• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjlee92836

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Hi all:
    I have a 223 Wylde, 18" SS Barrel, PSA. It cycles any 223 ammo I run through it, but will not run 5.56 consistently. I might get 2 rounds through, the bolt closes on an empty chamber. Occasionally the trigger resets - but still have an empty chamber. Thoughts?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My 223 Wylde doesn't like steel case ammunition at all, but I hear that's about normal with 223 Wylde chamber.

It shoots brass case 5.56 without any problems. I am using a BCA 20" upper, stainless steel barrel.

What magazines are you using. That might be a starting point. Does it happen with all your magazines and have you tried different brands?

ed1838

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 20, 2022
    Seymour
    Might try running wet for awhile if new rifle. Also if you fire 1 round does bolt stay open? If does not could be gas issue.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    If it ejects the old case without picking up a new round, the bolt is not going far enough back. Gas issue, bolt carrier issue or recoil spring issue. Since it does work with plain jane .223, I would try other ammo first.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If it ejects the old case without picking up a new round, the bolt is not going far enough back. Gas issue, bolt carrier issue or recoil spring issue. Since it does work with plain jane .223, I would try other ammo first.
    I thought of that but 5.56 is supposed to be hotter than 223. So I figured that wasn't the cause. However, thinking about it not all ammunition is the same. We do not know what he was using yet, that would be a big help.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That's weird. I have a 12.5-in Rainier Arms SBR barrel with a Wylde chamber and it runs everything I put in it including steel case. Suppressed or unsuppressed
    If you do research you'll find a lot of Wylde chambers do not like steel case ammunition. As will any firearm there are exceptions. You might have one.

I think a lot has to do with how tight your 223 Wylde chamber is. If it's as loose as a 5.56 you're not going to notice any difference.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015

Bingo. Gas port pressure, plus shorter-than-designed dwell time from the 18" tube. It's happened before.

I thought of that but 5.56 is supposed to be hotter than 223. So I figured that wasn't the cause. However, thinking about it not all ammunition is the same. We do not know what he was using yet, that would be a big help.

5.56 usually is, but that doesn't tell the while story. The powder burn rate, and resultant pressure curve, determine where the barrel pressure is when the bullet heel passes the gas port and begins pressurizing the tube. Same reason some powders should NOT be used in an M1A, and similar...might be the same muzzle velocity, but it got there in a different way. The difference being a busted-a** op rod, cause your powder was too slow and had WAY too much port pressure left.

Anyway. I digress. It is possible that the 5.56 has a powder that is "right quick", and is dropping toward the lower end of acceptable port pressure...and it really needs either a larger port, or ideally, 2 more inches of barrel to gas for longer before the bullet uncorks at the muzzle.

The .223 might be a little slower powder, and is carrying more pressure, so gets away with the short gas timeline.

SOME 18" barrels, port diameters, and load combinations that don't work well with rifle gas would actually run more positively if they were a carbine gas system, or an intermediate between the two.
    That's weird. I have a 12.5-in Rainier Arms SBR barrel with a Wylde chamber and it runs everything I put in it including steel case. Suppressed or unsuppressed
    Totally different operating system. Totally different issues with it. And there are issues.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Bingo. Gas port pressure, plus shorter-than-designed dwell time from the 18" tube. It's happened before.

5.56 usually is, but that doesn't tell the while story. The powder burn rate, and resultant pressure curve, determine where the barrel pressure is when the bullet heel passes the gas port and begins pressurizing the tube. Same reason some powders should NOT be used in an M1A, and similar...might be the same muzzle velocity, but it got there in a different way. The difference being a busted-a** op rod, cause your powder was too slow and had WAY too much port pressure left.

Anyway. I digress. It is possible that the 5.56 has a powder that is "right quick", and is dropping toward the lower end of acceptable port pressure...and it really needs either a larger port, or ideally, 2 more inches of barrel to gas for longer before the bullet uncorks at the muzzle.

The .223 might be a little slower powder, and is carrying more pressure, so gets away with the short gas timeline.

SOME 18" barrels, port diameters, and load combinations that don't work well with rifle gas would actually run more positively if they were a carbine gas system, or an intermediate between the two.

Totally different operating system. Totally different issues with it. And there are issues.
    Thanks for the great explanation.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Hi all:
    I have a 223 Wylde, 18" SS Barrel, PSA. It cycles any 223 ammo I run through it, but will not run 5.56 consistently. I might get 2 rounds through, the bolt closes on an empty chamber. Occasionally the trigger resets - but still have an empty chamber. Thoughts?
    Best thing you can do is to not use that ammo, and thank your stars that you found that out when it didn't count.

If you want to dive down the rabbit hole of learning everything your rifle wants or does not want, that's what we call handloading, and it's arguably foolish, sometimes stupid, and quite a good time on occasion.

Many would say to just follow my first sentence, and shoot the rifle with something it does like, and don't focus on what it does not. They might be right.

Top Bottom