• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I recently picked up a .308 for 'yotes, but the choice was weighted by the fact that I already load .308, and I do not have anything else in .243 caliber. I have looked at the .243 Win, and thought seriously about going that way though, as I am sure it would be a good all around cartridge for medium game. Stick with hunting bullets in the heavier weights in .243, as the target bullets tend to have lighter jackets and may cause some pretty spectacular exit wounds in coyote sized game. I do not save the pelts, only trying to keep a few more of my chickens and turkeys alive, so its all 168 gr BTHPs for me.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Great info yall, thanks! ... still weighing my options and waiting on incoming funds. I'm debating getting a Thompson center dimension rifle (brand new this year -- just showing up at stores right now) It's a bolt action with interchangeable barrels... sounded a little hokey at first, but after looking up all I can online, I really like the **potential** of buying a new barrel for $200 (a little more if you change caliber families = new bolt, mag, AND barrel required. see their website) and having a whole new gun.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Great info yall, thanks! ... still weighing my options and waiting on incoming funds. I'm debating getting a Thompson center dimension rifle (brand new this year -- just showing up at stores right now) It's a bolt action with interchangeable barrels... sounded a little hokey at first, but after looking up all I can online, I really like the **potential** of buying a new barrel for $200 (a little more if you change caliber families = new bolt, mag, AND barrel required. see their website) and having a whole new gun.

another benifit unlike the encore is you buy 1 good scope and use it on multiple calibers. with the encore system you had to remount all the time, with the deminsion the scope mounts to the receiver not the barrel

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I've always liked the 243 round. My brother uses it out west alot. I finally bought a Howa in 243 and love the 58 gr hornady varmint loads

odie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I think any thing that goes bang is a good gun to kill dogs with. heck i have killed them with a 22 mag more than once. when I was younger I didnt know that a 22 mag was not a high powered rifle.

Top Bottom