• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    Am looking for some .223 varmint rounds to try to reduce the coyote population around my farm. Anyone know where I could find some in the Anderson/Muncie/Hamilton county area?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I wouldn't use a "varmint round" on a coyote. My understanding is that this type of round is a lightweight, thinly jacketed, bullet designed for small critters like groundhogs and other varmints.

For a coyote, you still need penetration. I use 55 grain FMJ. It drops them right now when it tumbles internally as it is designed to do. A SP works also.

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    I agree with sloughfoot. Hornady 55 gr vmax is good (I load some 40 gr vmax for them as well). Not sure, crackshot in Anderson may have some? If not, I'm sure someone has it online. Midway, Natchez, etc...

Big Mac 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    New Castle, IN
    55 fmj will go straight thru... Some people even think its in humane to shoot an animal with a fmj. The vmax will open up when it hits and probably come apart. I skinned one out shot with one that had probably 4 or 5 holes in it from the bullet fragmenting. I love to shoot the 40 gr vmax that I load. It's super fast and it will certainly do the job on a yote.

I found some in Anderson. Hornaday vmax 40gr at crackshot.
    As far as research goes 55 gr fmj appears to overpenetrate.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    Most of the guys I know that shoot them use soft points. I know of a couple others that use whatever they have on their shelf. Being a grain farmer we've seen areas with coyotes have few to no groundhogs and vice versa so I consider coyotes my friends because they don't cost us money.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I don't use the FMJ due to the ricochet potential. I have taken several Coyotes with the varmint bullets from Barnes and Hornady the ballistic tips work great. My neighbor uses the Winchester bulk pack HP's I think they are 45gr he has taken Coyotes out to 400 yrds with them. About any centerfire round will dispatch them fine go with whatever you can find and that shoot well out of your gun.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN

Sorry, I should have specified that FMJ is fine at less than 300 yards at 20 inch or longer barrel velocity's. I don't consider over-penetration to be a problem when shooting these animals. That huge hole on the other side from the tumbling bullet can be impressive.

Shoot one within the proper parameters and watch it drop. Instantly.

Or buy specialized ammo if you can find it.

Good luck. You still have to get them to come in.....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    V-Max or Nosler BT's

I wouldn't use a "varmint round" on a coyote. My understanding is that this type of round is a lightweight, thinly jacketed, bullet designed for small critters like groundhogs and other varmints.

For a coyote, you still need penetration. I use 55 grain FMJ. It drops them right now when it tumbles internally as it is designed to do. A SP works also.
    slough, The 50-55gr. Hornady V-Max, or Nosler Ballistic Tips work WELL!

Varmint rounds or at least the ones I have used have plenty of penetration for coyotes.
    +1 (Especially on V-Max/Nosler BT's)

I agree with sloughfoot. Hornady 55 gr vmax is good (I load some 40 gr vmax for them as well). Not sure, crackshot in Anderson may have some? If not, I'm sure someone has it online. Midway, Natchez, etc...
    +1-You, like most Varminteers will load their own.

I believe that most any "Poly Tip" bullet will perform better than any FMJ for Varmints...Bill.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I thought the 'V' in 'V-Max' stood for Varmint? :dunno:

V-Max bullets work exceptionally well on all sizes of varmints, from p-dogs, to 'yotes, even up to man-sized varmints! ;)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I would use V-Max, hollow point, or a soft point. The weight will depend on what your rifle likes.
    In my Savage if I load 55g bullets it really likes AA2015. When I ran out of the 2015 and started on my BLC2 they wouldn't shoot for anything and I ended up loading 60g bullets.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    If overpenetration is a concern take a look at the 52gr Speer HP. I have never had one exit a coyote and very rarely have one run after being hit good with one. The only downside is if you are using an AR without M4 feedramps they can be a little unreliable feeding. The V-Max in 50 or 55gr are also very good, but I do get a few runners with them, but nothing that can't be tracked.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    FMJ bullets are used by Armed Forces throughout the world because HP/expanding bullets are not allowed by the Geneva Convention. Hp/expanding bullets cause too much damage. FMJs are not good for most hunting situations and in many situations are illegal to hunt with. Some varmint hunters use them carefully as they will not damage the pelt like an expanding bullet can. FMJ and many "target" bullets will just bore a hole thru both sides of an animal with little hydraulic shock just as they do to walls in structures. I shot a milk jug full of water 5 times with the Hornady A-Max (target bullet) the jug showed no signs of a hit with the .223, the A-Max bullet is very similar to a FMJ. With Ballistic tips/V-Max/Hp/ Soft Points it explodes. FMJs are just cheapo plinkers basically

Top Bottom