22LR Kit & Mags for M16A1 Kit on Full Auto - Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Looking for ideas, experiences and since this is a local forum maybe some trigger time, of 22LR kits for use in the M16A1 on full auto.

Have a dozen Black Dog metal feed lip mags that if they worked, would be a useful positive.

While talking, close friend got a couple RLL last year, so a side discussion on what works with a RLL is also appreciated (he is out of state).

Thanks

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Full auto .22lr is cool. Full auto suppressed .22lr is extra cool. But if you want to shoot suppressed full auto you will probably want a short barrel to keep most .22lr subsonic. This means you may opt for a 4.5” barrel. .22lr is inherently dirty and in full auto, the internals get fouled faster than in semi, so you will probably want stainless bolt and barrel collar to address this issue. After you are done, you should have something that looks like this…
    AR2201.jpg

2012HushShoot_22ARSup_01.jpg

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    CMMG has a full auto conversion kit. They were selling them at Knob Creek for $220 with two mags. Your black dogs would work with that kit.

Unsure of compatibility on the RLL

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I don't know of any .22 kits that work with a LL. Maybe post over on the M16 section of AR15.com. If there is such a thing, someone there will know about it.

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    .22 full auto

:ar15: I've been using the Ciener (ATCHISSON) KIT for 15 years . It works great , but is very ammo specific . Ciener says to only use Remington high velocity 40 gr bullets. If you want to use a different type of ammo you have to buy an extra recoil spring ( $ 1.25 ) and shorten it a little at a time until it functions . Like others have said 22 ammo is very dirty and when you add a suppresor it is really bad. If you want to shoot a lot you want a bunch of mags. and four kids to keep them loaded . Three seconds to empty a 30 rd. mag. 1 min. to load it .:ar15:

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Why not buy a dedicated .22 upper?

Is an option, and one of the reasons to check which one's work on full auto and how well.

Thanks

Full auto .22lr is cool. Full auto suppressed .22lr is extra cool. But if you want to shoot suppressed full auto you will probably want a short barrel to keep most .22lr subsonic. This means you may opt for a 4.5” barrel. .22lr is inherently dirty and in full auto, the internals get fouled faster than in semi, so you will probably want stainless bolt and barrel collar to address this issue. After you are done, you should have something that looks like this…

Not sure if need SS bolt (parts washer cleans standard bolt fine), upper is interesting but need more technical details, what brand, what option and component shopping list for after the crazy times clear up.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Not sure if need SS bolt (parts washer cleans standard bolt fine)
    Although, ease of cleaning is an advantage of the stainless bolt and barrel collar, the primary advantage is keeping it running longer/more reliably while you are out on the range. However, if you only plan on dumping a few hundred rounds at each trip to the range then a standard steel bolt will suit you just fine.

upper is interesting but need more technical details.
    Barrel/bolt: CMMG 4.75" with Stainless bolt/barrel collar
    Charging handle: CMMG anti-jam
    Trip Kit: CMMG Auto Sear Trip and Anti-Bounce Weight Kit
    BUIS: YHM Q.D.S. front and rear BUIS
    Optic: Vortex Sparc
    Railed Handguard: YHM Carbine Length Diamond Forearm

On a side note, I cannot recommend the CMMG Evolution Magazine pictured in the top picture. None of them worked reliably despite sending them back to CMMG several times for replacement. The BDM X-Form magazines, in the second picture, are excellent performers. Particularly, the nylon feed lipped version. The SS feed lipped version seems more popular, however, in FA the nylon feed lipped version feeds better. I hypothesize this is the case due to reduced coefficient of friction of the nylon material and better cartridge seating/positioning in the lips. I have never had an issue with nylon material degrading or melting during FA fire even after tens of thousands of rounds.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    No mags needed!

For even more FUN and more onlookers go with the old style Lakeside Machine LM7 Beltfed upper for the M16. Semi and full auto, uses both clip and cloth belts. Comes with two -100 round cloth belts, and 200 clips (200 rounds non-stop!) Stop in if you want to see one of the last made, and only known unfired LM7 made.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    For even more FUN and more onlookers go with the old style Lakeside Machine LM7 Beltfed upper for the M16. Semi and full auto, uses both clip and cloth belts. Comes with two -100 round cloth belts, and 200 clips (200 rounds non-stop!) Stop in if you want to see one of the last made, and only known unfired LM7 made.

Agreed!
    LM7_01.jpg

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond

Friend had one before the later system (razor back) came out, was an interesting time ... but not fun. Heard using the later system bolt and light springs in the gun helps a lot.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    Beltfed...

Cool pic.... :):

Mine is the older style (pre-Razor Back). I have read both ways, on which is better? I have never shot either, I would like to play with this one, but is unfired so.... :xmad: I heard they are going to stop making the Razorback also.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    Suppressed FA .22

Yes, (IMO) the FA .22s is more fun than the others, I have a M-11 nine and a Uzi in the shop with .22 kits, also starting to play with adapters for both of these using the American 180 drums, if I can get them fine tuned. Both the IMI kit for the Uzi and the MAX-11/22 Lage run flawless.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Yes, (IMO) the FA .22s is more fun than the others, I have a M-11 nine and a Uzi in the shop with .22 kits, also starting to play with adapters for both of these using the American 180 drums, if I can get them fine tuned. Both the IMI kit for the Uzi and the MAX-11/22 Lage run flawless.

A 22lr Max-11 is a must have.
    Max1101.jpg

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    No no no, M11/22 with AM180 adapter is a must have.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTsENzUrRiQ

JT Id definitely go for one of the beltfed uppers if you can swing it. If not, just get a dedicated upper and give the AM 180 adapter a try.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. Lakeside looks very interesting, except the company is going out of the business as the owner is retiring and this year only making the 1919 type 22LRs. I passed on the first LM7s as they were on a good day a pain, at least until the Razor Back (?) came out and started to work with the Razor Back bolt, or so the story goes. Additionally looking like have to swap out the springs in the Colt M16A1, which since also like to shoot it in 5.56 is nearly a deal breaker (cost of the hunk of aluminum is starting to get high enough that punching pins in and out several times a day becomes less interesting).

Picked up a G3 22LR kit for the HK91 and sears, looks like will give that a try first. There is a AM180 drum kit for that, but is a heavy host.

Other options besides the M16A1 is the son's Uzi (in a LLC with dad ;-), all the MACs are long gone so the new MAC uppers are not an option.

Thanks and any more ideas appreciated, in particular those who have gotten buy w/o swapping springs in the lower of the M16.

ShootinIron

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville
    A180

I was just getting ready to ask for help fine tuning the A180 adapters for the M11 and Uzi..... Are you saying I'm wasting my time?
    The Mac is close, the Uzi????
    You have some cool pics.... :rockwoot:

Top Bottom