• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Guys, run the ballistics on a .22-250 with a 90 Berger and see if that makes you think twice about ANY comparison of the Valkyrie to larger CF rounds...and .22 is TINY from a ballistic perspective.

-Nate

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Totally interesting. It adds ~150-200 fps over what the .223 can do with the same bullet.

If that actually holds true, it is legitimately an 1,100-1,200 yard pea shooter.

saynation

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2014
    South Bend, IN
    This has me very very interested, for a number of reasons.

1. Ammo is currently on the market already on the shelf at $10.99-$11.49 per box! There's not a lot calibers in that price point that offer that level of performance. Yes you can technically get the same level of performance (accuracy and distance-wise) out of a large 7.62 caliber round, but a ridiculously high BC would make this more forgiving to a new long distance shooter. A relative low cost of entry makes it even more appealing.

2. The companies that are on the list for developing rifles and accessories are known for quality. Clearly this had an impression on Barrett, LWRC, LMT, JP and the like. I am willing to bet that this will have the same industry effect on the long range market that .300 BLK had on the short range/suppressed market.

3. Federal probably took a look at all the AR-15's that were sold in the last 10 years and want introduce all those owners to the long range game. The use of 6.8 SPC as the parent casing is genius. That caliber is dead but the leftover raw material and the knowledge that goes with how to use it is already available.

JonProphet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    At what point does the madness stop?

I don't see the point in the new round other than the race car guys having the newest wiz bang range toy.

I'm just now buying a creedmore. Its a range toy for my family. I'm still shooting the venerable .308.

I guess that is the only reason why the companies year after year, try new stuff. To keep people coming back buying new bits and parts. Its like crack.

Needless to say, I'm not interested.

-JD-

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, more options suck.

With this round prompting 100 grain .224 pills, I'll be loading up some heavy, high BC subsonic .223 to run through the can. Because I can.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    With this round prompting 100 grain .224 pills, I'll be loading up some heavy, high BC subsonic .223 to run through the can. Because I can.

What's your twist rate?

The answer better start with a 6.

-Nate

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I got one!!

yhiLwPyh.jpg

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Bloody hell. Really?! 1:6.0" twist?! Mine was a SOOPER custom deal from Wisconsin to get what I use for 90s.

Alright Phylo, you win the day. :):

-Nate

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I am in Dallas on business this week. I was in cabela's and found 224valk on the shelves. the fmj (forget the grain) was 9.99 for a box of 20, not bad for new federal brass. They also had a couple other loads that topped out around 26 bucks for 20 rounds. I am surprised that it is on the shelf already, other than jp I have yet to see a factory offering in it. Federal seems to really be pushing the caliber. I take that as a good sign.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've seen a few manufacturers with offerings already, with Cross Machine Tool being one of my favorites. The complete upper is quite pricey though.

The specialty guys have it, but none if the mass producers have released a rifle chambered in it.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

They have announced the launch but it's not on the shelves yet. I thought it was interesting that you could get ammo before the widespread release of the hardware. Savage says late Jan but along the guys at the counter they couldn't even pull one up to order or check prices. So yes there are mass producers lined up, but they are not available.

Top Bottom