• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I'm new to the Class III world and looking for a suppressor for my recently acquired Buckmark Whisper. Ideally, I'd like something that user serviceable, and DURABLE. I plan to shoot the ever living snot out of it (whole point of 22, right?) and I'd rather "buy once, cry once." Get quality now and save myself another tax stamp down the road. Recommendations? I've checked out the YHM and Spectre so far. Any others I should consider?
    :ingo:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have a Tactical Innovations Stratus.

Not the cheapest... But I got a decent deal. Plus, at the time, it was one of the only ones I could find locally & in-stock. I bought the Stratus because it's the same OD & finish color/texture as the Tactical Solutions PacLite upper receiver that I installed on my Ruger pistol.

Not end-user serviceable. If I had to do it over again, I'd hunt for one that I could disassemble & clean it myself.

Ask 20 folks your question...and you'll get 15 different answers!

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Can't go wrong with a Thompson Machine Zephyr. I have the XL myself (having only got it last friday and put 1000 rounds thru it already, i cant speak to its long term durability), and love it. Turned my 22 into what sounds like an air-gun. Besides that gemtech makes great cans, and their new OBIID is user serviceable.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    We currently have in stock;

SWR Spectre's
    SWR Warlock
    AAC Pilot's (Old Model)
    AAC Element
    Tactical Innovations Tac-65's

We got on the way;

AAC Prodigy
    Silencer Co. Sparrow's
    Huntertown Arms Guardian 22

I myself prefer;

Huntertown Arms Guardian - Low cost, very quiet, and requires only a 1" wrench to take apart. Made here in Indiana.

AAC Element - Very very quiet, short and small diameter. Comes apart easily, but requires tool (included), very durable 17 series stainless steel baffles, rated for .22mag and .17hmr as well.

AAC Prodigy - Mono core, super quiet, comes apart easily, nuff said.

Silencer Co. Sparrow - On par with the Prodigy, but made with Stainless.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    We currently have in stock;

SWR Spectre's
    SWR Warlock
    AAC Pilot's (Old Model)
    AAC Element
    Tactical Innovations Tac-65's

We got on the way;

AAC Prodigy
    Silencer Co. Sparrow's
    Huntertown Arms Guardian 22

I myself prefer;

Huntertown Arms Guardian - Low cost, very quiet, and requires only a 1" wrench to take apart. Made here in Indiana.

AAC Element - Very very quiet, short and small diameter. Comes apart easily, but requires tool (included), very durable 17 series stainless steel baffles, rated for .22mag and .17hmr as well.

AAC Prodigy - Mono core, super quiet, comes apart easily, nuff said.

Silencer Co. Sparrow - On par with the Prodigy, but made with Stainless.

Thanks!
    Once I figure out which one, I'll be coming up to visit you guys. :yesway:
    how does the Guardian compare to the Element/Sparrow/Spectre?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Thanks!
    Once I figure out which one, I'll be coming up to visit you guys. :yesway:
    how does the Guardian compare to the Element/Sparrow/Spectre?

Besides is being made from Aluminum it is very comparable in the sound reduction. Granted the Stainless cans will be more durable, I've passed 3500(ish) rounds through my demo Guardian and am very pleased as to how it performs. With the simplicity of the take down of the can itself it is hard for me to recommend anything that requires a spanner wrench or specialty tool in the future, also with the Mono-core option becoming more refined and close to production. The modular design of the Guardian will make interesting to see how it affects the industry.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Go with the Guardian! to much value for the price... what ever you decide go to 21st to get it, they know there ****...

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I just shot the hell out of my sparrow yesterday and I'm very pleased with it! I don't have the stainless version but this one works well. I didn't find any POI shift on the can either.

Have fun!

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I think an important aspect that isn't addressed in first time buyers is how it will affect your point of impact. How quiet is always the first thing and price following shortly after. I can probably count on one hand how many people bring up the POI though.

Your Sparrow can be upgraded to a SS mono-core.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I think an important aspect that isn't addressed in first time buyers is how it will affect your point of impact. How quiet is always the first thing and price following shortly after. I can probably count on one hand how many people bring up the POI though.

Hmmmm. hadn't thought about that. Wouldn't that be something you can't really assess until you actually get it on the host? Or is it something consistent from can to can, e.g. Elements always shoot low or something like that?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm glad this thread got started.

The thought crossed my mind on getting a Buckmark Camper (since it's the cheapest) and putting a 4 inch trail lite Tactical Solutions barrel on it; then put a can on it.

So, what about Tacical Solutions' silencers? Like the Cascade?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

Just me? Awww shucks. You didn't have to.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Can't go wrong with a Thompson Machine Zephyr. I have the XL myself (having only got it last friday and put 1000 rounds thru it already, i cant speak to its long term durability), and love it. Turned my 22 into what sounds like an air-gun. Besides that gemtech makes great cans, and their new OBIID is user serviceable.

Am looking at the Zephyr XL myself when I jump in, user serviceable, and the XL ought to be able to handle multiple hosts easy enough (my GSG, and hopefully 10/22 and Buckmark in the future...)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I have a zephyr and it is the shizzle. I'd give Corey from SSNFA a message if you're interested. He made the hole process simple.

Top Bottom