and she still managed to run 50 yards after being hit with both. I have learned to respect these animals, so smart and tough. Just too many in my area!!

mgoldsch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As much as I love bolt action rifles, I think if I had to choose one, it'd be an AR. They are so versatile and have so many options and accessories that they are pretty close to a one-size-fits-all anymore. More than accurate enough to thin the coyote population, and low recoil/semi-automatic means quick follow-up shots on multiple targets (and missed single targets).

What's your budget, and what range do you expect to be removing these coyotes from?

I'm thinking somewhere between the $700-$900 price range, and for the range naturally i try and get them a close as possible but wouldn't imagine anything over 150-200 yards

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am a bolt gun fanatic. However, the last couple of years I've found myself using my AR for yotes. 300 yard shots are a breeze and more than accurate enough in the AR.
    To kill yotes....just use what you want. Just kill 'em.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm thinking somewhere between the $700-$900 price range, and for the range naturally i try and get them a close as possible but wouldn't imagine anything over 150-200 yards

Lots of ways to get into a good setup for <$900, either bolt gun or AR.

Bolt guns: Ruger American, Mossberg MVP, basic Remington 700, Savage.

AR's: Hard to beat Palmetto State for the money. Just helped my brother in law build his Christmas present from my sister. 16" mid-length 1:7 "Freedom" rifle kit, $400 on Black Friday. $100 for a lower and I had a spare rear sight.

If I had $800 and a coyote problem?

$560 I think when they were in stock. No complaints on the one I just helped build. Very impressed for the money. BIL was shooting 3-4" with irons, can't imagine it'd be more than a 2"@100 yard rifle with decent ammo and a good shooter.
    PSA 16" Stainless Mid-length MOE Freedom Carbine

I think Alan at AA Optics has these for $230-250. Seems like they'd be on the money for a coyote-capable AR.
    Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 1-4x24 V-Brite

This or a 3-9x40 Crossfire II...either would be great.

Add a mount or decent set of rings and have at it.

sapper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Syracuse
    Ar15s have never been cheaper than they are now. The market is saturated with them right now. Sales every where. I wouldn't pay any more than 550 tops for a basic .556 with aluminum lower.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I had to make the same decision four years ago when I moved to the country. I built an AR15 just for coyotes. I shoot .223 hollow points out of a 5.56 barrel. With a Nikon 3x9 scope, I can get a one inch grouping at 100 yards, which is plenty accurate for coyotes.

mgoldsch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks everyone for the responses, i think I'm gonna go with an AR just for the ease of follow up shots. Plus I've always wanted to build one so i believe I'm gonna go that route as well. Prices seem a bit cheaper too. Now does anyone have any experience with the PSA kits?

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks everyone for the responses, i think I'm gonna go with an AR just for the ease of follow up shots. Plus I've always wanted to build one so i believe I'm gonna go that route as well. Prices seem a bit cheaper too. Now does anyone have any experience with the PSA kits?

No issues with the ones I've dealt with.

Speaking of which....

PSA 16" Mid Length 5.56 1:7 Premium Rifle Kit

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    The only problem I know about with the psa kits is getting them. It seems to take about 3 weeks on average to get my order the last few times I have bought from them. Other than that great product

Top Bottom