.22LR WoW....am not believing what I am seeing..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have not been buying much ammo in the last year. Before that I was stocking up when I could and getting fair prices etc. I was also loading up on .22LR. I have bricks of the stuff plus many small boxes of specialty ammo.

Federal, Blazer, CCI, Remington to name a few.

Now here is the weird part, a friend who is now in Virginia called and asked if I would be willing to part with a few for $50 pe 500/550 box. I thought he was nuts but brushed it off. Now I read that those bricks are $50-75 a box!!:n00b:

Is this real? Is this a fad (I think it will come back soon)?:dunno:

Well I wanted to get a LCR in .22LR. I figured about $450 for the pistol. That is just 9 boxes of .22 for a trade/sell. Now I am not so sure as maybe I should just hang on to it just in case, I mean that is why I bought it and I was pissed paying $20 per 500. I knew .22LR was the most useful ammo in times of need and that is why I bought so much.

What about 9mm? I paid $10-12 per 50, 45ACP $15 per 50, .223 $4 per 20, .44Mag $34 per 50.

What is really going on here? I have not bought for 6 months at least. What happened? Is this something to do with the 1.5Billion round purchase by HS?
    Really is .22LR hard to get? Why? Does anyone know why?:ingo:

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    lol you must have not spoken to a single gun nut in the past 4 months cuz that is literally all you'd have heard about!

I'll keep it short and sweet: school shooting, obama threatens to ban some guns and stuff, people freak out, people by as many guns as possible, people buy as many mags as possible, people buy as much ammo as possible, supply runs out, demand is high, people start to pay crazy prices for said stuff...

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    oh BTW please, if you can help it, do not start selling your ammo at these prices. It's your ammo and you can do with it how you please. But, the people selling ammo at these high prices are just as much to blame as the people buying it for these prices. It's only going to make it that much longer for prices to come back down to earth.

corronade

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    kokomo
    Take Action

If you want to ever see those prices again. I suggest that you and everyone else
    email, call, or write these guys and let them know that this is
    unacceptable. They should not tolerate any attack on our rights and its their duty to serve the public.

Here is some useful information on email and phone numbers:patriot:

Senate: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm?State=IN

House: http://www.house.gov/representatives/#state_id

Without action you are aggreeing to their ideas.:patriot:

rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Its not a joke. i just looked it up. They are just as bad as a common thief. call it free marketing or what ever you want to call it. THAT IS JUST STRICKTLY THEFT.
    i sent them an e-mail telling them that I will never buy anything from them again.
    I would like to see others do the same. maybe then they will get the message.
    i know prices are high. right now and i get that. there is no way no how that a box of .22 shells costs anybody that much. there aint that much in material, packaging, ink to print the box. or the guy that wrote out the script for the site. COMBINED.
    please people dont buy a single item from them. grrrrrrrrrrr

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Welcome out of your hibernation, edsinger:D

I saw a new term the other day: "ammo-flipping". I know folks that flip houses (or used to), but I never thought about doing that with ammo. What a country.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I guess I need to clarify something. (1) I know about the push by the administration and the like. (2) I heard ammo was tough to come by for sure but I assumed it was just the usual 9mm, 45, 40, .223 etc. I have had a few conversations about it. I just did not know about the .22 or at least grasp the depth of it I guess.

I just can not believe what .22 has done. In the last shortage I was buying .22 also as I thought it a good investment at the time. Turns out it was.

I do not wish to sell it per se, and even the wife is saying why get rid of it? I tend to agree with her but it might make for a nice trade.

I mean there is none out there. I paid $7 for 50 rounds of Ely and now that is the only thing I can find it stock and its $25 a box. This is stupid.

Gunbroker....I will not even go there..I looked for my LCR in .22 and its going for $575 or so....I will not pay that for it.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    What are thoughts on trading ammo for guns? I was thinking of rather than selling ammo at the outrageous prices to buy a gun out outrages prices. Trade ammo a pre panic pricing equal to a gun at pre panic pricing here on INGO. What do you guys think?

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    What are thoughts on trading ammo for guns? I was thinking of rather than selling ammo at the outrageous prices to buy a gun out outrages prices. Trade ammo a pre panic pricing equal to a gun at pre panic pricing here on INGO. What do you guys think?

Not a bad idea I guess...I was even thinking ammo for silver and such....hmmm

Lets out that into perspective..

2010/11 550 federal .22LR pack -- $20 Silver $35
    2013 federal .22LR pack -- $50/75 Silver $29

what is wrong with this picture? Ammo was the better investment.

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not a bad idea I guess...I was even thinking ammo for silver and such....hmmm

Lets out that into perspective..

2010/11 550 federal .22LR pack -- $20 Silver $35
    2013 federal .22LR pack -- $50/75 Silver $29

what is wrong with this picture? Ammo was the better investment.
    I was thinking of trading a fair amount of ammo and a little silver for an expensive gun that I have been wanting. Like a Thompson 1927A1 or SR-556. I would be more likely to give up some ammo and silver in stock than a couple of stacks of $100 bills.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    oh BTW please, if you can help it, do not start selling your ammo at these prices. It's your ammo and you can do with it how you please. But, the people selling ammo at these high prices are just as much to blame as the people buying it for these prices. It's only going to make it that much longer for prices to come back down to earth.

That isn't really true. When the supply curve remains more or less static as it has and the demand curve shifts, the curves meet at a new point and price increases result. The only way to bring prices down prices are to decrease demand or increase supply. Supply is slowly starting to pick up and demand will dwindle as the chaos subsides.

If he sells his ammo at that price his friend may not be one of those guys standing in line at walmart to get a hold of some .22. That might mean that someone else will get it at retail price and their demand will be removed from the market. If he sells it to a friend at retail, the friend is more likely to use up the ammo quickly and not conserve at which point he may renter the market as a buyer again, thus increasing demand. (I'm not saying you shouldn't sell it at retail for a friend, but it doesn't help solve the current supply issue)

This would all be over much quicker if there were no big box stores sticking with retail prices and instead the prices rose to whatever the current market price is. No one would be hoarding .223 at 75 cents for some Wolf. Relatively quickly competition would push prices down as people would realizes that there is no shortage and not be willing to pay the inflated prices.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom