• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    ammo hoarders represent the worst in us. sitting in their bunker/double wide watching endless Walking Dead episodes dreaming about the epic battle where whats left of humanity is reduced to whomever has the most ammo is in charge. ready to blow away a neighbor for the last twinkie on the shelf, or living in delusional paranoia that they will be attacked for their last roll of toilet paper.

stockpiling ammo to pour over like gollum to feel in control.

as an alternative, why not focus on how you can help your neighbors and fellow citizens, maybe stockpile some badly needed meds...

I present; Jerry's ammo room

[video=youtube;lxK515hsh6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxK515hsh6k[/video]

And this is no doubt, only a portion of it.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My 22lr hoarding is limited to what my 10/22 likes. It loves the CCI segmented 1640fps rds. Its around 1430 fps from my 10/22. But it shoots 1" 10 shot groups at 50yds with them. The only ammo it seems to like. My Taurus TX22 loves them also.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have a load of Hi Standard semi-auto's that are older than I am so I tend to keep the standard velocity stuff around.

I can remember when 'cheap' .22 meant dirty, not unreliable. Now they have you pay more to try and tear you gun up...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I have a load of Hi Standard semi-auto's that are older than I am so I tend to keep the standard velocity stuff around.

I can remember when 'cheap' .22 meant dirty, not unreliable. Now they have you pay more to try and tear you gun up...

I remember when I was a kid at camp we could shoot 22 shorts there. They bought seconds cause they were cheaper. Many of them had gobs of waxy stuff on the bullets we had to scrape off with our fingernails. But I don't remember even one that didn't fire.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    Interesting post. I did notice a lot of 22 on the shelf. Almost bought some, but I don’t have a 22. Does anyone have a recommendation for my first 22 cal?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    But the freedom that suppliers have exists alongside the freedom of the consumers to vote with their money and with reviews. Both groups have the right to exercise their freedom and the pressures will determine the market.

Exactly. Free enterprise-- voluntary cooperation is a system or profit AND loss. Some win, some will lose. As long as nobody is compelled against their will, we all win.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Interesting post. I did notice a lot of 22 on the shelf. Almost bought some, but I don’t have a 22. Does anyone have a recommendation for my first 22 cal?

If you don't already have a Ruger 10/22, which you should cause every shooter was issued one at birth, you should get one. They are great all around plinking rifles. Plenty of parts available, simple, built like a tank and can be found for a decent price. I also like Tyler's Mod 60 suggestion. I have both but my model 60 seems to require only higher velocity ammo or it wants to jam up, so my #1 pick is my Ruger.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Certainly nothing wrong with the Marlin Model 60, but I'd go with the 10/22 first. Pretty fine little shooter straight out of the box and endlessly modifiable to your personal preferences or tastes.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Strange how it varies: .22LR, .380, 9mm, .40 and .45 are nearly wiped out around here when it comes to local shelves, and when it comes in, it departs quickly.
    Seems true for .223/5.56 and 7.62x39, too.
    Rural King had four 100-count boxes of Federal .223 on Saturday morning. I bought two, left two for the next guy.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Specific purpose for the 22? Training/mimic of a centerfire EDC or a centerfire rifle? Plinking? Benchrest for groups, etc? It's kind of hard to make a suggestion without more info.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

Rifle:

Ruger 10/22 - inexpensive and practically a required gun to own
    S&W 15-22 - emulates an AR and absolutely fun to shoot

On my list of want to haves is a tube fed .22 - just because

Handgun:

Ruger Wrangler or Heritage Rough Rider (because these SA revolvers are just fun and you won't shoot up your hard to find ammo quite as fast), actually any .22 revolver that you like, but these are inexpensive and fun.
    If you are a Glock person then a Glock 44 - it really is a nice gun even if a bit expensive
    If you are S&W person then an M&P 22 compact
    If you want to plink for a bit cheaper then a Taurus TX-22
    If you are a 1911 person I have read nice things about the American Tactical imported GSG 1911 and it doesn't break the bank

There is a .22lr gun that will fit in with whatever guns you currently own and plenty that will take you in a new direction.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll go a different way on the suggestion for first .22 rifle. Pick one of the good bolt action guns on the market and put a decent piece of glass on top. Or better yet, put a nice peep sight setup on.

Learn yourself how to shoot better vs making a bunch of noise really fast. Even when ammo is readily available and cheap, we should be training ourselves (and our youth) to shoot vs spraying and praying. :twocents:

10/22's a great SECOND .22 rifle.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Strange how it varies: .22LR, .380, 9mm, .40 and .45 are nearly wiped out around here when it comes to local shelves, and when it comes in, it departs quickly.
    Seems true for .223/5.56 and 7.62x39, too.
    Rural King had four 100-count boxes of Federal .223 on Saturday morning. I bought two, left two for the next guy.

Some ammo's coming through, at Highsmiths over the weekend they had at least 20-30 cases of 9mm and I saw about 10 cases at least of 5.56 as well as other calibers.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    Great feedback. Thank you, I will start researching some of these models. Seems like they would be a lot of fun to shoot and practice with. I’m just looking for the basic rifle and pistol, not for any specific purpose other than starting to explore the caliber and all the fun everyone seems to have with it.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'll go a different way on the suggestion for first .22 rifle. Pick one of the good bolt action guns on the market and put a decent piece of glass on top. Or better yet, put a nice peep sight setup on.

Learn yourself how to shoot better vs making a bunch of noise really fast. Even when ammo is readily available and cheap, we should be training ourselves (and our youth) to shoot vs spraying and praying. :twocents:

10/22's a great SECOND .22 rifle.

This is the first step to becoming a better rifleman. Forces you to repeat the 4 Fundamentals of Marksmanship. Every. Single. Time.

You can do it with a semi-auto (load 1 round each time), but you won't want to...

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    The bolt action boys have a point.
    OTH, there's nothing wrong with pushing a reactive target around on the grass (under proper range conditions) or making plates ping with a 10/22 or Marlin Model 60, either.
    One of the biggest selling points of the .22LR in adult hands, IMO, is you can do pretty much whatever you choose to do relatively inexpensively and with minimal noise and recoil.
    The things are fun ... so have fun the way you like. Responsibly, of course.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Covid-Ammo-sales.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think there's utility in a .22LR conversion for an AR versus building a dedicated .22AR. I think the 2A and CMMG units are both said to be pretty reliable.

Not sure if there's an accuracy issue running RF in a CF barrel, but on paper it sounds like a good idea.

Top Bottom