• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I see nothing wrong with your defensive choice of caliber, whatsoever.

Each person has the ability to read up on the various pros and cons of each caliber and make an informed choice.

In short, one is making a trade-off between ease of handling, cost, stopping power, etc.

Women may prefer a smaller caliber or men with small wallets may just be looking for something that is less expensive, etc.

What I think the video did do well was look at the entire situation in stopping an attacker instead of just "stopping power." In extreme situations there is a lot more that goes into it than just dropping the target. It is the elimination of the threat. It does not matter whether killing them or making the threat retreat, so long as the threat ends.

For that purpose ANY gun will work rather well, especially compared to no gun.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    FWIW, I ended up getting a Walther P22 for the wife to carry. After years working in a factory her hands and arms are shot and she just CAN'T handle the recoil of any of my larger caliber handguns. So, I figured at the end of the day 10/10 center mass (she's a hell of a shot) with a 22LR beats the heck out of any number of larger holes in the ground, wall, everywhere but the bad guy or the thing just flat out jumping from her hand.
    I might try to check out one of those Rhino's sometime though to see just how soft the recoil is with them.

Same here...she's in her mid 60's now and her hands simply can't handle anything bigger. The P22 carries 11 rounds and she is deadly with the gun. It will do the job for her.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I keep hearing about how many times a rim fire has misfired. If you think of how many more rimfire rounds you fire than others, or that many people think of .22's as fun guns and therefore buy from the cheapest they can find (guns and ammo) I think the lowly .22 has gotten an undeserved bad reputation.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I have been considering the lcr 22 or walther p22 anyone have any experience with these?

My wife has a P22. She likes it. Prolly one of the best handling guns I've fired. I like it so much I bought A Walther PPQ...the 9MM version.

The .22LR is all she is willing to handle. So, something is better than nothing.

katfishinking

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    southwestern ind.
    I agree that any gun is better than no gun. in a stressful situation, it is hard to be consistant with any gun. one should carry what they are comfortable with. for me, I want something I know will eliminate the threat immediately. give me my xds, in.45 acp.

Cottong2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Down the road a piece...
    I agree that any gun is better than no gun. in a stressful situation, it is hard to be consistant with any gun. one should carry what they are comfortable with. for me, I want something I know will eliminate the threat immediately. give me my xds, in.45 acp.

I agree with that. The more I handle and shoot my XDS, the more I like it. I'd still like to try out a Shield 9mm or 40 though.

jaybob275

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    A .22 is better than nothing. It's my debate almost every night, I work security and I don't wanna carry my 3" XD .40cal. I have a little 22 with 6 shots and its a dream to carry, it's better than nothing, but I don't wanna go getting in a gun fight with it.

achilles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    My primary concern with 22lr is betting my life on a rim-fire cartridge, not necessarily the caliber. I read the study he was referring to in the video and it made sense to me. Not advocating ccw with a P22 but it is a good reminder that a 22 is absolutely an option if that is all you can afford / handle, carry it....every day.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The Walther PK380 is a pretty heavy gun for a .380, even heavier than the Bersa, and has a good grip surface. If she already likes Walther already she'd probably like it I would suggest she try one, maybe with a hogue grip if the factory grips are too much for her. A .380 is a lot more punch than a .22, enough to fracture a femur or go through-and-through on a gut shot.

Mrs. VERT has a PK380. Recoil is very light, good sights, good grip, good size. We also had a P22 and I ended up selling it to a friend. I like the PK380 but never cared for the P22.

.22 would not be my first choice for a defensive cartridge because of all the previously mentioned reasons. If I were to recommend a 22 for defense it would be a revolver because it gets around some of the ammunition reliability problems.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I believe in a layered defense. Clip knife backs up the 22. 22 backs up my 9mm. Defensive weapon backs up your situational awareness. Situational awareness keeps you from being in that bad situation in the first place.

If a threat is approaching from a known avenue of approach, if you have to start shooting, they have an out to retreat to once the shock of retaliation is upon them. If the threat has no way to retreat, they will do everything in their power to overcome you and you will probably be maimed or killed in the process no matter how many bullets you apply to center of mass.

Got something is better than have nothing. A 22 can effectively deter, maim or kill. Not every gunshot vitim is an instant kill either.

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone who thinks the .22 is a unless round, pm me, I'll come over and shoot you with one. Then and only then will your argument hold water. The same rules for shooting a large caliber round are the same for a .22.

Rule 1-Bring a gun. Check

Rule 2-Shot placement. Check

Why people think a .22 isn't good enough for self defence I don't know. I very sure a BG isn't going to take the time to look at what caliber gun you have before deciding what to do next.

I could also quote the well known stat that says that the .22 kills more people every year than all other caliber's combined.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Last three murder trials in this area, bad guys all used 22lr.

I would think Rugers LCR in the 22wmr would make a great defense weapon for someone that can't handle recoil of bigger cal's or has arthur bad.

Hornady is now making CD ammo for 22wmr as well.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    One might argue that, in some instances, a .22 would be the best all-around SD caliber.

Why?

-- Lowest cost of training means fewer obstacles to being highly trained and proficient.
    -- extremely low recoil greatly assists shot placement in the heat of the moment.

Well over 70% of all the rounds fired by LEOs miss.

We all seem to agree that shot placement is everything, and that you can't miss fast enough to win.

Yet all the caliber A vs Caliber B discussions presume they are all equally likely to have good shot placement in the heat of battle. Is this a valid assumption? Maybe-- maybe not.

If they .22 is 2x more likely to hit the sweet spot than a .40 or 9mm, then that person should probably shoot the .22.

IN other words, larger calibers are only a benefit when you are statistically no less likely to hit the intended point of aim.

JMO

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes .22 is more affordable to practice with and are quite lethal. But we are not talking about killing people. What we are looking for is the ability to stop a threat quickly. The bad guy might flee or simply submit. I would not depend on that since they may be either high on drugs or completely crazy. Then what about his/her buddy. After you pump 10 rounds into the first guy is the second one going to get you?

Don't misunderstand the 22 has its place. If a person is physically not able to handle a larger gun it is an option. I have a friend who keeps a 9 shot smith snubby by the bed and I feel she is as well armed as she can be. 9 shots of high quality 22lr is nothing to sneeze at. But I would not choose that over the same gun in 38spl or a good full capacity centerfire pistol.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone who thinks the .22 is a unless round, pm me, I'll come over and shoot you with one. Then and only then will your argument hold water. The same rules for shooting a large caliber round are the same for a .22.

I love it when folks offer to come over and shoot me. No problem, lets do it.;) Send me a PM and I'll get you an address where we can have a gunfight. :rolleyes:

Be sure to keep in mind, I'll be shooting back (maybe first) with a caliber designed for self defense against your .22lr, designed for small game, targets and plinking...

Top Bottom