.22lr conversion for AR15 VS dedicated .22 rifle (such as the Henry AR-7)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Trying to determine whether to just get a .22lr conversion and mags for the AR or buy the Henry AR-7 pack rifle.

1. Weight reduction and convenience
    2. Accuracy

The above two things I'm mainly considering. I think it's obvious that a dedicated rifle will perform better, but I'm not interested in carrying two separate rifles, nor an additional upper.

So would the .22lr conversion kit perform reasonably well, or would you go for the pack rifle.

additional thoughts....If you ran out of .223/5.56 would you continue to carry your rifle in hopes of finding more ammo for it? The conversion kit would then justify continuing to carry it since my .22 ammo would be my backup survival ammo.

The above is in relation to a SHTF scenario.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The conversion worked alright in my Armalite. I didn't have any issues, and accuracy out to 25yrds was probably a 3/4" x 3/4" square. Not as good as a dedicated .22, but good enough for any practical purposes. I lucked into a dedicated upper so I sold my conversion kit (a Spikes nickel plated version, for the record) and I find that accuracy did in fact improve; maybe not such a big deal at 25 yrds (where the upper will cloverleaf but the conversion just sort of filled the 3/4" x 3/4" box), but at longer distances. For your purpose, so long as you bought some extra springs and a spare parts kit, I imagine the conversion kit would do just fine, but I do like the dedicated upper better.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    With the price of the MP15-22 and the Colt .22 LR's theres really no reason to go with a .22 upper.

Like I said, I don't want to carry two full size rifles. Also, my thoughts on .22lr AR look-alike's is that they're more for show than function. I'll carry an AR-15 cause I was trained on the M16 platform and every part and mass of material used is essential to the platform. While the 15-22 may be a cool rifle, I'd rather carry a 10/22 for a dedicated .22lr platform. I can't pack a 10/22 in my pack though and that's what I'm looking to do if not a conversion kit.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Look up the reviews for the ar-7. I had one for a short while and it was rather picky with ammo

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    I just got done finishing up this little project.
    I managed to get a Chiappa .22 upper at the NRA Convention in Pittsburg straight from Chiappa for the meger price of $189 with two mags included.
    I am kind of skeptical about the conversion kits.
    They tend to lead up the barrels and chambers and the twist rate of most barrels are not really suitable for the light .22 bullets.
    I have about 200-300 rounds thru it and so far, no issues except it is hard to put down.
    It is really fun to shoot.
    Only other thing to mention is this upper does not like a light trigger, so if you use a match grade or target trigger, you might not get it to work due to light strikes.
    I ended up going with a QMS trigger group from ALG Defense.
    It is a good, clean mil spec trigger that sould have enough oomph behind it to work.
    I figure that by going this way, I can always take the upper off and use it for other projects.
    attachment.php

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I chose to go with a drop-in .22 kit for my 5.56 AR-15A3. Not only is it as quick and easy as switching bolt carriers, but it also allows me to train on cheap .22 with the exact same rifle and optic configuration. Having a dedicated upper would be nice, but this allows for a minimum change between training and operational. Plus, it fits in your pocket!

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I chose to go with a drop-in .22 kit for my 5.56 AR-15A3. Not only is it as quick and easy as switching bolt carriers, but it also allows me to train on cheap .22 with the exact same rifle and optic configuration. Having a dedicated upper would be nice, but this allows for a minimum change between training and operational. Plus, it fits in your pocket!

I'm thinking more and more about just getting a conversion. It's the cheapest way, requires little additional weight and takes up very little space. I guess now I should be looking up videos comparing the accuracy between say a CMMG kit and an AR-7, since both apparently have their faults.

This choice has more to do with survival philosophy than the philosophy of actively engaging targets. If I'm down to nothing but .22lr, then I'm certainly not looking to engage targets unless its absolutely necessary to stay alive.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Skip conversion, they are crap for accuracy... Go get yourself one of these: ULW UPPER 22LR

I bought a barrel from them and used my existing conversion. I will never go back...

IMAGE_11.jpeg

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think you'll be pretty happy. Like I said, my conversion kit shot "minute of squirrel" all day long out to a pretty fair distance. The kit itself is pretty rugged, so long as you kept a supply of the springs and a spare extractor hook or two, it'd be an easy, light, compact way to carry around an additional caliber option for your AR.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Like I said, I don't want to carry two full size rifles. Also, my thoughts on .22lr AR look-alike's is that they're more for show than function. I'll carry an AR-15 cause I was trained on the M16 platform and every part and mass of material used is essential to the platform. While the 15-22 may be a cool rifle, I'd rather carry a 10/22 for a dedicated .22lr platform. I can't pack a 10/22 in my pack though and that's what I'm looking to do if not a conversion kit.
    Just my opinion, but have you ever picked up/used a 15-22? It's every bit an AR15 as a .223, just a different caliber, same as a 6.8 or a .450 bushmaster is. Everything works just the same as an AR, so if you're used to the manual of arms, it'll be exactly what you've trained with. The Colt however is essentially a regular .22 rifle in an ar shell, not much different than the mossberg. The bolt release doesn't even work.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Another vote here for the Ruger 10/22 takedown. Have had mine for awhile, but only put maybe 200 rds through it. Its accurate and I've never had an issue at all. Comes apart so easy, comes with a very nice bag to put it in and wear as a backpack.

Good luck, Jon

Top Bottom