• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    Hey all. I'm curious if anyone has done any builds, or purchased a .224 Valkyrie rifle. I gotta say, it all almost sounds too good to be true. A .22 caliber round with the energy and balistics of a 6.8 SPC, seems it would make for a great varmint gun as well as a long range plinker.
    But now the debate. Buy a complete .224 Valkyrie, build one, or just have a dedicated upper to swap out with my standard AR15. I've heard great things about the CMMG .224 rifle, but I'm also intrigued by some of the other companies that are doing just uppers. Anyone have any input?

akethan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    I'm in the LaRue buildAR club and bought a couple of barrels. I installed one in my LaRue Stealth 2.0 chassis a few weeks ago but haven't had to time make it to the range.

Attachments

• 224v.jpg
      224v.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 13

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I gotta say, it all almost sounds too good to be true. A .22 caliber round with the energy and balistics of a 6.8 SPC, seems it would make for a great varmint gun as well as a long range plinker.

I think a bit of your information may in fact be too good to be true. While the Valkyrie looks like an impressive round, and may have the ballistics of 6.8SPC, it does not have the energy, unless you are only considering retained energy past 800 yards or so. This article posts a comparison of 6.5 Grendel (which starts out with less energy than 6.8 SPC) and the Valkyrie. For paper punching, the Valkyrie looks very impressive, but at hunting or usual combat ranges, its energy is still ‘meh’ IMHO.

The AR-15's Creedmoor? .224 Valkyrie vs. .22 Nosler and 6.5 Grendel (Modern Intermediate Calibers 025) - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm wondering about the 22 nosler. Seems to be close to 22-250 speeds.

Nosler backs up their loads, but that round came and went fast. Midway did a huge push on release with them and ended up clearancing the uppers at 30 to 40 percent off within 3 months. I believe federal will push the valk well into the future. They use the same case as 6.8spc, and federal has a few military contracts to supply ammo for that round. 224 lets them diversify their brass when contract slumps come through.

I think both rounds have good companies backing them. Based solely on my observation as a frequent firearms consumer the 224 has a lot of industry momentum behind it. Everyone is making a 224, seems to be paralleling the popularity rise of the Grendel. The 22Nosler has a small, but high quality group of manufacturers behind it.

Federal advertises that their 90gr 224 load will 391" of drop at 1k and the 22nosler 77gr has 481" of drop with more wind drift. Of course that is from the manufacturer of the round lol.

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Does anyone have a few fired brass for that 224 Val? I have a 22PDK, and i am sure they are almost the same of close enough to reform them for what i need. Thanks

tallpaulr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    depends on how the neck is formed out on the brass. longer neck does better to hold off that erosion as well as the geometry of the case shoulders and how it focuses the flame out of the case. But in general yes, more speed from more powder will equal more erosion and well the faster you shoot it like through and ar the harder is it on things. less time to cool.

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    I've done alot of research the last couple of weeks on the 224 valkyrie. I was going to purchase a 6.5 creedmore for long range, but after my research, I will wait until the market produces more bolt guns (probably savage) and purchase a 224. Cheaper to shoot, less recoil, smaller frame, supersonic to 1300. I am not worried about the energy as i will only use it for varmints and steel.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've done alot of research the last couple of weeks on the 224 valkyrie. I was going to purchase a 6.5 creedmore for long range, but after my research, I will wait until the market produces more bolt guns (probably savage) and purchase a 224. Cheaper to shoot, less recoil, smaller frame, supersonic to 1300. I am not worried about the energy as i will only use it for varmints and steel.

The main advantage to the valkyrie is the ability to run in the AR platform. Running one in a bolt would kill the benefit of the cartridge.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I am currently building one up from the following components:

Colt Competition Upper & Lower
    CMMG 24" .224 Barrel
    CMMG Matched BCG
    CMC Match Trigger
    Magpul PRS3 Stock
    Midwest Industries 15" GEN II SS Series M-LOK Handguard
    Toric UHD 4-20x50 MOA/MOA LR Scope with Custom Etched Turret

She should be a shooter!

tsilveus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 4, 2014
    United States
    It's definitely an advantage of the round (ar platform) but not one I particularly care about. The ballistic coefficient for long range shooting in a cheaper round with less recoil is what I was intetested in.

Top Bottom