• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I am buying a NAA mini revolver.Is it worth going for the magnum considering it has a short barrel , or stick with 22lr ? In such a short barrel is there much of a difference in actual power ? Just your opinion.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've never shot one but from what I've heard, recoil on the LR is substantial with the regular grip. The mag would be more so. You can always a a bigger grip later.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I am buying a NAA mini revolver.Is it worth going for the magnum considering it has a short barrel , or stick with 22lr ? In such a short barrel is there much of a difference in actual power ? Just your opinion.
    I have looked into this for myself. I have two .22wmr handguns, one is a NAA mini, the Wasp with 1 1/8" barrel, the other is a S&W 351PD. My ammo of choice for both guns is the Hornady Critical Defense .22wmr, or Speer Gold Dot .22wmr. Both are made for the short barreled revolvers, and are nicely accurate for self defense ranges. I will say it is hard to find that ammo right now, I have a some stashed away for my use.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    Without knowing what purpose you want it to fulfill .... I say go with the LR availability and shooting it more trumps whatever minor gains the mag gets.

If you're wanting a deep concealment tool for last ditch self defense....I had a customer that carried a mini for a while and he became more and more unsatisfied with it. Ended up ditching it and got a pocket sized autoloader.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    At the distances you would be using the NAA for self-defense, the Magnum has the advantage of scorch-melting the bad guy's face with the fireball. Always a good tactic to melt your opponent's face! :)

Seriously, I have the 4" mini master with both cylinders. The Magnum is a hoot to shoot after Dark.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Also want to add, on a serious note, the 22 magnum is a lot louder than the long rifle. In an enclosed space, such as a car, the magnum is going to be painful on the ears, as in, potentially permanent damage. So what you gain from the Magnum may not be worth it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    There is 22 Magnum ammo out there designed for shorter barrels, like the Speer Gold dot ammo reviewed in the video below. In this video, Paul demonstrates that the Speer Gold Dot can actually achieve some hollow point expansion, even with a barrel as short as 1 1/4 inch. I actually just picked up a box of this exact ammo from my LGS yesterday, trouble is, it was $27 for a 50-round box. At that price point, practice is going get expensive really quick.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Just a comment, a gun shop told me they have been trying for a year to get one in the shop , he said if you can find any , just get it now. YOU WILL be able to sell it later , so you can get that SPECIAL ONE you want.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Hardly any difference. I'd personally go 22lr that way I can shoot 22 long and 22 short. 22 magnum you are stuck with it and nothing else.
    Not quite. A .22 wmr can also fire the .22 wrf. But good luck finding any in stores. But then again I rarely see .22 long or short in stores.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not quite. A .22 wmr can also fire the .22 wrf. But good luck finding any in stores. But then again I rarely see .22 long or short in stores.
    My dad loves CCI CBs. I tried to get him to use long CB, but he thinks it will be louder. I tried to explain to him that it was the same velocity.

He has his favorite single shot 22lr rifle he has fired, so many CBs in it over the years that it was causing problems with LR rds. I had to take a brush, put it on a drill, and reamed the chamber real good to clean it enough to shoot LR again. He would put the 22lr in, and it would jam in and stick in the chamber. It took me a while to figure out what was causing it. At first, I thought the extractor was bad, or extractor spring was weak. It was just full of carbon build up from shooting CBs for many years.
    I will have to go through his firearms and clean them all thoroughly.
    He loves sitting on his porch and shooting blackbirds, and chipmunks.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought both over 30 yrs ago when I was fascinated by the smallest carry guns I could find.
    I regretted thinking I had to get the 22 magnum when I already had the 22LR.
    I barely could hit a 5 gallon bucket with the 22 magnum, even after getting a bigger grip for it.
    22LR shot a little better for me, but not by much, haha!

I gave the NAA up for the Beretta tip-up; barrels: 22LR, 25 acp & 32 acp.
    I now just use a Kahr CM9 when I need a small CC.

Top Bottom