• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • koenig clone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    fairmount
    i recently upgraded my 10/22 with a hogue stock and tactical solutions barrel. I ran some basic remingtons through it and couldnt believe how inconsistent and dirty they were. what's the best? I'm not hunting with it, just target shooting. I would prefer to stay away from hollow point lead.

any suggestions before i go blow a bunch of money on different ammo?

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I have luck with subsonics, but I shoot a bolt action. If you can find a 1000ish fps round you may see some improvement.

The remington green box subsonic ammo works pretty good for me, haven't tried much other stuff yet.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    this question is impossible to answer due to the fact that every rifle is diffrent. in my 452 wolf is the most accurate that i have tried but i may shoot horible in yours

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    subs

Subsonic and std velocity ammo tend to be more consistent and consequently more accurate. SK std and Wolf MT are manufactured to the same specs on the same line and should shoot the same in your gun with possible variations lot to lot. I've tried the Wolf match extra and for the extra money the difference in accuracy is negligible. Remington makes some types that use Eley's primer and they're nearly as pricey as eley ammo(GOOD STUFF)and pretty consistent. RWS is usually not quite as pricey as the Eley but very near the constant quality. I've had very good luck with their subsonic h/p ammo. CCI also makes std velocity fodder target ammo but I've had no luck with it in my LR guns. Their .22 short tgt ammo is the best I've found for my Browning ATD for accuracy.:rockwoot:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    this question is impossible to answer due to the fact that every rifle is diffrent. in my 452 wolf is the most accurate that i have tried but i may shoot horible in yours

This +1. You get to try everything to find out what your 22 likes. It will probably like a few, and what it does not like will stand out.

Funny, if there was only one BEST, wouldn't all the others go out of business from lack of sales?

Have fun shooting.....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have tested a lot of different brands through my Savage. .22 ammo is the most picky. You'll have to find what works best for your rifle.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    If you're looking for decent bulk packs I've had very good luck with Federal in my 10/22. Haven't tried much of the match ammo other than a couple boxes of Wolf I got at the last 1500. Only a couple boxes but didn't have any issues with it.

DNRrangemaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Andrews, In
    22 Ammo

I upgraded my 10-22 a long time back with a Gun Parts Corp. bbl.(24") and a Reinhart-Fajen laminated camo stock. Added a Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x32 scope and it shoots pretty well at 25 yds. with the Rem bulk pak 36grHP ammo(10 shots in less than 1/4"@25 yds) and does well at 50 yds with CCI Green Tag(1070fps) with 10 shots on a nickel. But there is no way to tell what yours will prefer until you wring out a few. I found that mine will shoot most any ammo for head shots on squirrels at 25 yds, but prefers std velocity ammo for longer shots. Just my 2 cents...

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have had the best accuracy with Remington Target Rifle. It comes in a plastic box with a yellow and green label. It's made by Eley and I have had great luck with it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Last trip out to the range I shot a steel plate at 300 yards with my savage using wolf match. It was the prettiest group ever and the scope was maxed out, but I'll count it. The wolf match is becoming more popular for people looking for match grade subsonic ammo.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Really its the gun as I use a cz 452 with rem thunderbolt that is a 1.87 per 50 so basically the cheapest stuff hole in hole at 50 yds isnt even that hard to get as it was done while sighting in the rifle and zephri hit all 4 staples holding the target on in 4 shots with cross wind. I used someones 597 and was able to hit a 2in target at 150yd with bulk pack so I a soooo am wanting to get this cz out to a decent length range and see what it can do. Of course I have only shot the cheapest ammo I can find so i really dont know if cci or any match ammo is better?

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Wolf Match Target is what I always shoot out of all my .22's. Extremely consistent, exremely accurate. Not russian bulk ammo, its made at the Lapua factory on a seperate line & sold under the wolf brand, but just like the Center-X. I just picked up another 500rds at the AmmunitionStore.com. Great stuff!

boxes__17317__63527_zoom.jpg

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    If you really want to find the best ammo, you need to try Eley Tenex. But, if your question is what's the best cheap ammo, Mini Mags are usually fine for casual purposes. In between the Wolf MT and SK Standard Plus (which, by all accounts are the same thing) are a good compromise.

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    With a scope on my 10/22, and albeit a very light recoil/bolt/main spring, RWS 60gr sub sonic are through the same hole 90% of the time at 100yds from a rest. From a bipod, it is one jagged hole, no bigger than a dime.

But basically, as others have mentioned, every rifle will shooting the same ammo slightly to very differently. Some rifles like the cheap stuff (Bulk Remington/Federal Red Box/Winchester standard vel), and some wont shot anything but the high end Eley/Wolf Match stuff. I must have tried 10 different brands, including Armscor trash, until I found what works for my tack driver.

Flaming Pig...WOOT WOOT!!

P.S. After thought...If you use any of the match grade ammo, most of it is moly coated. That stuff can really gum up the works on a new tight rifle. Keep her clean and she'll do you right!

Last edited:

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Have one gun that loves the Remington Golden bullets and another the Federal premium.
    American Eagle are good also. Have had friends that liked CCI Green tag.

The Remington Thunderbolts or Blunderbolts are the worst, dirty and unreliable; IMO.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Wolf target match is good stuff but I have found that CCI SGB (small game bullet) is probably the most accurate across the board of all my 22 rimfires with the exception of Eley and Federal Gold match. Good shooting

Top Bottom