• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've never loaded 10mm.
    I looked in one of my manuals and they list a load for a 180gr XTP projectile with Hercules 2400, but does not list Alliant.
    I know Alliant purchased Hercules some time back but I don't know if it is interchangeable.

Can I substitute Alliant for Hercules 2400?
    I have both. I only have one older pound can of Hercules, but I have a couple of pounds of Alliant.

This will be for a 1911A1 in 10mm.
    Thanks

fender

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    southern indiana
    I use them with the same data. I have read that 2400 has become a little faster over the years that it has been made. I use 21gr with a 240gr swc for my Keith load rather than his 22grs for 44 mag.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There was a stir about this over at Cast Boolits some years back, if I remember correctly there wasn't much difference. I'm still running on Hercules with about 12 pounds left.

dg101win

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    North Central In.
    I've never loaded 10mm.
    I looked in one of my manuals and they list a load for a 180gr XTP projectile with Hercules 2400, but does not list Alliant.
    I know Alliant purchased Hercules some time back but I don't know if it is interchangeable.

Can I substitute Alliant for Hercules 2400?
    I have both. I only have one older pound can of Hercules, but I have a couple of pounds of Alliant.

This will be for a 1911A1 in 10mm.
    Thanks

My first thought would be just how old is your manual if 2400 is listed in it by the name Hercules and not Alliant. I forget when Alliant bought out Hercules but it was quite some time ago. At that time all they did was change the name of the company doing the manufacture of the powder. I just peeled back the label on a 8 lb. container of Red Dot underneath the Alliant label was the original Hercules name. That container is at least 20 years old.

Basically yes they are interchangeable.HOWEVER there can be differences between each lot of the same powder.

Over the years Alliant may have made minor changes to the powder-look at what they did with Unique(cleaner burning). As with any new to you caliber or powder start low and work up your loads.

If I were you I would use your Hecules powder first then use the Alliant powder. If you are working near a MAX load when switching powders drop your load down and work back up.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Are you using it with Alliant data?

As old as 2400 is and as old as I am I've used about all the data that's out there. I've never used it for 10mm though, the vast majority of 2400 loading for me has been in old cast lead cartridges. My only issues with it over the years were with lighter loads in 45 LC. The ignition was inconsistent.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As old as 2400 is and as old as I am I've used about all the data that's out there. I've never used it for 10mm though, the vast majority of 2400 loading for me has been in old cast lead cartridges. My only issues with it over the years were with lighter loads in 45 LC. The ignition was inconsistent.

Thank you.
    I picked up a can of Hercules 2400 at a recent gun show because it was at a discounted price, and the dealer was someone I trust. He assured me that it was viable powder that had been properly stored.
    As stated above, I've yet to load my first 10mm round, but I was perusing my "Modern Reloading" manual 2nd edition by Richard Lee.
    I noticed a load using Hornady 180gr XTP's and "Herc 2400", but it did not list Alliant.

The manual is a 2000 edition, revised and re-formated in 2011, with the latest re-printing being in 2016.
    I thought Hercules had been gone long before that.

I'm just being overly cautious I know, but as a still fairly inexperienced hand loader, I'm not taking any unnecessary chances.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    A friend who no longer reloads gave me a third of a drum of Hercules 2400 about 3 years ago. I've used it in all my Keith .357 loads since and using Elmer's original recipe (358429 Lyman mold). Getting ready right now to reload some .357 a bit lighter for my Blackhawk. Up to now I've been loading for a rifle for deer hunting. I ran a few thru the Blackhawk and while it's stout enough for such a load, sadly, I am not . LOL

Top Bottom