• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    In the big picture of things it's really pretty rediculous not to have a pile of 22lr especially after learning the panic buying lesson the hard way. Back in the good old days you could find 1,000rds of 223/5.56 for $300 shipped to your door. That same $300 spent on bricks of 22lr @ $20 per brick would give you 15 bricks of federal 36gr HP with 550 rounds per brick. 550 x 15 = 8,250 rounds of life insurance, tangible net worth, bartering money, play ammo, or whatever else you'd ever want from it. As far as I'm concerned, buying bricks of 22lr is probably one of the best ways a person could invest their money. I still feel for the guys without the ammo though. It's a painful lesson that we all have to learn the hard way, once.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Everyone is saying they will "not be fooled again" and stock up for a year's supply "when this is shortage over". This type of thinking and stockpiling behavior is actually happening now, and is probably what is extending the shortage beyond what anyone expected. I expect that when the shortage ends, everyone (including INGOers) will have had their "year's supply" already bought. Not making judgments, just a thought.

True. I think someone called it a "shortage echo" in another thread. Personally, I've still got enough .22 that I'm not going to be paying crazy prices for it (above $30 a brick, preferably a lot less). That doesn't mean I'm not going to snap up a bulk pack if I happen to get lucky enough to see one at Walmart. I doubt there aren't too many here who is being honest (even those who saw this coming and have 50,000 rounds of .22 on hand) wouldn't do the same.

So, it's just going to take some time to work itself out. But what has to happen first is people have enough on hand that they won't pay high prices. Once that happens, you'll drive flippers out of the market and things will stabilize. It will probably be in short demand for a while at "normal" prices (whatever that ends up being), and then finally people will be saturated. I'm not saying that with any condemnation of flippers or people who have been buying. It's the fact of the market (as annoying as we all may find it).

It's already starting to happen with some calibers, particular .223/5.56, since I'm seeing that more and more on shelves and with prices falling (though still higher than before, with Wolf or Tula going for $7 to $8 a box, instead of $5, but it's less than the $12 to $20 I was seeing it at a few months ago). I'm betting that .22 might just be the last caliber to make the full comeback (well, other than maybe 5.7x28, but even there, prices are dropping when you can find it).

The Wamp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Martinsville
    In the big picture of things it's really pretty rediculous not to have a pile of 22lr especially after learning the panic buying lesson the hard way. Back in the good old days you could find 1,000rds of 223/5.56 for $300 shipped to your door. That same $300 spent on bricks of 22lr @ $20 per brick would give you 15 bricks of federal 36gr HP with 550 rounds per brick. 550 x 15 = 8,250 rounds of life insurance, tangible net worth, bartering money, play ammo, or whatever else you'd ever want from it. As far as I'm concerned, buying bricks of 22lr is probably one of the best ways a person could invest their money. I still feel for the guys without the ammo though. It's a painful lesson that we all have to learn the hard way, once.

What he said... I believe the fact that you can stockpile .22 easily is partly what is behind the shortage. Everybody that can buy it does, because their wallet doesn't leave the store crying.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Was in Dunhams this week. They probably had 350-400 boxes of .223 ammo from various manufacturers. Picked up 4 boxes of Remington Thunderbolts .22 LR at $2.19 /box. They had around 100 boxes plus Winchester 100 round boxes of .22 too. It's out there folks.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    In another year when the 2016 election starts ramping up, I'm looking forward to all those who will talk everyone into teetering on the edge of the cliff. "Hillary is going to ban your guns!!!!!!1!!!1!111!!!!!!" After she wins, everyone will panic, buy everything they can get their hands on, drive the prices up, and leave the shelves empty. Then the same ones who talked them up to the edge of the cliff will try to talk them off the edge and say no ban is coming.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

dswanso1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Fishers
    I actually found some at Dicks sporting goods the other day! Then they decided to only allow everybody to buy one 50 round box each. Wow, that will last long at the range!!

casper975

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I've put out a few want adds with no reply for the federal 550 bulk boxs and the cci mini mags but so far no luck my wife realy wants to shoot the ruger charger since I put the axiom stock and a truglo red dot on it

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just bought Winchester Super X online with free ship-to-store....and the store happens to be visible from my office.

I've been able to find more .22 LR in the last week than I have in months.

MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    I have found some at Gander Mountain from time to time on early delivery day mornings. Most of the time there is a line so I just keep on driving, I don't find it worth my time to stand inline for an hour just to be told "sorry we are sold out." I don't understand people that go to the store and buy every round in stock. Leave some for other people please. I would like to teach my son to shoot my 22lr but I can't find ammo at a reasonable price lately. Some people are saying it is getting better, well I don't know where those people live because it is still next to impossible to find ammo around here.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I found 2 boxes of Winchester 555 bulk packs today. When I asked the inevitable question, how much ? They told me $52 per box..... LOL, Yeah right! and walked away.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I picked up a 325 rd box of federal a few months back on a whim. If you guys want them shoot me a reasonable offer in a pm, and we can work something out. I have 50 rd box of stingers to. Maybe we can keep you guys shootin.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Price still crazy at Lafayette show. Found some agaula sub-sonic for somewhat reasonable if you shoot the premium stuff

Top Bottom