• ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI

Has anyone used a BXR?
    I'm thinking about buying a target Ruger 10/22 and ran across this rifle.
    I have the BXR Carbon and it is the most accurate unsupressed .22lr that I have ever owned. It is almost boring accurate. I never thought that I would own a .22lr that was more accurate than my anschutz or my Savage MKII. The BXR Carbon is definitely more accurate, but it is only the difference between shooting a nickel and shooting a dime.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    One of the first .22 target rifles made by request From Colonel C.B. Winder to Winchester. It was designed by J.M. Browning in the late 1800's and superseded by a bolt action rifle and in 1922 these were sold off to the public. This one is a .22 short only and shoots like a dream.

When this one was made, companies like Stevens (who was the largest gun manufacturer in the world at the time) were producing many varieties of target rifles from simple models all the way to Schuetzen varieties. On Sundays, after church, many a church picnic was eaten and cleared with the boys going out to hang targets while the men got the rifles out of the carriages and the whole congregation would have a shoot. Stevens (who invented the .22lr ) was credited for being the first to market a rifle for women.

I don't know about you guys but I think I was born too late...
    1708701828504.jpeg

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I ended up getting a silly good deal on this Christensen Arms Ranger 22. It was on sale from Europtics and had a manufacturer rebate. I paid about 460 with tax. This guy is a shooter… it is ultra light with all that carbon and with 40 grain hollowpoints super fun to plonk with!

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      946.2 KB · Views: 12

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute

gunerd

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2024
    Indy South
    I have always preferred 22LR over other rifle calibers, I have 34 of them and I recently added my first official “Target” rifle. It was a 1925 Winchester model 52 very accurate and fun to shoot. Yesterday I bought a 1985 Remington 541 X Target 22LR. I dialed it in today at 50 yards and holy crap is this thing accurate. I thought some of my other 22’s were super accurate, but these two are definitely top dogs now.
    View attachment 274694
    Congratulations on your new addition. I love rimfire 22lr. and when I want to drive some tacks I always seem to grab my 1990s Marlin 39a

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a variety of .22 rifles and handguns ranging from Marlin 39s to a handful of CZs. As far as target rifles go I think the following would qualify for that title.
    Remington 541T
    Remington 513T
    Winchester Mod 75
    CZ 452 Varmints
    CZ 457 Match Target
    Mossberg US44 US Property
    Norinco K98 22 Trainer
    Russian Biathlon IZ 148 CM 2

There are probably a couple I’m forgetting but you get the idea. I love shooting .22 guns of all types. I enjoy my CZ452s, 455, 547 and 611s, the Weatherby XXII, Marlin 39As and 39Ms, the Walther and some others. Unfortunately I’m getting to the point where I can’t get out as much as I used to and need to start trimming the herd. The hard part is where to begin. I’ll get around to it one of these days.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been researching target rifles and what I've found is that if one wants better than 0.4" groups at 50yds your going to have to have a very expensive target rifle, and very expensive ammunition.
    Majority of target rifles have Bentz chamber, and that kind of limits it to certain types of not so cheap ammunition.
    My inexpensive Ruger 10/22 actually shoots as accurate I found as some guns 3x its cost with Ely force. I think if I was to put a 14 power scope on it I could probably shrink the 10 shot groups even more.
    That said my 10/22 is a varmint hunting rifle so not going to put a more powerful scope on it.
    I think for the money Ruger American Rimfire will do what I want once I find the ammunition it likes.
    If my 10/22 can shoot 0.65" 10 shot groups at 50yds with a 2-7 power scope a bolt action with a 14 power scope with the right ammunition should shrink those 10 shot groups.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I've been researching target rifles and what I've found is that if one wants better than 0.4" groups at 50yds your going to have to have a very expensive target rifle, and very expensive ammunition.
    Majority of target rifles have Bentz chamber, and that kind of limits it to certain types of not so cheap ammunition.
    My inexpensive Ruger 10/22 actually shoots as accurate I found as some guns 3x its cost with Ely force. I think if I was to put a 14 power scope on it I could probably shrink the 10 shot groups even more.
    That said my 10/22 is a varmint hunting rifle so not going to put a more powerful scope on it.
    I think for the money Ruger American Rimfire will do what I want once I find the ammunition it likes.
    If my 10/22 can shoot 0.65" 10 shot groups at 50yds with a 2-7 power scope a bolt action with a 14 power scope with the right ammunition should shrink those 10 shot groups.
    As much as I'm a big fan of target rifles & not a Ruger fan, I believe what you said holds a lot of truths.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a variety of .22 rifles and handguns ranging from Marlin 39s to a handful of CZs. As far as target rifles go I think the following would qualify for that title.
    Remington 541T
    Remington 513T
    Winchester Mod 75
    CZ 452 Varmints
    CZ 457 Match Target
    Mossberg US44 US Property
    Norinco K98 22 Trainer
    Russian Biathlon IZ 148 CM 2

