• ...and so much more!
  • profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    This thread makes me want to get my .22 out of the back corner of the gun safe and shoot it. It’s honestly been 20+ years since I have. It’s an old Marlin 39A that I’ve had since I was a kid hunting squirrels with my dad!
    3F3C5019-BB41-4109-AD36-E3E2681E9E20.jpg

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Heck yes, shoot it! Is that a takedown?

I'm a little embarrassed to say that I don't know if it's a specific "takedown" model, but I think it may pre-date that. This one was manufactured in 1950 and is easy to takedown though (supposed to be taken down by using a coin on that large screw). I've learned that it came out a few years before Marlin introduced their Micro-Groove rifling, so it has the Ballard rifling. I've actually recently thought about selling it, since I haven't shot it in so long and I know that someone else would appreciate it more than I do. Just haven't really done the research to consider what I might sell it for, etc.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I'm a little embarrassed to say that I don't know if it's a specific "takedown" model, but I think it may pre-date that. This one was manufactured in 1950 and is easy to takedown though (supposed to be taken down by using a coin on that large screw). I've learned that it came out a few years before Marlin introduced their Micro-Groove rifling, so it has the Ballard rifling. I've actually recently thought about selling it, since I haven't shot it in so long and I know that someone else would appreciate it more than I do. Just haven't really done the research to consider what I might sell it for, etc.

1950... so I glean from that the serial number starts with a G?

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

I'll give you what you paid for it...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Nope, just the field sights on the barrel.

I image then that it is not drilled and tapped on top of the receiver either? That option came much later. Back in the day when one wanted to mount a scope on the 39A(like yours) they would have a gun smith drill and tap the barrel forward of the receiver. Then attach scope rings and scope there. Then ( if my memory serves me) Sears sold the 39A with the afore mentioned holes factory drilled and tapped. A little later than 1950 though and for some reason it was a Sears only thing with Marlin?

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I image then that it is not drilled and tapped on top of the receiver either? That option came much later. Back in the day when one wanted to mount a scope on the 39A(like yours) they would have a gun smith drill and tap the barrel forward of the receiver. Then attach scope rings and scope there. Then ( if my memory serves me) Sears sold the 39A with the afore mentioned holes factory drilled and tapped. A little later than 1950 though and for some reason it was a Sears only thing with Marlin?

You definitely seem to know a lot more about the history of the 39A than I do! Must have been later than 1950 that they started doing that, because here is the top of the rifle:
    FFA6048A-B551-4156-BB57-2B726F886E0D.jpg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You definitely seem to know a lot more about the history of the 39A than I do! Must have been later than 1950 that they started doing that, because here is the top of the rifle:
    View attachment 90230

Very good photo and very correct for a 1950 39A. You have a very nice early 39A there.Take it out and shoot it and enjoy it. Whatever you do, never refinish the wood or bluing as it will drastically affect the collect-ability of the rifle. :)

profjeremy

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 30, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Very good photo and very correct for a 1950 39A. You have a very nice early 39A there.Take it out and shoot it and enjoy it. Whatever you do, never refinish the wood or bluing as it will drastically affect the collect-ability of the rifle. :)

Thanks, I appreciate it! Still haven’t decided if I’m going to hang on to it or sell it. Hadn’t really thought about selling it until I was talking about it and ended up showing pics of it to a guy at a gun store. I could tell he was trying to play it cool and lowball me, yet told me that he would give me $450 for it. I figured that it’s probably worth a bit more than that and go back and forth as to whether I want to hang onto it or sell it to someone who will appreciate it... it’s really a shame that it’s sitting in my gun safe while I’m playing around with AR-10s and 10mms! I almost feel guilty when I go to the range and never take it! :):

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thanks, I appreciate it! Still haven’t decided if I’m going to hang on to it or sell it. Hadn’t really thought about selling it until I was talking about it and ended up showing pics of it to a guy at a gun store. I could tell he was trying to play it cool and lowball me, yet told me that he would give me $450 for it. I figured that it’s probably worth a bit more than that and go back and forth as to whether I want to hang onto it or sell it to someone who will appreciate it... it’s really a shame that it’s sitting in my gun safe while I’m playing around with AR-10s and 10mms! I almost feel guilty when I go to the range and never take it! :):

Not that you asked. However... if I were in your position I would hang on to it.It is a classic and probably holds many fond memories of hunting with your father. You cannot replace that for any amount of $$. So what that you never shoot it currently. Oil it up and put it back in your safe. Look at it this way. It is not eating anything sitting it there. Costing you nothing. One day probably many years from now your AR-10 and 10mm phase will pass and you will look back and wish you had kept it. I speak from experience from when I was in my WWII weapons phase years ago. Now I wish I had back some of what I sold to support that habit, now that the good WWII stuff has priced out of my range. And yes you are right the gun store is "low balling" you. I encourage you to price similar 39A's on GunBroker. You will see they are averaging $600-$700 depending on condition. Just my :twocents:

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    This so much. That gun is to cool to sell and unlikely to go down in value anytime soon.

Not that you asked. However... if I were in your position I would hang on to it.It is a classic and probably holds many fond memories of hunting with your father. You cannot replace that for any amount of $$. So what that you never shoot it currently. Oil it up and put it back in your safe. Look at it this way. It is not eating anything sitting it there. Costing you nothing. One day probably many years from now your AR-10 and 10mm phase will pass and you will look back and wish you had kept it. I speak from experience from when I was in my WWII weapons phase years ago. Now I wish I had back some of what I sold to support that habit, now that the good WWII stuff has priced out of my range. And yes you are right the gun store is "low balling" you. I encourage you to price similar 39A's on GunBroker. You will see they are averaging $600-$700 depending on condition. Just my :twocents:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    New bench, new CZ 457, same old shooter that couldn't get off 5 rounds at 50 yards without throwing a flyer...

aFt3xnn.jpg

HjevBit.jpg

KuQYFal.jpg

Top Bottom