• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    would a cnmg 22lr conversion be accurate enough for qualifications.

I went through my first Appleseed a couple of months ago. I don't think it would work well for you. All of the conversions I have fired have not been very accurate. It's tough hitting the simulated 400 yd targets and you need to know that the rifle will put the rounds where you want them.

Your AR barrel is set to work with .224 bullets, with 22LR you are firing .222 bullets. Can't expect much accuracy with that much slop.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The Spikes conversion bolt I ran in my AR15 prior to getting a dedicated upper was capable at 25yrds of the 4MOA standard required to earn your patch. I wouldn't recommend it because the standard "Black Dog" 26rnds mags don't do you any favors during the prone position shooting, and without a bolt hold open adapter you have another slight disadvantage, but even though my dedicated upper is considerably more accurate than the conversion bolt, and a Marlin 795 is a better match for Appleseed (and costs about the same as a conversion bolt) my experience is that it is accurate enough to get it done, if you are.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    So far the only conversion kit I've seen on the line jammed up after the first string of fire and wouldn't run the rest of the day.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    The last three conversions I saw did not operate successfully through the whole weekend. I know one instructor who has a conversion kit he swears by but he adds the caveat that it is very ammo sensitive and doesn't like poor weather.

I think its probably best identified on a case by case basis since the internets are so split on them. Can it run 500 rounds without cleaning? Can it holds 4 MOA?

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I have a rifleman patch I earned with a 20" AR using a Spikes 22 drop in conversion. I had 2 failures to extract over the whole weekend, next time I'll clean it before I go.

GoldenBear

Plinker
    Dec 2, 2012
    would a cnmg 22lr conversion be accurate enough for qualifications.
    When I drop my CMMG conversion bolt into my 16" AR, the best group I get is 2 MOA (but due to shooter error, usually 3 MOA), shooting CCI MiniMags. If I'm shooting 500-round bulk pack, open that up by another MOA.

To qualify as an Expert Rifleman on the Army Qualification Test, you'll need to shoot to a four minute-of-angle standard. Not saying it can't be done, but there's not much room for error (I've succeeded it in practice, but not at an Appleseed).

Appleseed is a come as you are affair. I'd like to drive a Porche to work, but the Camry is nice and dependable. Bring what you got, then run whatcha brung.

Top Bottom