There are probably a couple I’m forgetting but you get the idea. I love shooting .22 guns of all types. I enjoy my CZ452s, 455, 547 and 611s, the Weatherby XXII, Marlin 39As and 39Ms, the Walther and some others. Unfortunately I’m getting to the point where I can’t get out as much as I used to and need to start trimming the herd. The hard part is where to begin. I’ll get around to it one of these days.
    If your ever interested in selling your CZ 457 my son is interested in it.
    I took out a Cooper 57 that I bought 25? Years ago this morning.
    20240302_151914.jpg
    20240302_152003.jpg

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If your ever interested in selling your CZ 457 my son is interested in it.
    I took out a Cooper 57 that I bought 25? Years ago this morning.
    View attachment 337140
    View attachment 337141
    I’d love a Cooper, should’ve bought one when I went to Whittakers in Kentucky. That place was a rifleman’s Mecca!
    The CZs aren’t going anywhere! My favorite .22 for about 15 years or longer. I really like the Full Stock versions and have yet to get a 453.
    Recently traded for a Browning 22 Auto. I’ve wanted one since I was a kid 55 years ago but just never got one for some reason. I have Colt Woodsman’s but have never picked up a Match Target, yet.
    I don’t think I remember all the .22s I own but suffice it to say I love them. Enjoy your beautiful rifle!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I’d love a Cooper, should’ve bought one when I went to Whittakers in Kentucky. That place was a rifleman’s Mecca!
    The CZs aren’t going anywhere! My favorite .22 for about 15 years or longer. I really like the Full Stock versions and have yet to get a 453.
    Recently traded for a Browning 22 Auto. I’ve wanted one since I was a kid 55 years ago but just never got one for some reason. I have Colt Woodsman’s but have never picked up a Match Target, yet.
    I don’t think I remember all the .22s I own but suffice it to say I love them. Enjoy your beautiful rifle!
    I'm also curious to shoot one of the upper CZ 22's, my cousins store was/is a Cooper Dealer when I was buying them. It was about a year delivery time on them then and if you ordered one and took delivery and let others finger it for the weekend, at the Cooper Show at there store each year Dan would give you a wood upgrade for free.
    They were pretty reasonable to buy then, now not so much for new ones when they are available.
    The Brownings are another firearm one can hand down to the next few generations, I bought both of my sons blue Grade 3 BL22's. They have served them well, I really had to think over between the 22 autos and the levers before I bought them.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm also curious to shoot one of the upper CZ 22's, my cousins store was/is a Cooper Dealer when I was buying them. It was about a year delivery time on them then and if you ordered one and took delivery and let others finger it for the weekend, at the Cooper Show at there store each year Dan would give you a wood upgrade for free.
    They were pretty reasonable to buy then, now not so much for new ones when they are available.
    The Brownings are another firearm one can hand down to the next few generations, I bought both of my sons blue Grade 3 BL22's. They have served them well, I really had to think over between the 22 autos and the levers before I bought them.
    I took 3 452s to my buddy’s place down in central Kentucky. He had a Cooper, Annie’s and a nice Winchester 52. I came home with 2 CZs!!! He couldn’t believe how well they shot and at the time they were in the $300 range.

My Browning, don’t pick it up until Monday, is just a Grade 1 from the 70’s and has been shot a little but I intend to shoot it so I’m fine with that. I like the asthetics of the BL but didn’t care for the way the lever functioned. I have Marlin 39As and Ms.
    I’d like to find a nice case for the Browning to carry when taken down. It currently has a vantage Tasco on it but that will change.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I took 3 452s to my buddy’s place down in central Kentucky. He had a Cooper, Annie’s and a nice Winchester 52. I came home with 2 CZs!!! He couldn’t believe how well they shot and at the time they were in the $300 range.

My Browning, don’t pick it up until Monday, is just a Grade 1 from the 70’s and has been shot a little but I intend to shoot it so I’m fine with that. I like the asthetics of the BL but didn’t care for the way the lever functioned. I have Marlin 39As and Ms.
    I’d like to find a nice case for the Browning to carry when taken down. It currently has a vantage Tasco on it but that will change.
    My Dad bought my older bro and I an new Annie 54 Match in 1968 I believe, it still has a right handed position stock on it. I'm a lefty and my brother and father were not, so it is right handed.
    We shot it through HS and other than out once in awhile it sat for a few decades until my sons needed it with 4H and then JROTC rim-fire through HS.
    My father took a band saw :dunno: to the butt-stock and cut about 3" off the butt and then put the pad back on. After a few years he fitted a new piece of wood in and gave us back full LOP.
    I took it off again for my sons to shoot and while in HS the chunk went back in.
    I really need to get it up to Mark Penrod and have him set it in a more modern stock.
    It just keeps going on the back burner.

102.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rudyjr
    Top Bottom