• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Ruger Precision Rimfire, 5 shots, 50 yds, Eley Action Plus 42 gr/HV
    Sorry for the size of the pic, I don't know how to reduce it.
    bw01ptt.jpg
    [/IMG]

Daaannnnggggggg!!!!! Nice group, real nice group. :yesway: Good thing you left the pic big so we could see it. Had thought about getting some of that to try but missed out on it.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys.
    The RPR seems to like the Eley Action Plus. I'm a little surprised because it doesn't shoot as well with other HV ammo like Aguila HV or Mini Mags. Maybe the Eley's extra weight helps stabilize the high velocity round.
    Or maybe I just have good and bad days. :dunno:

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    I just ran some Eley Action Plus Tuesday in my 10/22 and it ran great. I had results like KMac did, though not as tight as his group - that's some good shooting!
    I also ran some CCI "Tactical" with good groupings, it was the first time I tried it and I was pleased.

I am still sorting out my new 10/22 and figuring out what it likes. I dropped in a BX trigger and was using it for the first time Tuesday, not sure I will stick with it but what a huge improvement over the stock trigger.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Thanks guys.
    The RPR seems to like the Eley Action Plus. I'm a little surprised because it doesn't shoot as well with other HV ammo like Aguila HV or Mini Mags. Maybe the Eley's extra weight helps stabilize the high velocity round.
    Or maybe I just have good and bad days. :dunno:

Other reports I've seen elsewhere all have been favorable with both Action and Action Plus. Considering those are Eley's lowest prices offerings I think it shoots way better than the price would indicate. The Action I bought was only a couple bucks more a brick than CCI SV so its a real bargain considering the performance. I think the weight has some to do with it, but also the lube. I've shot other ammo after the Eley, and invariably the first couple of groups would be tighter than average but once the lube was gone, back to normal.

I just ran some Eley Action Plus Tuesday in my 10/22 and it ran great. I had results like KMac did, though not as tight as his group - that's some good shooting!
    I also ran some CCI "Tactical" with good groupings, it was the first time I tried it and I was pleased.

I am still sorting out my new 10/22 and figuring out what it likes. I dropped in a BX trigger and was using it for the first time Tuesday, not sure I will stick with it but what a huge improvement over the stock trigger.

Amazing how much a difference a better trigger makes in them! My wife's tiger carved 10/22 went from a 3-4 MOA rifle to a 2 MOA rifle with a BX.

Oh, and thanks for the ammo report. Y'all are making it hard on my ammo budget!:):

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I always wanted a Lilja barrel and late one evening I was weak and used my CZ 457 as an excuse to get one.

Also added a YoDave trigger spring and brought the trigger pull weight down to ~1 lb +/-.

At some point I will bed the action. I have everything I need except the mindset to chance gluing the action in place. It will come.

m00Tb6I.jpg

E3wnZ15.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I always wanted a Lilja barrel and late one evening I was weak and used my CZ 457 as an excuse to get one.

Also added a YoDave trigger spring and brought the trigger pull weight down to ~1 lb +/-.

At some point I will bed the action. I have everything I need except the mindset to chance gluing the action in place. It will come.

m00Tb6I.jpg

E3wnZ15.jpg

Hello, DARLING!

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I have had the Caldwell shooting gallery for around fifteen years now. It has been loads of fun. Unfortunately this summer the motor seized up and is blowing fuses. I have searched and searched, the shooting gallery isn't out there anymore:(. Caldwell stopped making them. I haven't torn it apart to see if it can be repaired. Not sure if that motor is unique to the shooting gallery and not available.
    watch

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Now I'm just getting frustrated. Brought out the Eley Tenex and Lapua Midas+ to try in the CZ 457 today and I seem to be real good at putting 3 out of 5 through one hole with the other 2 not even touching.

Upper 2 targets are 5 shots @ 50yds and the bottom right is 10 shots. All Tenex.

6E1PmWY.jpg

i wonder how much a true benchrest rifle, scope and associated rests cost? :spend::spend::spend:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Did a little bedding on the CZ457's action and seemed to help a little.

Cherry picked best 5 shot group this morning...

cXWtSMR.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Nice! Might be just what it needed! Have you experimented any with the torque on the action screws?

I had been running it with the action screws torqued to ~24 in-lb but started at ~20 this morning. Didn't like the results and bumped it up to ~29 in-lb after a few mags and left it there.

Barrel grub screws are torqued to ~38 in-lb and the barrel is headspaced to 0.043".

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Decided today to see how the 10/22 I picked up a couple of weeks ago shot. Threw the factory rail and a scope on it and went out back. Scope was close to mechanical zero but it shot about 2 feet right and a foot low at 20 yards. Ran out of adjustment well before getting zeroed, vertical was close to maxed out and horizontal still lacked a good 4". :xmad: Looks like somebody's going to do some shimming in the near future.

Plinker556

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2020
    Central Indiana
    Decided today to see how the 10/22 I picked up a couple of weeks ago shot. Threw the factory rail and a scope on it and went out back. Scope was close to mechanical zero but it shot about 2 feet right and a foot low at 20 yards. Ran out of adjustment well before getting zeroed, vertical was close to maxed out and horizontal still lacked a good 4". :xmad: Looks like somebody's going to do some shimming in the near future.

Kidd makes a rail that's already set up to correct that.
    https://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Aftermarket-Receiver-Scope-Base-With-Fitted-Slot_p_99.html

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom