• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I've been using this combination for several years for pest control on coons and ground hogs. Works great. MV is around 1900 fps. Hits hard enough to kill instantly, but not so over powering that I need to worry too much about what's on the other side. About as loud as a 22 mag rimfire, or a 17hmr. A little louder than a 22 lr pistol.. It will ring your ears if you shoot it indoors without ear pro (oops), but outside it's not bad.

I've gone as low as 6.0 gr and as high as 9.0 gr using both 40 and 50 gr vmax. Found several combinations that shoot well under 1 moa. It won't cycle any of my ARs, but it is accurate. Developed a load with the 40 gr Vmax for my Savage Model 12 that shot under 1/2 MOA. I loaded up a bunch and took it on my first Prairie Dog hunt last summer (along with a couple of other more powerful loads). Excellent option for walking around and shooting them off a tripod. Shoots pretty flat to 150 yds, but still very capable at 200. Lost count of how many dogs I took with this load. The 26" heavy barrel never got hot on me. The results are not explosive and graphic, but they are consistent. Cheap load to produce and ideally suited for smaller varmints under 150 yds with the potentialto reach fartherin the hands of an experienced and proficient shooter. Haven't had a chance to take a coyote with it yet, but I suspect that it would work just fine at the same distances.

Top Bottom