• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • archeryman20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2014
    Indianapolis
    This is my first post in this forum, so I apologize if this thread has been done before. Feel free to delete it if that is the case!
    Anyways, on to my post :rockwoot:

Do any of you have experience with AR's chambered in .223 Wylde? I'm building an AR, and plan on using an 18" barrel with 1/8" twist. Does that sound like a good combo to y'all? I'll be using bulk ammo for the most part, at least until I can get some reloading equipment.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a rock river national match with the Wylde chamber 1-7 twist I used over the high power course and that gun shoots, I won the service rifle championship for Indiana with it, I used mainly 69gr, 77 gr or 80gr bullets and I was able to hold 1/2" groups prone slow fire at 100 yard matches with iron sights.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I have Armalite's version of the National Match rifle which is a 1:8 20" Wylde chambered stainless bull barrel, and while I am nowhere near as adept with it as 30calmchinegunner, it won't be the rifle that lets you down if you use 62gr and heavier match ammunition.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I recently build a new AR using a Rainier Arms Match 18" 1:8 in .223 Wylde. It's a very nice shooting gun. At an indoor range I was able to get 5 shot groups of .4" MOA with 62 gr factory ammo. I will be working up some 69 and 79 gr hand loads for it soon. I am thinking about sending the barrel off to be fluted to reduce the weight but I'm not sure yet.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Had an experienced competition shooter help me put together an AR build mainly for coyotes. One of his criteria was Wylde chamber.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Funny thing, just had a discussion about this chambering with another INGO member throwing together a rifle. This is what I told him in reference to what I put through my WOA 20" Service Rifle Upper (.223 Wylde, 20" bbl, 1:7):

L6YPi8FnoqA9JYQqhAM3T1UsrztpdACq4_4a3BPMVXEggbpkYx4WK6tw4AxchQl-_btklRyuE1nVfptB0FSm-5oCTHy3jQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Don't go crazy though. You'll be fine with an 18" 1:8 shooting bulk ammo. Get yourself to an Appleseed and nail down the mechanics of positional shooting. Worry about the ammo later. (I have found that Walmart Value Pack Federal .223 Rem works just fine in my WOA upper.)

Thanks! I have the same barrel.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    Another tidbit on the wylde chamber, I believe it is named after a guy I knew who lived in Greenup IL, he was at the forefront of turning AR's into serious shooters, his name was Bill Wylde. His favorite bbl was a 3 groove, I think from South Africa. He made match rifles, free floated the barrel, made his own match triggers, this was back in the early 80's, let me tell you those guns could shoot, if someone showed up to a match with one he almost always won high overall.

if I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. :ingo:

Top Bottom