• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Only in revolvers with interchangeable cylinders.

The relationship between the .22 LR and .22 Mag (.22 WMR) is not like the .38 spl and .357 mag, where the .357 is just longer. The .22 LR uses a heel based bullet meaning that the diameter of the bullet is about the same as the case itself with a smaller diameter "heel" to fit in the case.

With most rounds, the diameter of the bullet is smaller than the case such that no part of the bullet is the same diameter as the case. This is important because the .22 Mag uses a non-heel bullet. Therefore, to fit the .224 bullet, the .22 Mag case is .242" while the case of a .22 LR is .226. That's a significant difference.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Don't do it. I have seen it done several times on the range. As stated above split cases, lots of blowback and terrible accuracy. People try it because they do not want to buy the more expensive 22 mag ammo

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Like others have said.... don't do it. Many dangers involved in it. I've seen 2 cylinders destroyed by doing this.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I didn't see how this could destroy a gun but I guess if you did it enough, you would eventually have gas cutting from the brass being split every shot.

So I guess it can destroy a gun... I wouldn't have assumed it was any worse than putting a .410 in a 45-70 to use in a pinch. Of course that isn't a good idea to do very much either, but there's not much way it could blow up the gun. Don't think a 22lr is going to blow up a 22 magnum either, really, but with excessive use I do see gas cutting becoming possible.

And yea there are cases where you MAY want to drop a 410 in a 45-70... If you don't have a 410 but encounter one or 2 snakes a year and happen to have some birdshot sitting around. So just giving the reasoning there.

Top Bottom