• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I just bit the bullet, pulled the trigger, whatever you want to call it. Found the 18" PSA complete Valkyrie upper for $299 and ordered it and 100 rds of cheap ammo. Then I slipped over to Midway USA and ordered dies, two magazines, and 200 pieces of brass. Called Dillon Precision for info on a caliber conversion kit and found I already have the correct shell plate, powder funnel, and buttons. I also have a variety of bullets appropriate for the round. The die is cast. The wait is on.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I just bit the bullet, pulled the trigger, whatever you want to call it. Found the 18" PSA complete Valkyrie upper for $299 and ordered it and 100 rds of cheap ammo. Then I slipped over to Midway USA and ordered dies, two magazines, and 200 pieces of brass. Called Dillon Precision for info on a caliber conversion kit and found I already have the correct shell plate, powder funnel, and buttons. I also have a variety of bullets appropriate for the round. The die is cast. The wait is on.

I saw those on sale. Looking forward to your reviews on this caliber.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    We have dies, brass, bullets, loaded ammo, and everything else you might need to enjoy this caliber on the shelf. Be glad to help out any of you that are trying to get started in the 224 Valkyrie world.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We have dies, brass, bullets, loaded ammo, and everything else you might need to enjoy this caliber on the shelf. Be glad to help out any of you that are trying to get started in the 224 Valkyrie world.

Really glad to hear that. I like to shoot some factory loads before I start rolling my own. The dies, brass, and magazines I ordered came yesterday and today I got an email from PSA with UPS tracking numbers for the upper and ammo.

Piobair

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    NWI
    Took the suggestions, did research, and finished my build as a 6.5 Grendel. A scope and some ammo, and I can take it to the range.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I like the idea of the 6.5G a LOT. But I think everything that makes it so good would make it even better in 6mm. I think that was Robert Whitley's idea behind the 6mm AR.

The last thing the world needs though is yet another 6mm cartridge.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I finished this .224 Valyrie build a month ago and still haven't picked the glass for it yet. I chose to build mine around the 24" barrel, which is what Federal specified from the beginning to get the most from the cartridge.

LyOmcyol.jpg

Jmiyake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Crown point
    I have been kicking around the idea of doing a 224 build as well. my only concern is if the round is the flavor of the month and isnt going to last or take off in popularity. has anybody else had those thoughts? as far as the range you will be primarily shooting at I have always been of the opinion of having the capability for more than you need than needing that 400-600 yard shot and not having it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Actually got to shoot the Valkyrie this afternoon. Went to a shindig at the niece's place and took a few shots before the crowd showed up. All I wanted to do is make sure it went BANG and get the scope looking where the gun was shooting. Only had 50 yards to shoot but mission accomplished. Took a few shots to get the scope adjusted but the last 5 were pretty good. Our nephew put 2 into a half inch, the wife put 2 touching on a different POA, and I took the last shot at her hits and missed by a half inch. Shooting cheap Federal American Eagle 75 gr FMJ. Next stop will be the 100 and 200 yard ranges at Crosley F&W next week. I'll cook up a couple more loads before then.

Jmiyake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Crown point
    I Bit the bullet and just ordered my PSA 20 inch Upper. going to build up a lower for it before it comes in. thinking i am going to toss a UBR 2 i have laying around on it. Also I just ordered a bunch of Federal American Eagle 75gr. only question now is optic for it? the time being i have a vortex viper 4-12 i am going to pull off my 308 and put on it.

Jmiyake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2018
    Crown point
    DRob, when it all comes in and i have the opportunity to put some shots down range I will make sure I post an update. Honestly how i shoot its not going to make a dam bit of difference most likely but we will see on paper the ballistics of it with the 20 inch barrel seem intriguing to me. I have to say thou I would really love to see a Ruger Precision rifle or similar manufacture make one in 224. I know Mossberg came out with one but I am not a fan. I think it would just be nice to have something similar to the 6.5 but at like 20 cents per round cheaper.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Shot the Valkyrie at 100 Yards yesterday. Put 5 rounds of Federal American Eagle factory ammo through it to warm up the barrel then switched to the 4 different home-brew loads I took. 10 rds each of 75 gr Hornady ELD-M over 26.2 and 26.9 gr of CFE223. 10 rds each of 69 gr SMK over 27.3 and 28.3 gr of same. When I really want to see how a gun shoots I have my wife shoot it which she did after I shot 5 rds of each load. We ended up with nothing spectacular but the gun showed a preference for the 75 gr./26.2 load with the hotter 69/28.3 load running a close 2nd. The 75 put 4 shots into 3/4" with one flyer stretching the group to 1.5". The 69 also had a flyer stretching the group from 1" to 1.5". The other 2 loads both experienced good horizontal placement but had 3" vertical stringing. Gonna' try some more loads but Crosley is a long way from home. We'll shoot 200 yards next time. It was occupied yesterday.

By the way, this was my first experience with CFE223. Seems like it did what they claim. Found very little sign of copper fouling when I cleaned it.

Top Bottom